Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT Dick Van Dyke
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: November 24, 2021 04:37

No, he's not passed on. But I did see the legend this last Sunday in Los Angeles. Well, El Segundo, right south of the airport. I was at the Old Town Music Hall (a small movie theater from 1924). They have a classic Wurlitzer organ. Seats about 200.

I was there to see Janet Klein and Her Parlor Boys. They play music from the 1930s and 40s. I looked across my aisle and there is Mr. Van Dyke on the other side. Guess he likes the music. They interspersed numbers with Vitaphone Vaudeville short subjects. One of them was of a singing 6-year-old Rose Marie, the same one who played his comic foil on the Dick Van Dyke Show.

When it was announced he was in the audience the band went into the sitcom's theme song. He was nice as can be. At intermission he went out front and talked to people, had his picture taken with them on their phones. After the show he stayed and talked to more people, and sang impromptu with some people in the band. Here's the kicker, next month, December 13th, he turns 96 YEARS OLD! What a fun day it was.

Re: OT Dick Van Dyke
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 24, 2021 05:08

that's cool, thanks for sharing your story.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: November 24, 2021 05:13

Jesus I was afraid he was dead! Great story though, love Dick.

Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: November 24, 2021 06:09

So glad to find out he's not dead. Yes, he seems like a real genuine sort. I've always liked him.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: November 24, 2021 08:45

so glad he's still around just like others from his generation that i adore like mel brooks 95 and norman lear 99

glad you got to meet him and have this wonderful experience

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: November 24, 2021 08:47

What an awesome story. (And Janet Klein and her Parlor Boys, what a great name.) He's an old song-and-dance man, so I'm sure he loves the music. His show is one of my favorite childhood memories.

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: November 24, 2021 09:13

ProfessorWolf
so glad he's still around just like others from his generation that i adore like mel brooks 95 and norman lear 99

Wonder if the three of em could do a comedy?

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: November 24, 2021 09:15

shattered
ProfessorWolf

maybe mel's got a part for them in history of the world part 2 which he is actually making

no joke for real

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: November 24, 2021 09:35

ProfessorWolf
shattered
ProfessorWolf

maybe mel's got a part for them in history of the world part 2 which he is actually making

no joke for real

Add Keith.......I'm serious......they all have humour.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: November 24, 2021 10:19

Great story!

The Old Town Music Hall is a real gem. I know that the owner passed away last year, so I'm glad to hear that it is still open.

And that Dick Van Dyke is still with us...when I first saw his name, I thought, "Oh no..!"

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: November 24, 2021 11:47

Great story. Thanks

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: November 24, 2021 11:59

Really happy to hear he’s alive and well. Always liked him, his show was a family favorite!

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: November 24, 2021 13:01

Glad to find it's happy news for once: I also have childhood memories of the Dick Van Dyke show and enjoyed just about everything he appeared in.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-11-24 13:05 by Green Lady.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: November 24, 2021 15:44

frankotero
Really happy to hear he’s alive and well. Always liked him, his show was a family favorite!

Same, parents always watched that show and I got hooked! I'll still catch reruns now & again.

Date: November 24, 2021 16:45

We don't get reruns in the UK, alas.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: November 24, 2021 17:10

Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: November 24, 2021 18:32

Great post - thanks! 'A true legend' doesn't being to describe DvD,

Saw this film a few weeks ago - kind of dark actually - not his usual light hearted stuff - shows the man's range. (Below from his Wikipedia page). A true GREAT.

In 1969, Van Dyke appeared in the comedy-drama The Comic, written and directed by Carl Reiner. Van Dyke portrayed a self-destructive silent film era comedian who struggles with alcoholism, depression, and his own rampant ego. Reiner wrote the film especially for Van Dyke, who often spoke of his admiration for silent film era comedians such as Charlie Chaplin and his hero Stan Laurel

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: November 24, 2021 18:33

That clip got me thinking about the second intro, where he doesn't trip.

Turns out, there were more than two...

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 24, 2021 20:31

From the Dick Van Dyke show to Marry Poppins to Chitty Chitty Bang Bang to a great episode of Columbo he appeared in as a murderer....and so much more, he's an absolute LEGEND.

Date: November 24, 2021 23:27

DEmerson

Saw this film a few weeks ago - kind of dark actually - not his usual light hearted stuff - shows the man's range. (Below from his Wikipedia page). A true GREAT.

In 1969, Van Dyke appeared in the comedy-drama The Comic, written and directed by Carl Reiner. Van Dyke portrayed a self-destructive silent film era comedian who struggles with alcoholism, depression, and his own rampant ego. Reiner wrote the film especially for Van Dyke, who often spoke of his admiration for silent film era comedians such as Charlie Chaplin and his hero Stan Laurel

You only have to watch him to realise that he wasn't only an admirer but an outstanding physical comedian in his own right

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-11-24 23:29 by Green Lady.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: November 25, 2021 01:22

DEmerson

I saw 'The Comic' in a film class at Indiana University. We were studying Chaplin, Keaton, and other silent era comedians. This was a long time ago, and I haven't seen it since. It doesn't show up on Turner Classic Movies. (Do they get that in Europe?). I remember it being very dark, and that Dick Van Dyke was very good in the role.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1887
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home