Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: O. T. Any Manic Street Preachers out there?
Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: October 28, 2021 23:53

RisingStone
Rocktiludrop
Paddy
Rocktiludrop
Great band, and "If You Tolerate This" has new meaning, its gone from Lefty Uni unjustified angst to, well, do i have to spell it out, just look at the world now compared to two years ago.

Worst interpretation of a lyric award goes to.....

Everyone knew what the Manics were about after that TOTP appearance. It got 20,000 complaints. There was a lot happening world wide at that time, the angst was justified. Not everyone got a chance to go to University then either. Being poor was colourless. Years of apartheid, Cold War, and a lot of other crap left a global angst. It came out of Seattle in an abundance, bands like the manics just carried that flame.

Oasis did it in the most working class way, which is “@#$%& it all and have a good time” that was needed also.

Sounds like you went through the same experience they did at the same time, it's mind control throughout the education system and then they really train the brain through Universities, especially in the UK and it's even worse now, what people tolerate today is worrying beyond anything you can imagine.

So for me those lyrics ring louder and true more than ever, I know that's not what the writer intended but play that song on YouTube today and read the comments.

This is how people feel today about those lyrics, proves it's not just my interpretation. Worst interpretation oh really.
[m.youtube.com]

These countless comments on the YouTube channel. Many of them extrapolate the title, the lyrics and the video clip of “If You Tolerate This Your Children Will Be Next” to the current situations surrounding the pandemic for the purpose of raising voices of disapproval against the safe measures promoted by the “totalitarian” or “fascistic” government as well as mocking the “sheepish” crowd who submits to the rules. These types of appeals, now the same old cliché, are so many out there that you may wonder if they are the majority. I’d say this is a typical example of ‘echo chamber’. Same goes for Eric Clapton YouTube channel and Facebook page where hordes of “rebels” post comments of praise on his anti-vaccination stance. In a bigger picture, you will be able to see there are millions of people with different views who have serious concerns about the health, unlike these reckless bunches.

This global pandemic we are all suffering from is, primarily, a non-political, non-partisan phenomenon. It is us humans who make it political or partisan.

To oppose the various safe measures doesn’t make you a rebel. It has nothing to do with a rock and roll attitude, either.

thumbs up

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: October 29, 2021 01:59

I got some early albums cheap on cassette and really dug them, and finally saw them in 2009!

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: October 29, 2021 03:23

Rocktiludrop
So you think it best all those people making those comments should be censored because you believe they are spreading false information.
Ever read 1984.

Who says they should be censored? I don’t.
I say those YouTube comments do not represent all of the people and their opinions out there — that’s what echo chamber is about and how it works.

“1984” — it is another cliché often brought up by the opposition side (“the rebels”) when it comes to debating the policies enforced upon (in their view) the general public by the government as well as the state of the society we are in. To me, it sounds like too blanket a term to add up to a convincing argument.

FYI I read 1984, the classic anti-utopian (IIRC the term “dystopia” or “dystopian” arrived much later) novel when I was a student a long, long time ago. Can’t remember much of the content except for the fascinating coinages such as “Big Brother”, “doublethink”, “Newspeak” and the like.

Posted by: Rocktiludrop ()
Date: October 29, 2021 10:01

RisingStone
Rocktiludrop
So you think it best all those people making those comments should be censored because you believe they are spreading false information.
Ever read 1984.

Who says they should be censored? I don’t.
I say those YouTube comments do not represent all of the people and their opinions out there — that’s what echo chamber is about and how it works.

“1984” — it is another cliché often brought up by the opposition side (“the rebels”) when it comes to debating the policies enforced upon (in their view) the general public by the government as well as the state of the society we are in. To me, it sounds like too blanket a term to add up to a convincing argument.

FYI I read 1984, the classic anti-utopian (IIRC the term “dystopia” or “dystopian” arrived much later) novel when I was a student a long, long time ago. Can’t remember much of the content except for the fascinating coinages such as “Big Brother”, “doublethink”, “Newspeak” and the like.

Sorry i misunderstood you, and i think you are right, those comments certainly don't represent most people, it's very difficult to know what people really think, most people don't make comments at all. I'm just interested in the Truth and it seems increasingly difficult to find through the media.
If you watch Fox news then CNN they are world's apart, i guess the true stories and facts are somewhere between the two.

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: October 29, 2021 14:05

Rocktiludrop
Sorry i misunderstood you, and i think you are right, those comments certainly don't represent most people, it's very difficult to know what people really think, most people don't make comments at all. I'm just interested in the Truth and it seems increasingly difficult to find through the media.
If you watch Fox news then CNN they are world's apart, i guess the true stories and facts are somewhere between the two.

The title of the Manics’ album that contains If We Tolerate This aptly indicates the situation we are in now — This Is My Truth Tell Me Yours.

The pandemic has brought about the division among people. Here, on the IORR message board, fans who would be friendly with each other had this not happened are feuding over their respective stances regarding the way we should deal with the situation. Sad.

Posted by: Rocktiludrop ()
Date: October 29, 2021 15:18

RisingStone
Rocktiludrop

The title of the Manics’ album that contains If We Tolerate This aptly indicates the situation we are in now — This Is My Truth Tell Me Yours.

The pandemic has brought about the division among people. Here, on the IORR message board, fans who would be friendly with each other had this not happened are feuding over their respective stances regarding the way we should deal with the situation. Sad.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-11-02 00:00 by Rocktiludrop.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1719
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home