Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Gimme Shelter Live Q/ Other Bests
Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: November 11, 2005 02:51

Hi, I have a Q re GS live. The version that I always hear everyone raving bout is supposedly from "Stripped Companion". Is it the 95 Paradiso version? I've seen it mentioned a few times where people call it one of the hottest renditions ever.
Same with "Wild Horses" from 76 Knebworth.
I gotta say that GS does reach the stratosphere once the solo and Lisa arrive.
The WH rendition I have truthfully never quite understood. Why it is so great, I mean. The Stripped version IMO is unbeatable.
My favorite version of "Worried About You" is from Vredenburg 03.
If Gazza reads this I'm curious which version of SFTD specifically he always raves about. It is 90 Tokyo, but they played a bunch of shows there that time around.

Re: Gimme Shelter Live Q/ Other Bests
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: November 11, 2005 02:55

26th Feb is my fave version from Tokyo - the one that was broadcast on TV (its the same version thats on Flashpoint, but the mix is different and keith's two solos are heavily edited on the official release)

The "Stripped Companion" version of GS is indeed from the Paradiso and was included in the TV special. I think it was also officially released on one of the "Saint of me" singles in early 1998

Date: November 11, 2005 22:57

What about some other warhorses?I say we start a poll.Start Me Up from August Children 1990 is just about the best I've heard so far.Street Fighting Man from September 9,1973 in London and the Four Flicks version.

Posted by: Leonard Keringer ()
Date: November 11, 2005 23:03

some of my fav gimme shelters are: Altamont '69 (sounds dangerous!) and from the Ladies and Gents movie soundtrack (supersonic powerhouse version!)

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: November 11, 2005 23:06

best one - exiles afternoon boot from perth '73

Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: November 11, 2005 23:19

I don't understand the attraction of the Perth 73 version of GS -- isn't this the one in which Charlie loses the beat? He doesn't catch up with the rest of the band until the song is nearly half-over. I DO like the Perth version of "Bitch", though. You almost get a bass solo by Bill. Can you imagine the hilarity of Mick looking over and saying, "take it, Billy!" LOL

Posted by: Leonard Keringer ()
Date: November 11, 2005 23:23

bassplayer617 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't understand the attraction of the Perth 73
> version of GS -- isn't this the one in which
> Charlie loses the beat? He doesn't catch up with
> the rest of the band until the song is nearly
> half-over. I DO like the Perth version of
> "Bitch", though. You almost get a bass solo by
> Bill. Can you imagine the hilarity of Mick
> looking over and saying, "take it, Billy!" LOL

Hey bassplayer617...and the irony of the charlie botched-up gimme shelter is that during the introductions of the band, Mick says: : "on drumz, Charlie Watts, never misses a beat!"

Posted by: Devyn ()
Date: November 12, 2005 00:25

Re: Gimme Shelter Did they ever use a back up vocalist for this song live prior to Steel Wheels? I personally love the Amsterdam '74 live version, Taylor drove the lead to new levels but I'd love to hear it live with a female handling the solo. Did you ever hear the version from Ed Sullivan? It features Keith on some kind of clear acrylic guitar and there is no "rape, murder lyrics" Censored I'm sure, everyone remembers the "Let's Spend some time together" censor deal but Shelter gets forgotten.

Re: Sympathy for the Devil My favorite version is from Ya Ya's although I was bummed when I heard Keith's lead was dubbed in afterwards. I think that lead (specifically from Ya Ya's is the best guitar solo of all time) Honestly, I think Keith's leads on Sympathy ever since have totally sucked! Seriously, I can not find one version of Sympathy performened live since Ya Ya's that Keith had a coherent lead. Maybe Love You Live but even thats a stretch. Wha da ya think?

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: November 12, 2005 01:40

Devyn Wrote:
> Re: Gimme Shelter Did they ever use a back up
> vocalist for this song live prior to Steel Wheels?

no

> I personally love the Amsterdam '74 live version,

eh??

> Taylor drove the lead to new levels but I'd love
> to hear it live with a female handling the solo.
> Did you ever hear the version from Ed Sullivan? It
> features Keith on some kind of clear acrylic
> guitar and there is no "rape, murder lyrics"
> Censored I'm sure, everyone remembers the "Let's
> Spend some time together" censor deal but Shelter
> gets forgotten.

it wasnt censored. Merry Clayton never performed the song live with the Stones. It was just a live vocal by Mick over a backing track (the BBC version recorded a few weeks later is better)
>
> Re: Sympathy for the Devil My favorite version is
> from Ya Ya's although I was bummed when I heard
> Keith's lead was dubbed in afterwards. I think
> that lead (specifically from Ya Ya's is the best
> guitar solo of all time) Honestly, I think Keith's
> leads on Sympathy ever since have totally sucked!
> Seriously, I can not find one version of Sympathy
> performened live since Ya Ya's that Keith had a
> coherent lead. Maybe Love You Live but even thats
> a stretch. Wha da ya think?

Love You Live isnt that good. The Tokyo'90 version from Flashpoint (mentioned above) beats the shit out of it and Keith's solos are superb

Posted by: virgil ()
Date: November 12, 2005 06:16

J.J.Flash Wrote:
> best one - exiles afternoon boot from perth '73

Is this the one that also has a great version of MR. D?

Date: November 12, 2005 06:26

I actually like the latest version of Start me Up a lot. It's not a warhorse i even like very much. But on the boot from Columbus in 05 I like ti for the first time. And the reason is Ronnie. pretty weird, no?
GS I love that version where Taylor is on Wah Wah. There is also a version from the USA tour; I think it is Houston or Philly. During the intro you can hear Nicky Hopkins real loud. he does these klinks, that are eerie. But the Altamont version is killer too.
The version of "Aint too proud to Beg" from NYC 75 on the boot "Stereo Baby" is awesome.

Posted by: Devyn ()
Date: November 12, 2005 17:18

I'll dig out Flashpoint, I think I also have Tokyo '90 on VHS. It's been awhile since I've played these versions, however I do not remember them standing out..... Ok I have been listening to it while I post and it's pretty good, but no Ya Ya's. eh??

Posted by: Esky ()
Date: November 12, 2005 18:26

ChelseaDrugstore Wrote:
> Hi, I have a Q re GS live. The version that I
> always hear everyone raving bout is supposedly
> from "Stripped Companion". Is it the 95 Paradiso
> version? I've seen it mentioned a few times where
> people call it one of the hottest renditions
> ever.
> Same with "Wild Horses" from 76 Knebworth.
> I gotta say that GS does reach the stratosphere
> once the solo and Lisa arrive.
> The WH rendition I have truthfully never quite
> understood. Why it is so great, I mean. The
> Stripped version IMO is unbeatable.
> My favorite version of "Worried About You" is from
> Vredenburg 03.
> If Gazza reads this I'm curious which version of
> SFTD specifically he always raves about. It is 90
> Tokyo, but they played a bunch of shows there that
> time around.

Sorry Chelsea, - i'd rather watch paint dry than "Lisa" singing GS ! Why would you want to hear her sing than Mick ??

The best Gimme Shelter is either Altamont version or his redition on Top Of The Pops (I stand corrected??)....forget the Paradiso version...fair dinkum! When Mick ids on fire...that is the best!

As for Wild Horses - haven't you heard the version off the Gimme Shelter movie????

SFTD - yes Tokyo is great but NYC '69 is when SFTD hit it's peak, or at least was created!, Hyde Park is also fantastic....imagine being there???

That is as pure as you get (although rough...) !

Esky

Date: November 12, 2005 18:49

What I don't like too much about the GS movie version of WH is that it is edited to death. Thing is, the visual more than make up for it. keith's boots, CVharlie's quick grimace 2 his drumfill - priceless.
Re Gimme Shelter, the song. I said "once Lisa etc arrives". What I menat by that was more the point of the song: the guitar ans then the 3rd verse. With Jagger singing. That is always my fave verse. No matter when or where, Jagger in\variably puts a little extra umpoh into that 3rd verse. The very first "Ooh" on the studio version when he goes "Ohh a storm is threatening" he actually overdrives the mike a bit. I love that distiortion. And that is also the verse where he actually says the words "gimme shelter". No, I have to say I don't like Lisa's oversinging ever. yes Lisa is very very good. She is good the way DJ is good. Super professional, hits all the right trills, every correct mistake, when that voice is supposed to crack and waver, it does. All the raves about "Night Time" on the current tour - I can't stand that version. She sounds like Patti Labelle. I will take Aretha ANY day, but this other plastic soul that goes around today...no thanks.

Posted by: jwalker99 ()
Date: November 12, 2005 18:50

I'll have to check these other versions. Wasn't the No Security version the first official release of GS live? I thought it was stunning and that's why they waited nearly 30 years to release it live.

Posted by: Esky ()
Date: November 12, 2005 18:59

Fair enough Chelsea - agreed - I have been watching his version of GS from Top of the Pops - it is AMAZING. Even Mick Taylor has a smile about how good Mick is !

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1525
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home