Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Get Off Of My Cloud vs 19th Nervous Breakdown
Posted by: Ringo Kid ()
Date: November 12, 2005 21:39

Listening to the Hollywood Bowl gig, 6th november, now, and I really like Get Off... much better than the version they did of 19th... in MSG, and I was at MSG. Any norwegians/swedish, danish and other people who understand norwegian, you can see a report from New York, written by me, here: [www.musikkavisen-backstage.com]

------------------------------
[rockandrollcentral.net]
------------------------------

Re: Get Off Of My Cloud vs 19th Nervous Breakdown
Posted by: cc ()
Date: November 12, 2005 22:04

The new version of "19th Nervous Breakdown" was still ok, but they removed the most distinctive parts of the original song: the opening riff, brian's answering riff, the "you better stop" stop, and the bass run! I don't know why they don't try it again, with some of those parts restored.

cc

Posted by: canadian.sway ()
Date: November 12, 2005 22:43

does anyone have an MP3 they can post of the slowed down 19th nervous breakdown? im quite curious to hear it

Posted by: Stones89 ()
Date: November 13, 2005 01:05

Yeah, me too. I wanna hear 19th Nervous Slowdown! lolsmiling smiley

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: November 13, 2005 01:36

Get Off Of My Cloud for sure.

Posted by: scaffer ()
Date: November 13, 2005 01:40

The 19th Nervous Breakdown topic raises a question for me:

Why have they done both 19th and The Last Time in a straight 4/4 since 1997? In both cases, playing these songs in a straight 4/4 (as opposed to their original '2-step' basic rhythm) causes a real loss of intensity - the song dies for the most part (though the audience did like 19th at the Double Door surprise gig in Chicago; then again, I think that audience would have liked anything).

Is it because Charlie can't play the original beat anymore? That seems hard to believe because in '02 they were doing Everybody Needs Somebody To Love, the basic rhythm for which is close enough to 19th and Last Time that they could have used it for those tunes as well.

Or do we think Mick wants the songs in 4/4 to make them sound more 'rockish?' Let's not forget that, around 1973, they started doing 'It's All Over Now' in straight 4/4 (Honolulu '73 boot), and it too sounded absolutely awful that way.

Just wondering if anyone has insights. Thanks.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: November 13, 2005 02:47

That's an interesting observation, but I think that if Charley can play Midnight Rambler, then he can keep the beat on 19th or the Last Time. Probably an artistic decision by Mick.

In any event, being the showman that he is, I think that Mick would rather do GOMC, because they can bring the lights up and do the call-back with the crowd on the choruses -- real crowd-pleaser.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: November 13, 2005 07:31

But "19th" has a natural call-and-response, too. "Here it comes... here it comes..." I guess jagger thinks it sounds too 60s/mickey-mouse b/c of the frantic tempo, but it's a great song, I'd love to hear it done more like the original.

Interesting point about the "2-step." I didn't know that's how to describe that beat.

cc

Posted by: nikkibong ()
Date: November 13, 2005 08:38

Yeah, Mick has said that the original version of 19th is too 'Swinging 60s' for 2005 - he thinks it would be goofy to play it in the original manner. That said, I love the original but absolutely despise the way they played it on the beginning of the ABB tour.

Posted by: poor immigrant ()
Date: November 13, 2005 09:07

scaffer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>
> Why have they done both 19th and The Last Time in
> a straight 4/4 since 1997? In both cases, playing
> these songs in a straight 4/4 (as opposed to their
> original '2-step' basic rhythm) causes a real loss
> of intensity - the song dies for the most part
> (though the audience did like 19th at the Double
> Door surprise gig in Chicago; then again, I think
> that audience would have liked anything).
>
> Is it because Charlie can't play the original beat
> anymore? That seems hard to believe because in
> '02 they were doing Everybody Needs Somebody To
> Love, the basic rhythm for which is close enough
> to 19th and Last Time that they could have used it
> for those tunes as well.
>
> Or do we think Mick wants the songs in 4/4 to make
> them sound more 'rockish?' Let's not forget that,
> around 1973, they started doing 'It's All Over
> Now' in straight 4/4 (Honolulu '73 boot), and it
> too sounded absolutely awful that way.
>
>

I've wondered this EXACT thing. They seemed to have deliberately lost the swinging shuffle of alot of those early songs from the days before rock n' roll became ROCK. Too bad, they were the absolute masters of that push pull rhythm. Charlie could still nail it. I blame Mick's revisionism.

Posted by: BOBM ()
Date: November 13, 2005 13:38

NIKKIBONG WROTE: I love the original but absolutely despise the way they played it on the beginning of the ABB tour.

You took the words right out of my mouth. They turned the best song they ever wrote, which was done brilliantly on stage in 1997, into a laughable piece of shit in 2005.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: November 13, 2005 13:42

It was just as good in the new version. Conservatism lives on it seems. Too bad.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: LA FORUM ()
Date: November 13, 2005 16:29

GOOMC on Hot as hell (Buffalo, 1975) is grrreat. Now why didnt they use that version on Love you live?!

Posted by: Limbostone ()
Date: December 5, 2005 21:42

Just listened (and watched) to 19th Nervous from the club show on rs.com for the first time. For some reason haven't heard it before.

Relying on Ronnie's and Micks's rhythym guitar, an appropriate synth effect once or twice, and the atmosphere. Only Keith seems to be strutting into the Berry riffs once again at the end, but still he goes along with the rhytym which makes it quite appropriate.

I love it!

Posted by: King_Bee ()
Date: December 5, 2005 22:15

Get Off Of My Cloud, just don't like 19th Nervous Breakdown.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2346
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home