Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

'You haven't heard the last of Charlie' - Los Angeles Times
Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: October 7, 2021 21:46

Yahooo News Post From LA Times

'You haven't heard the last of Charlie': Rolling Stones on a bittersweet tour and new music

[www.yahoo.com]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-09 23:56 by bv.

Re: 'You haven't heard the last of Charlie': Rolling Stones on a bittersweet tour and new music
Posted by: Topi ()
Date: October 7, 2021 22:19

Good read, thanks!

Re: 'You haven't heard the last of Charlie': Rolling Stones on a bittersweet tour and new music
Date: October 7, 2021 22:32

Brown Sugar:
"You picked up on that, huh?” Richards said when asked why they’re not playing the tune. “I don’t know. I’m trying to figure out with the sisters quite where the beef is. Didn’t they understand this was a song about the horrors of slavery? But they’re trying to bury it. At the moment I don’t want to get into conflicts with all of this s—.” He laughed in his signature raspy fashion. “But I’m hoping that we’ll be able to resurrect the babe in her glory somewhere along the track.”

Jagger, as usual, was more circumspect than his freewheeling counterpart. “We’ve played ‘Brown Sugar’ every night since 1970, so sometimes you think, We’ll take that one out for now and see how it goes,” he said. “We might put it back in.” 

Posted by: obonpaxis ()
Date: October 7, 2021 22:36

This caught my attention:

One song the band seems to have dropped from its set since the tour started up again is “Brown Sugar,” the Stones’ gleefully problematic early-’70s smash that opens on a “Gold coast slave ship bound for cotton fields.”

“You picked up on that, huh?” Richards said when asked why they’re not playing the tune. “I don’t know. I’m trying to figure out with the sisters quite where the beef is. Didn’t they understand this was a song about the horrors of slavery? But they’re trying to bury it. At the moment I don’t want to get into conflicts with all of this s—.” He laughed in his signature raspy fashion. “But I’m hoping that we’ll be able to resurrect the babe in her glory somewhere along the track.”

Wonder if Keith forces the issue at some point? WW4

Posted by: TumblinDice76 ()
Date: October 7, 2021 22:45

No, Keith won't press issue. Per 2019 interview, he can't even get Beast of Burden added to the set on nights he wants to play it. Mick and music director Chuck Levell pick the setlists.

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: October 7, 2021 22:56

Hey now!

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: October 7, 2021 23:07

DandelionPowderman
Brown Sugar:
"You picked up on that, huh?” Richards said when asked why they’re not playing the tune. “I don’t know. I’m trying to figure out with the sisters quite where the beef is. Didn’t they understand this was a song about the horrors of slavery? But they’re trying to bury it. At the moment I don’t want to get into conflicts with all of this s—.” He laughed in his signature raspy fashion. “But I’m hoping that we’ll be able to resurrect the babe in her glory somewhere along the track.”

Jagger, as usual, was more circumspect than his freewheeling counterpart. “We’ve played ‘Brown Sugar’ every night since 1970, so sometimes you think, We’ll take that one out for now and see how it goes,” he said. “We might put it back in.” 

I read that passage in the article before I posted it. Given the climate lately, I wisely chose not to highlight it, draw attention to it, or comment on it. The reader can make his or her own judgement, and for the sake of getting along in this community forum, try to keep it light....thanks, amigos.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-07 23:09 by Sighunt.

Date: October 7, 2021 23:07

What can I say.. RiP Charlie.

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: October 7, 2021 23:14

Nice read but not really good promo when the article suggests tickets are out of reach for almost anyone reading.

Posted by: kater-v ()
Date: October 8, 2021 00:42

Thank you, Sighund!
Interesting article.
Waiting for the album, yes, nice to read it is becoming closer.
Still so sad about Charlie Watts...

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: October 8, 2021 01:09

Just don't make me wait too long for a last hurrah new album with Cha-cha...I'd hate to step out in front of a bus or something before at least one listen.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: October 8, 2021 01:40

probably the most informative interview we've had in a while so ronnie and charlie were treated and in the same room is that a hint that charlie was being treated for cancer
i also got the hint from keith that they might be going from tour to studio and at a moment when mick and keith seem to be closer than they have been in maybe 45 years guess we'll get to see if they can still write songs together like they used to
and maybe with the whole band together in a studio they can record another blue & lonesome as a bonus

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: October 8, 2021 03:35

ProfessorWolf
probably the most informative interview we've had in a while so ronnie and charlie were treated and in the same room is that a hint that charlie was being treated for cancer
i also got the hint from keith that they might be going from tour to studio and at a moment when mick and keith seem to be closer than they have been in maybe 45 years guess we'll get to see if they can still write songs together like they used to
and maybe with the whole band together in a studio they can record another blue & lonesome as a bonus

The Ronnie and Charlie same room/last one to visit part of this story is heart wrenching.
It's clear his passing hit Ronnie very hard, and this no doubt made it more difficult.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: October 9, 2021 01:58

yeah i feel bad for ronnie he's lost a lot of close friends and family over the years i'm sure it takes its toll

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: October 9, 2021 12:55

Sighunt

Yahooo News Post From LA Times

'You haven't heard the last of Charlie': Rolling Stones on a bittersweet tour and new music

[www.yahoo.com]

The article by [www.LATimes.com] was also linked by the Rolling Stones - [Twitter.com] , [www.Facebook.com] .

Re: 'You haven't heard the last of Charlie' - Los Angeles Times
Posted by: Donnebr ()
Date: October 11, 2021 04:12

Brilliant. Hopefully a new album with Charlie on it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1424
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home