Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

How Peter Frampton Almost Joined the Rolling Stones (video)
Posted by: gagiwh ()
Date: March 3, 2022 20:49

Peter Frampton recalls nearly replacing guitarist Mick Taylor in the Rolling Stones.

[www.youtube.com]

Re: How Peter Frampton Almost Joined the Rolling Stones (video)
Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: March 3, 2022 22:00

He never almost joined.It was either Perkins or Wood

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 3, 2022 22:15

One of many almost made it. The list just get bigger every year. But they did not (and didn't almost any of them turned the offer down?). I wonder how serious Mick or Keith ever were with many of these names.

- Doxa

Posted by: gustavobala ()
Date: March 3, 2022 22:24

keith wants wood

Date: March 3, 2022 22:38

gustavobala
keith wants wood

Actually I recall reading Wood was more Mick's choice. Keith thought Woody's playing style was too similar to his (although he liked Ronnie as a person). Keith was more looking for a Mick Taylor type of lead guitarist (like Perkins), something he's been used to play with for years then. The 'ancient art of weaving' took some time/years to develop. It wasn't planned.

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2022-03-03 22:50 by Doxa.

Date: March 3, 2022 22:39

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-03-03 22:40 by Doxa.

Date: March 3, 2022 23:01

Doxa
gustavobala
keith wants wood

Actually I recall reading Wood was more Mick's choice. Keith thought Woody's playing style was too similar to his (although he liked Ronnie as a person). Keith was more looking for a Mick Taylor type of lead guitarist (like Perkins), something he's been used to play with for years then. The 'ancient art of weaving' took some time/years to develop. It wasn't planned.

- Doxa

That's how I remember reading about the issue as well. Perkins was living with Keith for weeks to get the ins and outs, but Jagger at the last moment wanted to try someone else. According to Keith at the time: "Perkins was disappointed cause he almost had gotten the job".

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: March 3, 2022 23:21

I almost joined the Rolling Stones on the tambourine. But they never asked me.

Date: March 4, 2022 01:03

Mick did not want an American guitarist.And Rod Stewart was almost as big as the Stones at the time.Mick wanted the band to be rock n roll band.Not a blues or prof band.Wood made sense

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: March 4, 2022 01:23

Taylor1
Mick did not want an American guitarist.And Rod Stewart was almost as big as the Stones at the time.Mick wanted the band to be rock n roll band.Not a blues or prof band.Wood made sense

What is a prof band?

Date: March 4, 2022 02:01

Sorry meant prog band, like Gentle Giant

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: March 4, 2022 05:50

Taylor1

I used to listen to Gentle Giant in high school. A great time for music.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: March 4, 2022 11:52

Doxa
gustavobala
keith wants wood

- Doxa

Jagger wanted Mandel and Richards wanted Perkins. Wood was the compromise.

Date: March 4, 2022 12:32

TravelinMan
Doxa
gustavobala
keith wants wood

- Doxa

I didn’t know Jagger wanted Mandel.I think Perkins would have been a better musicalfit.Did they ever consider John Lennon?

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: March 4, 2022 13:06

Taylor1

nice typo (prof/prog band).
if Jagger didn't want a prof(essional) band Wood was somehow the right choice – at least when you think about some times when Wood was too drunk or too lazy to play well

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: March 4, 2022 13:08

Doxa
One of many almost made it. The list just get bigger every year. But they did not (and didn't almost any of them turned the offer down?). I wonder how serious Mick or Keith ever were with many of these names.

- Doxa
In a lot of ways it was almost pre determined and I imagine the twins went thru the motions to leave no stone (no pun intended ) unturned . Just doing there due diligence .

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: March 4, 2022 14:08

Taylor1
TravelinMan
Doxa
gustavobala
keith wants wood

- Doxa

I didn’t know Jagger wanted Mandel.I think Perkins would have been a better musicalfit.Did they ever consider John Lennon?

Lennon? As a guitar player???? haha. Whatever you think about Lennon he surely wasn't the best guitar player in that other band…

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: March 4, 2022 14:39

Taylor1
Did they ever consider John Lennon?

Even in 75 MIck and Keef probably (and rightly) considered Lennon as a bit of a jerk.
And bringing in Lennon would have meant bringing in Yoko too... a flagrant violation of one of the many unwritten rules among the stones (like : "NO female interference in the inner work of the band!").

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: March 4, 2022 16:58

TravelinMan
Doxa
gustavobala
keith wants wood

- Doxa

& Charlie was intrigued by Jeff Beck. Aren't we all?

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 4, 2022 17:37

slewan
Taylor1
TravelinMan
Doxa
gustavobala
keith wants wood

- Doxa

Lennon? As a guitar player???? haha. Whatever you think about Lennon he surely wasn't the best guitar player in that other band…

Well my first thought with that was, who the hell is gonna play lead? But quickly after, would Lennon even consider it? It seems laughable, but I don't know that period of time very well so was that even 'in the air' as a possibility?

First time I've ever heard that posited.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: March 4, 2022 19:05

Taylor1
Did they ever consider John Lennon?

I don't even know where to start with that.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: March 4, 2022 20:07

treaclefingers
slewan
Taylor1
TravelinMan
Doxa
gustavobala
keith wants wood

- Doxa
I have to also think John Lennon had his hands full in this time period with his recreation .

Well my first thought with that was, who the hell is gonna play lead? But quickly after, would Lennon even consider it? It seems laughable, but I don't know that period of time very well so was that even 'in the air' as a possibility?

First time I've ever heard that posited.

Date: March 4, 2022 20:43

crholmstrom

& Charlie was intrigued by Jeff Beck. Aren't we all?

That would have lasted one week. Jeff Beck became a force of nature at the time.

Date: March 4, 2022 21:27

slewan
Taylor1
TravelinMan
Doxa
gustavobala
keith wants wood

- Doxa

You are right but he was the better writer

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: March 4, 2022 23:46

As a Stone Ron Wood was the best choice, I don't think any of the others wouldn't still be in the Stones........the only problem with my ears is that I not always was aware who was playing Kieth or Ronnie and yes I did missed Mick's melodic playing as Peter mentioned in the interview ........

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 5, 2022 17:06

Taylor1
slewan
Taylor1
TravelinMan
Doxa
gustavobala
keith wants wood

- Doxa

You are right but he was the better writer

That would have been interesting when it came to the songwriting credits.

Jagger/Lennon/Richards? (alphabetical?)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1724
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home