Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567
Current Page: 7 of 7
Re: Why did the well run dry?
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 31, 2021 18:51

Taylor1
With Bill in the band there were like 20 studio albums in 27 years.With Darryl , 3 albums in 27years.

I knew this was all Darryl's fault!

Date: December 31, 2021 18:53

I wonder what would happen if Ronnie & Chuck formed a new songwriting nexus within the band?

Think about the possibilities!

A cross between "Dance Pt. 1" & "Back To Zero".

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: December 31, 2021 19:48

treaclefingers
I wonder what would happen if Ronnie & Chuck formed a new songwriting nexus within the band?

and zero chance the twins would share a credit or that it would ever see the light of day ! but the possibilities are endless though .

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 31, 2021 20:16

TheGreek
treaclefingers

and zero chance the twins would share a credit or that it would ever see the light of day ! but the possibilities are endless though .

At this point they might have to recruit Karl Denson in the songwriting department - maybe he can help them get it done.
Probably wouldn't be very Stonesy, but might be better than nothing...and maybe Sasha can lend a hand?

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: December 31, 2021 20:40

I’d be very happy with an album of the high quality of Bridges to Babylon. Had they not made solo albums and saved the best songs from them for the Stones albums , people might have a higher opinion of some of those albums

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: December 31, 2021 20:41

Hairball
TheGreek
treaclefingers

At this point they might have to recruit Karl Denson in the songwriting department - maybe he can help them get it done.
Probably wouldn't be very Stonesy, but might be better than nothing...and maybe Sasha can lend a hand?
The more the merry and It could be a team effort .

Date: December 31, 2021 20:51

Taylor1
I’d be very happy with an album of the high quality of Bridges to Babylon. Had they not made solo albums and saved the best songs from them for the Stones albums , people might have a higher opinion of some of those albums

Not in love with that album, but it had several high points so I would concur...even that would be great right now.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 31, 2021 21:31

TheGreek
Hairball
TheGreek
treaclefingers

The more the merry and It could be a team effort .

Might end up as the Keith team vs. the Mick team, and they end up tie score at 0-0 by hitting a wall, and then it's back to the drawing board where it all began.

Posted by: GerardHennessy ()
Date: January 1, 2022 17:06

floodonthepage
GerardHennessy
Hairball
It's sad for some of the fans deprived of any new music that the band has been talking about for many years...
But of course some will cheer on anything the band does...or doesn't do...
No new album? Great news.

Well said my friend. Constructive criticism or any kind of objective assessment of the lack of creativity by the band is seized upon by some as a kind of unforgivable treachery. Speaking personally - without in any way criticising different views - I am disappointed by the water-treading activities of the past ten years. Another of my very favourite bands - Hawkwind - still average an album a year. And they are led by Dave Brock who is even older than Jagger & Richards. Some of what they do does not work, but a lot of it does. And everything they produce at least has the merit of being interesting. Oh yes, and they still perform live too.

I'm not saying that The Stones should copy Hawkwind. Or that they are inferior in any way. My reference to another band is simply to provide another perspective on The Stones. In 2017-18 I saw Hawkwind three times in 18 months. Each concert featured around 20 numbers. Only FIVE numbers featured in all three performances. Hawkwind have their warhorses too, but are never afraid to move things around. I do wish The Stones would be JUST A LITTLE more like them in concert. At least sometimes.

And for God's sake can we get that new album over and done with? Or else come right out and say it ain't gonna happen. This 'will-they, won't-they' business is really tiresome now. Personally I don't think they should bother. After all the delays, and hints and leaks, whatever might be produced is likely to be underwhelming, and reviewed patronisingly as such...

I for one do not look at it as "unforgiveable treachery" that people feel that the Stones should make more records, though yes...it seems there is evidence of that from some comments on these pages. It's simply that I don't feel that they owe us anything. It's not blind love for everything they do or even "great news" that they aren't making more music than they do. A new record would be great. That said, IMHO...lack of output doesn't equate to laziness as some have said. Seems to me if it isn't there then it isn't there. Whether it's because they can't get along/agree or because it isn't a priority because they'd maybe rather focus on shows...I certainly don't claim to know. But it doesn't feel like constructive criticism or objective to compare one band to another and say that one isn't pulling their weight somehow because they aren't doing what another band is doing. That seems subjective to me. Different strokes different folks. Different bands different demands? Maybe that's a better rhyme.cool smiley

I'm surprised you consider what I said about The Stones in relation to Hawkwind to be unfair criticism and lacking in objectivity. I did emphasise I was not asking or expecting The Stones to copy Hawkwind, or that they were inferior in any way. I only mentioned Hawkwind to present another perspective on The Stones. No more and no less.

You are entirely correct. The Stones owe us nothing. And far from me implying they are not pulling their weight in relation to Hawkwind, I actually believe the opposite. The Stones are a hardworking band, and the workloads of the three remaining principals in particular is heavy. Solo albums by Ronnie and Keith in the last few years. Several revamped anniversary re-issue, a band single, various From The Vault live releases. The list is long and impressive. And that is before even mentioning the tours.

My biggest wish is that they would freshen up the setlists rather more than they do. God knows there is plenty of top class material to draw on. But then why the heck should they take any notice of me? Clearly there are quadrillions of people out there who adore the warhorses. Unfortunately I'm not one of them. But that is simply my personal taste and not criticism.

Posted by: GerardHennessy ()
Date: January 1, 2022 17:19

MadMetaphoricalMax
If we're going to bring the mighty Hawkwind into this, I thought I'd link to the documentary I made about them back in the noughties ...
Hawklords are pretty good too ...
video: [www.youtube.com]

Excellent point and my very sincere compliments on your top class documentary on The Hawks. Essential viewing for anyone with even a smidgin of interest in the band. And gold-dust for a longtime fan like myself.

Your comment about the Hawklords is also spot-on. A quite excellent, and hardworking, band too that I have been a fan of for well over 20 years.

And now, returning this thread to The Stones...

Date: January 1, 2022 17:22

GerardHennessy
MadMetaphoricalMax
If we're going to bring the mighty Hawkwind into this, I thought I'd link to the documentary I made about them back in the noughties ...
Hawklords are pretty good too ...
video: [www.youtube.com]

Excellent point and my very sincere compliments on your top class documentary on The Hawks. Essential viewing for anyone with even a smidgin of interest in the band. And gold-dust for a longtime fan like myself.

Your comment about the Hawklords is also spot-on. A quite excellent, and hardworking, band too that I have been a fan of for well over 20 years.

And now, returning this thread to The Stones...

Thank you for those kind words GeraldHennessy!

....And indeed, now back to The Rolling Stones.

Goto Page: Previous1234567
Current Page: 7 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1794
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home