Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

hail hail rock'n'roll - blues jam (mean old world)
Posted by: thomashanck ()
Date: November 30, 2021 00:37

hi,

i have seen a lot from this film,
but never this blues jam ...

[www.youtube.com]

Re: hail hail rock'n'roll - blues jam (mean old world)
Date: November 30, 2021 00:39

this one too (etta james - hoochie coochie gilr)...

[www.youtube.com]

Date: November 30, 2021 00:53

how steve jordan got into the band instead of charlie -
a really lovely story steve jordan has to tell...

[www.youtube.com]

Date: November 30, 2021 01:00

wow, what a wonderful playing of 1940s songs with chuck and jonnie ...

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: November 30, 2021 01:18

thumbs up That was great indeed

Posted by: swaff ()
Date: November 30, 2021 02:16

thomashanck
how steve jordan got into the band instead of charlie -
a really lovely story steve jordan has to tell...

[www.youtube.com]

Nice!!! Lead me to a early Steve Jorden playing drums for "The Late Show" band when James Brown took over the studio back in 1982. Awesome!!!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 30, 2021 03:01

Yep Steve Jordan's association
with Thee Stones goes back some ways ......

ROCKMAN

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: November 30, 2021 03:29

Ronnie was backstage apparently too but just wanted to enjoy the show.

I was at both shows, not a typical concert, about every 20 minutes they had to change film reels and everyone kinda just stood around and waited.

Second show was a different story, they decided to jam between takes and was just fun to watch Etta singing and Richards, Clapton, Cray and of course Chuck taking turns on lead, with Johnnie Johnson on piano, and Joey Spampinato from NRBQ on electric bass that somehow he makes sound like an upright.

Funniest part of all that was while Keith was noodling about he played the first 3 notes of SMU and the crowd went nuts, he kinda laughed and put his hands up to say, no, no, no...

There's bootleg out of a lot of this but just not as cool as seeing it (which there isn't any video of since they were changing film).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-11-30 03:48 by kovach.

Date: November 30, 2021 03:35

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-11-30 03:36 by kovach.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: November 30, 2021 10:53

kovach

I was at both shows, not a typical concert, about every 20 minutes they had to change film reels and everyone kinda just stood around and waited.

Second show was a different story, they decided to jam between takes and was just fun to watch Etta singing and Richards, Clapton, Cray and of course Chuck taking turns on lead, with Johnnie Johnson on piano, and Joey Spampinato from NRBQ on electric bass that somehow he makes sound like an upright.

Funniest part of all that was while Keith was noodling about he played the first 3 notes of SMU and the crowd went nuts, he kinda laughed and put his hands up to say, no, no, no...

There's bootleg out of a lot of this but just not as cool as seeing it (which there isn't any video of since they were changing film).

and could anyone share the bootleg i'd love to hear it

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: November 30, 2021 11:52

kovach

I was at both shows, not a typical concert,

Can you confirm that :

- Both gigs were late. The 2nd one didn't begin till sth like 2a.m.
- Chuck was really hoarse that night sincehe blew his voice a few days before.

[Thank you Kovach!]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-11-30 16:01 by dcba.

Date: November 30, 2021 15:31

Whew, man, I was in college, and now I'm near retirement, so some details are lost.

I remember it going very long, especially the first show, which caused the second show to start very late though I don't think it started at 2 AM...may have ended at 2 AM.

Regarding Chuck's voice, I didn't notice anything but I heard the same story, he played a show the night before and either couldn't or didn't want to sing during the sound check or dress rehearsal or something like that either because his voice was strained from the night before or he was fearful he'd blow it out because of that before the filmed shows.

A couple of other differences between the two shows I remember, the 2nd show Chuck encourage Clapton to do a 2nd part to his solo in Wee Wee Hours. The first half of the solo was note for note to the one he did in the first show, and he unleashed a fantastic improvised solo in the 2nd one and the crowd went crazy (which is the one that ended up in the movie).

The other difference was the ending where Chuck came out in the Cadillac with everyone playing on stage (and Joe Walsh is playing too who wasn't in the first show). That also is in the movie.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-11-30 15:50 by kovach.

Date: November 30, 2021 15:42

ProfessorWolf
kovach

This is the one I was referring to if you can find it (note, it's not really rehearsals, it's the stuff I was talking about during film reel changes) :

Hail! Hail! Rock 'n Roll Rehearsals

Date: November 30, 2021 17:22

kovach
ProfessorWolf
kovach

This is the one I was referring to if you can find it (note, it's not really rehearsals, it's the stuff I was talking about during film reel changes) :

More info here:

Hail! Hail! Rock 'n' Roll Info

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: November 30, 2021 17:23

Great film as I love it and it is one of my favorites !

Date: November 30, 2021 17:39

kovach
kovach
ProfessorWolf
kovach

More info here:

Hail! Hail! Rock 'n' Roll Info

Looks like the 2nd show is still available at Wolfgang's Vault, download for $5; just listened to some snippets, sounds very good!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1949
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home