Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5
Re: Charlie Watts In Memory - by the fans
Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: September 6, 2021 17:53

I was lucky to have met him several times over the years.He was always great to fans and signed many things for me.Even a copy of iorr magazine with him on the cover and was really curious about the publication.He married Shirley in Bradford in 1964 and I was kind of curious as to why Bradford?I asked him the reason and he told me the story.
Got a nice original art work of 3 butterflies and a hand in ink by Charlie ,done for the David Bellamy charity.
The Stones will never be the same again,but we are lucky to have such an amazing back catalogue and great memories of concerts.And Steve Jordan is the only guy who could even come close to Charlie.Good times ahead for sure,with Charlie watching that beat from above.All’s good.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: September 6, 2021 22:56

Nice one stargroover. smileys with beer

I'm really looking forward to September 26th, and I'm sure dear Charlie will be watching from above...............and hopefully giving his full approval on Steve's performance.
Will be on IORR all through the night with great interest. thumbs up

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: September 7, 2021 01:48

This is the memory of Charlie that I have finally found.

It's a lot more recent than I thought it was....... 2013, but so nice to hear it again.

Lot's of praise for Mick Taylor and the band, and will alway remember Charlie as a really nice, honest, London geezer.

God Bless you Charlie. smileys with beer

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: September 7, 2021 01:53

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: September 7, 2021 19:43

crawdaddy

It's a lot more recent than I thought it was....... 2013, but so nice to hear it again.

Lot's of praise for Mick Taylor and the band, and will alway remember Charlie as a really nice, honest, London geezer.

Thanks soooo much, crawdaddy!!!
This interview was such a joy to listen to. It teaches us a lot more about Charlie! He'll be with us all the time thumbs up
smileys with beer

I'm a GHOST living in a ghost town

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: September 7, 2021 23:41

crawdaddy

What an excellent find! Well done sir smiling smiley I’ve just listened to all of that from start to finish. Like you say, An honest, down to Earth very amiable London geezer he most certainly was.

Posted by: Djuro ()
Date: September 19, 2021 21:56

I always looked him with admiration during his playing. That unique style when he beats with left hand on 3rd count and lifts right hand in the air, while most of the drummers might beat with the right hand as well on that count, is for me his signature move. That might be the thing that created the characteristic sound together with other band members.
He said that his playing is always to make people dance, and it's true. Even though I am huge Stones fan and probably subjective, when I hear any of their faster songs, my body just starts to move to the rythym. The groove in live shows in let's say Monkey man, Midnight Rambler, Can't You Hear Me Knocking and many others is just spectacular.

From many memories I have of him, the ones that got to my mind the quickest are when he is smiling at what Mick is doing in front of him at the stage, or when Mick sneaks close to the drums during a song and Charlie notices him with a surprising smile, and of course when you are on a show and close your eyes for a moment to capture that in your mind and the whole body and you open them and see Charlie also with closed eyes just feeling the groove with Keith and the whole band. While writing this I also remembered the show in Warsaw 2018, during closing song Satisfaction after the what was expected to be the last chord of the song Charlie kept drumming, like saying, I want to play a bit more, let's continue, and the band picked up on that and played few seconds more.

To close this memory I will quote him from his interview in movie Charlie Is My Darling when talking about how he might have high standards for himself as a drummer because he is not formally educated and can't read notes and then adds with modesty and smile: "Maybe I am great after all".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-19 22:09 by Djuro.

Posted by: UrbanSteel ()
Date: September 21, 2021 11:29

My Charlie Tribute, it still hurts so much.

video: [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: September 21, 2021 22:42

Just come across a Tribute to Charlie to the sound of TWFNO.Nice tribute.

Date: September 21, 2021 23:24

UrbanSteel

Beautiful,thank you.

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: September 22, 2021 00:09

TheflyingDutchman
UrbanSteel

Beautiful,thank you.

Crying.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: September 22, 2021 03:02

Simply lovely.

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: HonkyTonkJan ()
Date: September 23, 2021 21:06

That really is magnificent....

Posted by: RafaLadilla ()
Date: November 22, 2021 07:27

Posted by: rogerriffin ()
Date: November 22, 2021 23:32

Last visit to Mexico, one of the best nights in my life, i met him!
March 16, 2016 Torre Mayor CDMX

picture by Fernando Aceves

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-11-22 23:33 by rogerriffin.

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1499
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home