Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: Charlie's Funeral
Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: September 22, 2021 05:38

ribbelchips
Charlie lived in Dolton, a small town in the Devon county.
Surely there wouldn't be many cemeteries there, you might say..Hasn't there been a local Stones fan from the region who has made a 'tour' of the cemeteries there?

If Charlies was indeed buried instead of cremated, a new grave would be easy to find, right?

WHY does it appear so bloody important to you to know where Charlie has been laid to rest? Morbid curiosity.

I’m not sure why everyone even HAS an opinion on this. Charlie and his family obviously wanted a low key send off. It’s done. If they had wanted pomp and ceremony with fan lined streets, a full on mausoleum and a guard of honour, they would have had THAT. THEY DIDN’T. LET IT AND CHARLIE rest.

Rod

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: September 22, 2021 09:37

Again:

Do we know whether the funeral was limited to his immediate family, his relatives only?

We simply don't.

Posted by: ribbelchips ()
Date: September 22, 2021 10:57

bitusa2012
ribbelchips
Surely there wouldn't be many cemeteries there, you might say..Hasn't there been a local Stones fan from the region who has made a 'tour' of the cemeteries there?

If Charlies was indeed buried instead of cremated, a new grave would be easy to find, right?

WHY does it appear so bloody important to you to know where Charlie has been laid to rest? Morbid curiosity.

I’m not sure why everyone even HAS an opinion on this. Charlie and his family obviously wanted a low key send off. It’s done. If they had wanted pomp and ceremony with fan lined streets, a full on mausoleum and a guard of honour, they would have had THAT. THEY DIDN’T. LET IT AND CHARLIE rest.

Morbid Curiosity? Was I standing behind a tree with binoculars on his funeral? Thousands of people visit Brian's grave every year. And he doesn't have a mausoleum either..

What's so terribly bad about showing respect and laying flowers? I can imagine the family wouldn't want it to become some sort of pilgrimage site like Jim Morrission has in Paris, but Charlie was 80 years old and early fans are around that age too. That's probably not going to happen in Charlie's case..

Date: September 22, 2021 15:32

ribbelchips
bitusa2012
ribbelchips

Morbid Curiosity? Was I standing behind a tree with binoculars on his funeral? Thousands of people visit Brian's grave every year. And he doesn't have a mausoleum either..

What's so terribly bad about showing respect and laying flowers? I can imagine the family wouldn't want it to become some sort of pilgrimage site like Jim Morrission has in Paris, but Charlie was 80 years old and early fans are around that age too. That's probably not going to happen in Charlie's case..

I think your original comment of a “a local Stones fan doing a ‘tour’ of cemeteries” for the very reason of finding a newly dug grave (Charlie’s) shows a remarkably high degree of morbidity. And a remarkably low degree of class and respect.

Rod

Date: September 22, 2021 15:33

Topi
Again:

Do we know whether the funeral was limited to his immediate family, his relatives only?

We simply don't.

And why should we?

Rod

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: September 22, 2021 15:48

bitusa2012
Topi
Again:

We simply don't.

And why should we?

Exactly my point. Needless to go into the semantics of "are friends family" etc.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 22, 2021 16:36

I do understand the sentiment and the good will, but let the great man rest in peace wherever he is. Just out of respect for him. He was no Brian Jones, no Jim Morrison. He was Charlie Watts. No rules of a typical rock star or a rock star fan culture applies to him. As I think anyone following him and his band should know.

Shirlie shared his beloved husband with us for so long and he gave us so much, everything he could - that made them rich for sure, but it wasn't so easy for her and him at times, and it almost ruined their family. Let her and her family have him now in private. Not our business. The private man is gone, let the public, 'our' Charlie live forever in our hearts.

I need to admit that listening to whatever Stones tune these days, almost all I can hear and think is the drums and Charlie...

- Doxa

Posted by: Lady Jayne ()
Date: September 22, 2021 16:44

Doxa, I too have never heard Charlie's drumming in every Stones number as I hear now.

Posted by: BlueTurns2Grey ()
Date: September 22, 2021 16:56

Doxa
I do understand the sentiment and the good will, but let the great man rest in peace wherever he is. Just out of respect for him. He was no Brian Jones, no Jim Morrison. He was Charlie Watts. No rules of a typical rock star or a rock star fan culture applies to him. As I think anyone following him and his band should know.

Shirlie shared his beloved husband with us for so long and he gave us so much, everything he could - that made them rich for sure, but it wasn't so easy for her and him at times, and it almost ruined their family. Let her and her family have him now in private. Not our business. The private man is gone, let the public, 'our' Charlie live forever in our hearts.

I need to admit that listening to whatever Stones tune these days, almost all I can hear and think is the drums and Charlie...

- Doxa

Very well chosen words. I agree 100% with that.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: September 22, 2021 17:36

bitusa2012

I think your original comment of a “a local Stones fan doing a ‘tour’ of cemeteries” for the very reason of finding a newly dug grave (Charlie’s) shows a remarkably high degree of morbidity. And a remarkably low degree of class and respect.

To be honest, I’m kinda disappointed that he didn’t buy one of Bill’s metal detectors and go through the local cemeteries checking for gold teeth. Total lack,of commitment.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 23, 2021 07:29

Lady Jayne
Doxa, I too have never heard Charlie's drumming in every Stones number as I hear now.

I did the same thing with Bill. I thought they'd replace him with somebody on his level, like they did by hiring Mick Taylor. I've always known Charlie is great, but it isn't until he's gone that I now focus on his playing.

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: September 23, 2021 10:34

24FPS
Lady Jayne

I did the same thing with Bill. I thought they'd replace him with somebody on his level, like they did by hiring Mick Taylor. I've always known Charlie is great, but it isn't until he's gone that I now focus on his playing.

And another +1 from me. I find myself listening just to the drums now (and finding new things)

Posted by: StonedAsiaExile ()
Date: September 23, 2021 13:10

ribbelchips
bitusa2012
ribbelchips

I agree it's a bit morbid. He and Shirley have 600 acres; what better place to rest than on your own beloved piece of Heaven.

So. Let's not debate where he's buried. That's for his family and his family only. They want privacy and they deserve it.

Let's remember Charlie through his music and his life. That's enough for me.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: September 23, 2021 15:30

Just to note in passing: We also don't know whether Mick and/or Keith and/or Ronnie
attended Charlie's funeral. When L'Wren died Mick went to NYC right away, but left a "decoy"
in Australia so no one knew he'd left and no media harassed him in his grief.

They act as they deem fit and no one should be judging them on the basis of guesswork.
Blessings on the Rolling Stones and the rest of Charlie's family.

Miss you baby yeah

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: September 23, 2021 15:52

StonedAsiaExile
ribbelchips
bitusa2012
ribbelchips

I agree it's a bit morbid. He and Shirley have 600 acres; what better place to rest than on your own beloved piece of Heaven.

So. Let's not debate where he's buried. That's for his family and his family only. They want privacy and they deserve it.

I think not. Whenever Shirley passes, the place will probably be sold and doing so with a previous owner buried in the grounds would be very awkward I think.

Anyway I agree with those who say that the manner of Charlie’s final goodbye and who was present is the business of his nearest and dearest and no-one else. A public memorial to celebrate his life’s work at a later date is when the rest of us can get involved, if we so wish.

Date: September 23, 2021 16:20

As long as I'm here ...

georgie48
kovach
I remember reading that somewhere too that he was Jewish. Not that I care one way or the other. He very well may have been of Jewish ethnicity/heritage while not practicing the Jewish religion.

My son's mother is Japanese, but he doesn't practice shintoïsm, buddhism, neither karate, judo, aikido or kendo. In fact he loves American basketball and Dutch soccer. Well okay, he loves Japanese food, but then ... me toogrinning smiley.

Kovach, that's my point too - thanks for saying it clearly. smileys with beer
And georgie48, the effects (or lack thereof) of Japanese heritage don't alter Orthodox Jewish traditions,
whereby if your mother was Jewish then you count as Jewish no matter what your beliefs are.
Similarly, for some nasties around 1939-45 one Jewish grandparent was enough; they didn't ask what anyone believed.

In any case, Charlie is Charlie, and we're blessed to have his drumming in our bones.

Posted by: Lady Jayne ()
Date: September 23, 2021 16:27

grzegorz67
StonedAsiaExile
ribbelchips
bitusa2012
ribbelchips

I think not. Whenever Shirley passes, the place will probably be sold and doing so with a previous owner buried in the grounds would be very awkward I think.

Anyway I agree with those who say that the manner of Charlie’s final goodbye and who was present is the business of his nearest and dearest and no-one else. A public memorial to celebrate his life’s work at a later date is when the rest of us can get involved, if we so wish.

You can't (legally!) just bury people where you fancy in the UK (ashes could be scattered anywhere, of course), so the burial plot on his estate is a non-starter.

Posted by: Kingbeebuzz ()
Date: September 23, 2021 16:56

Lady Jayne is not right in saying burial in his own land is illegal in the UK.
It is not.
As long as the regulations are followed it is quite legal to be buried at home or in your own land.
There are constraints, the main one being to do with closeness to a water course. But it is not illegal as long as you meet the regulations.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: September 23, 2021 17:10

with sssoul

Just to note in passing: We also don't know whether Mick and/or Keith and/or Ronnie attended Charlie's funeral.

When L'Wren died Mick went to NYC right away, but left a "decoy" in Australia so no one knew he'd left and no media harassed him in his grief.

The press said Mick, Keith & Ronnie could not attend Charlie's funeral due to Covid-19 restrictions - [www.TheSun.co.uk] .

The German Edition of [www.RollingStone.de] wrote it was due to a 'formality'.

And in 2014 Keith, Charlie & Ronnie flew back to UK (Mick to Los Angeles) when L'Wren died - [iorr.org] .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-23 17:25 by Irix.

Date: September 27, 2021 01:55

Thanks for responding, Irix.
The press/media say what they say, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's accurate.
And in 2014 Mick left Australia before the others, probably heading to NYC before LA.
He didn't want to be harrassed while grieving and I hope he wasn't.

I just get pained when people judge the Stones harshly on the basis of guesswork.
Who told the newspapers they didn't attend? Maybe they didn't, but we don't know.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1788
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home