Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Digitize Stones DVD’s to my hard drive?
Posted by: chevysales ()
Date: December 31, 2021 16:32

So just got my new 16” MacBook Pro M1 Max and wondering if anyone has a better way of saving all DVD’s I own from The Stones like Four Flicks, A Bigger Bang and titles like that. I’ve put this off for years not really pleased with results s from some “rips” a decade plus back.
I own them and the only DVD player I still have is my USB Apple Super Drive (from a 2013 MBP I had) that I must use USB A to C dongle to even use with my MBP. Though these days other than the movies I have no real use for it either.

So I have handbrake and have used it a lot in the past for various projects etc but looking for something to make a 1 to 1 copy of. I have a 2 TB ssd on Mac as I had on previous 2019 intel 16”. Was hoping with new Apple Silicon maybe some better programs available to copy my Library without degradation?

I have a bunch of iTunes/Music app based 4K movies but no where have I found most of these titles available to purchase and yes I’d pay again if it was less hassle. After all we fans have rebought a ton of music already smiling smiley.

So not concerned if I must buy the software to do the job professionally. Just kind of looking for software users are personally familiar with.
BTW none of the DVD's are Blue Ray.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2021-12-31 16:51 by chevysales.

Re: Ripping Stones DVD’s to hard drive
Posted by: Irix ()
Date: December 31, 2021 17:00

If you wanna rip DVDs/BRs under macOS (M1 ARM-Chip) you could use the program MakeMKV. DVDFab has also a Mac-version (Intel) but there were complaints that it doesn't work properly with the M1. AnyDVD is only available on Intel/Windows.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-12-31 17:25 by Irix.

Re: Digitize Stones DVD’s to my hard drive?
Date: December 31, 2021 17:22

Hey Thanks I'll research those a bit.

Was wondering if there is anything commercially available yet or is it still fought against by the studios? Haven't even looked at this in a long time back on windows based machines for me so that would be prior 2013 for last deep dive.But I'm sure I'm not alone as far as saving dvd's one owns...

EDIT: The Make MKV software looks like its used widely and has some darn good results from what I just browsed. Thanks I knew someone here would know what works.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-12-31 17:30 by chevysales.

Date: December 31, 2021 17:45

chevysales

Was wondering if there is anything commercially available yet or is it still fought against by the studios?

AnyDVD can be tried for free and without restrictions for 21 days. The MakeMKV beta can be used for 60 days. DVDFab can be tested 30 days for free. After that you have to purchase a license.

DVDs/BRs are still copy-protected and the Movie-Industry doesn't like it when people make copies of them so it's still in a legal grey area.

Date: December 31, 2021 18:00

Btw: DVDs/BRs are already digital, so there's nothing to digitize - only copying to HDD/SSD (ripping). Digitizing was converting analogue Tape or Vinyl into computer-files.

Date: December 31, 2021 18:20

Mac DVD/BR ripper which claims to be M1 and macOS12 compatible - [www.EaseFab.com] .

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: December 31, 2021 18:56

ok i figured this out after a lot of trial and error

what i do is use an old version of freemake video converter to convert the dvd to avi

then i use avidemux to crop the video edit out the freemake logo and up the resolution then i save it as a mp4 video

maybe not the normal or fastest way but i like the results i get

looks as good as the original

Date: December 31, 2021 19:59

Thanx.
Yea the digitize came from left field. As you are correct just copying to SSD. though I think I still have 89 Atlantic City on VHS I used the 6th option so recording isn’t worth the trouble but remember that pay per view well smiling smiley

Thanks again for all the help for all who replied.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2517
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home