Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
rarities booklet info
Posted by: chippy ()
Date: November 14, 2005 04:12

got this from the good people over @ sticky fingers journal,u may need adobe reader 2 open file [s37.yousendit.com]

Re: rarities booklet info
Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: November 14, 2005 04:56

Great, the whole booklet is there!

Posted by: limeybstrd ()
Date: November 14, 2005 06:18

Forgive me if this has already been brought up - but doesn't "rarities" imply stuff not previously available, or at least not widely available? I don't know about you guys, but I already have Stripped, and No Security, and Sucking in the 70's, and Love You Live, and Four Flicks (and Leeds Lungs and Stripped companion...). Since I can't imagine that the casual "Hot Rocks" fans will have much use for this, why on earth would they put this out? Oh well, I guess I'll have to buy it to find out!! I love the Stones, but man, with all the great stuff they have that is genuinely unreleased, this kind of stunt really pisses me off.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: November 14, 2005 06:34

Mick says that he's not interested in the vaults.

Posted by: electric-duane ()
Date: November 14, 2005 14:33

Wow! Thanks for this - looks like I don't have to buy it afterall. I'm not really into Stones rarities, but like nicely recorded versions of their live stuff. Looks like virtually everything on this one is already on something I've already got.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: November 14, 2005 14:50

Sloppy thing: Ron Wood is named "Woods" in the description of "Through the Lonely Nights" exactly like in the SAT 1 program last month. Sad, sad, sad.

Date: November 14, 2005 14:56

He was in the same with them for nearly 30 years but they erase his image from the 1978 picture chosen as the front cover of RARITIES. Reading thru the booklet they don't mention Bill Wyman anywhere!

Once more I think the remaining Stones (or the ones responsible for it at least) have mean characters. Maybe they actually think they never had a bass player? What a cool band.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: November 14, 2005 15:27

there's a bunch of weird mistakes in the booklet.
i know a really good editor/proofreader the Stones could hire ... :E

"What do you want - what?!"
- Keith

Posted by: Muddyw ()
Date: November 14, 2005 15:45

RobertJohnson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sloppy thing: Ron Wood is named "Woods" in the
> description of "Through the Lonely Nights" exactly
> like in the SAT 1 program last month. Sad, sad,
> sad.

Actually there is a Gina Woods mentioned in the Thanks To department ;-)....
Someone mixed up hehehe!

Posted by: gimme_shelter ()
Date: November 14, 2005 16:07

useless compilation anyway

Posted by: Muddyw ()
Date: November 14, 2005 16:33

Funny they call it Rarities...
I miss Stray Cat Blues live Licks Tour, Down The Road Apiece live (1981), Dance part 1 live Licks Tour, etc etc... those are rarities. Songs not released officially live yet (well Stray Cat is on Ya Ya's yes, but Licks is original version)

Posted by: Jimmy C ()
Date: November 14, 2005 17:33

The paragraph about Beast of Burden is also wrong. Correct me if I'm wrong because I have the original CD not the recent reissue, but the version on Sucking in the Seventies is the studio single version, not a live version for 1981.

This is the same live version that is on the Flashpoint +Collectibles

Are we complete Stones geeks for noticing these errors, or is it too much to ask that a "rarities" release has accurate info?

Date: November 14, 2005 17:46

Jimmy C honey, if we notice the mistakes then surely the people who write these booklets should notice them!
it's not geekiness - it's called paying attention! :E

- Keith

Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: November 14, 2005 18:02

My favorite goofs:

Let It Rock - "played occasionally on the 1978 tour" Yeah, you could say that.

Wish I'd Never Met You - "rarely played live" Rarely, indeed!

karl

Posted by: Reptile ()
Date: November 14, 2005 18:06

Nice compilation. The 1981 version of Beast Of Burden is my favorite version!

Posted by: Lil' Brian ()
Date: November 14, 2005 18:25

From ROLLING STONES COLLECTIBLES liner notes: "Beast of Burden" (Live) 4:50
Recorded live in Chicago, Des Plaines, Illinois, Rosemont Horizon, November 25, 1981. Track until now only available on 7" & 12" "Going to a Go-Go".

Posted by: thijs1981 ()
Date: November 14, 2005 18:40

What the hell does If I Was A Dancer (*Live* Dance Pt. 2) mean, when it's the clearly same as the Sucking In The Seventies, and thus studio, version? I sincerely hope this PDF was leaked before an editor was to review it. It has more mistakes than the average Ron Wood solo smiling smiley

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: November 14, 2005 18:58

There's only 1 1/2 Keith songs (Thru & Thru, Anyway You Look At It) here, isn't it? That's the least number of Keith songs on an official Stones release since when?

This is only the 3rd Stones compilation album that Virgin Records did not just reissue, right? (The others being Jump Back and 40 Licks)
Other labels that the Stones were on, have released more in their time, or in ABKCO's case, even up to now.
To me, the rushed release of this and the ABB special edition makes these seem to me like contractual obligation records that are put out because the record deal with Virgin is almost over.

Maybe I'll buy Rarities when I see a used copy in a couple of years. If it was all B-sides, excluding remixes, it would be more interesting to me.

Posted by: Reptile ()
Date: November 14, 2005 19:12

billwebster Wrote:
> There's only 1 1/2 Keith songs (Thru & Thru,
> Anyway You Look At It) here, isn't it? That's the
> least number of Keith songs on an official Stones
> release since when?
>
> This is only the 3rd Stones compilation album that
> Virgin Records did not just reissue, right? (The
> others being Jump Back and 40 Licks)
> Other labels that the Stones were on, have
> released more in their time, or in ABKCO's case,
> even up to now.
> To me, the rushed release of this and the ABB
> special edition makes these seem to me like
> contractual obligation records that are put out
> because the record deal with Virgin is almost
> over.
>
> Maybe I'll buy Rarities when I see a used copy in
> a couple of years. If it was all B-sides,
> excluding remixes, it would be more interesting to
> me.
>
>

There's no Keith songs on Live Licks.

Date: November 14, 2005 19:29

there are THREE Keith LV turns on Live Licks!
Happy, Nearness of You and You Don't Have to Mean It

... just checking to see if anyone's paying attention, Reptile? :E

- Keith

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: November 14, 2005 19:39

billwebster Wrote:
> There's only 1 1/2 Keith songs (Thru & Thru, Anyway You Look At It) here, isn't it? That's the least number of Keith songs on an official Stones release since when?

There's one Keith song on Flashpoint, one on Stripped, one on No Security...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-11-14 21:00 by erikjjf.

Date: November 14, 2005 19:49

>> There's one Keith LV turn on Flashpoint, one on Stripped, one on No Security <<

true but irrelevant! :E
(what are we discussing, by the way?)

- Keith

Posted by: lamemodem2 ()
Date: November 14, 2005 20:59

Is this booklet for real? I don't know what the packaging looks like, but isn't the booklet cover traditionally the cover of the album in a jewel case? And there are so many mistakes I'm wondering if someone hasn't gone to a lot of trouble to pull our legs?

Posted by: HalfNanker ()
Date: November 14, 2005 21:12

What i find funny in the liner notes is that they keep saying this song has "only appeared on..." once it appears on an album its not a rarity! Genrally, songs only appear on one album. Even more laughable is the rarities one here that have only appeared on TWO albums before!

I am thankful for the b-sides and i wil buy it for those, as i never bought singles in the old days. Since i only have "Sucking..." on an album and my turntable is broken, i guess it gives new life to those songs, but c'mon, arent there enough B sides and live stuff THEY havent released to fill an album??

Posted by: Rev. Robert W. ()
Date: November 14, 2005 21:18

lamemodem2 Wrote:
> Is this booklet for real? I don't know what the
> packaging looks like, but isn't the booklet cover
> traditionally the cover of the album in a jewel
> case? And there are so many mistakes I'm wondering
> if someone hasn't gone to a lot of trouble to pull
> our legs?

Except that the thing isn't primarily being released in a jewel case. Most HearMusic releases arrive in the (lousy) digipac format.

And look at the credits for this thing--HearMusic, almost all the way. Hence, the factual errors, erratic song slections and the layout...

Look familiar? It's a rehash of the "Artists' Choice" CD of 2002 on which the Stones picked a selection of tracks that had influenced them in one way or another. It's actually an excellent disc--great music and some interesting comments from the band.

The photos are all recycled from that release.

Posted by: Leonard Keringer ()
Date: November 14, 2005 22:23

i hereby christen this cd "Familiarities"

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: November 14, 2005 22:52

What the hell....any news about 'Under the radar' and 'don't wanna go home'??????
These are the real interesting things!!

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: November 14, 2005 23:43

Wasn't Beast of Burden from Chicago, and not from LA (and it's NOT available on Sucking in the 70's)? Why didn't they include the electric version of Wild Horses from the Stripped sessions? The 12" version of Miss You actually is the original version, and the single version was edited down from the 12" version by Chris Kimsey, why does Jagger take credit for that? Isn't TD played in exact the same speed as the original? One thing I am not sure about as I never listen to No Security: the remark about "we used to do it slow", isn't that remark on one of B-sides from 1990?

This CD reeks "we just don't give a @#$%&".

Mathijs

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: November 14, 2005 23:45

I read in the booklet that the "Tumbling Dice" version is exactly the one of Stripped Companion, which was also officially edited as single. It begins with piano and Mick during any rehearsing session and slips then into a live version after the second verse. Both versions - the rehearsing version and the live version are great - but it would have been better, if they would have decided to edit one of the versions completely.

Date: November 14, 2005 23:48

ahh but it's so freakin FINE the way the rehearsal bursts into the concert version like that! i love it.

- Keith

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1217
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home