Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1516171819202122232425...LastNext
Current Page: 20 of 68
Re: Tour 2022 rumors - The Rolling Stones
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 12, 2022 16:50

exhpart
GasLightStreet
ProfessorWolf
maybe

but i think they'll continue doing a handful of stadium shows a year for at least a couple more years

just hope they don't do one of those "farewell
tours" and just keep performing until they can't or don't want to anymore

just one day they do and the next they don't

Seems like they've always been clear that they won't say such a thing. Mick is always diplomatic, Keith is always "I'll die on stage", Charlie said it's over when his drums blow up and Ronnie... I have no idea but probably along the lines of "It just keeps getting better and better, mate".

Mick stated that the new Stones LP will be the last one. Which to me says more. No matter what, it's winding down.

I believe the Charlie quote is along the lines of "we'll always do a residency in Bognor Regis" and I have never seen or heard where Mick says this will be the last album, although if he did then I'm glad to hear they will be releasing SOMETHING

And I think Mick saying this is going to be the last album is just articulating the obvious. No one would believe him otherwise, given how much time since ABB. No point in shredding one's credibility.

But on the issue of performing it's clearly something they love, so it isn't "work", so nothing to retire from.

They have no need to ever do another show for any reason other than they really want to, which is what the two chiefs want and Ronnie is clearly enjoying himself, so why stop unless it's physically impossible to do so?

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: February 12, 2022 16:58

calipachangero
Well, I don't think a lot of people thought of Charlie as replacable before his demise. I bet even Keith has his succesor appointed. Not that it will be necessary in the near future. But Mick could and would go on without him.

Charlie did.
And he was spot on.

"If Mick or Keith said that [they were retiring] I think we would [fold the band]. If any of the others said [that], no. I think they could get another drummer, I think they could get another guitar player. But, I think that Mick and Keith would or could carry on. But I think if Mick said I'm retiring I don't know how we'd do a show without him and without Keith."

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: February 12, 2022 22:02

treaclefingers
GasLightStreet
Mick stated that the new Stones LP will be the last one.

And I think Mick saying this is going to be the last album is just articulating the obvious.

That Mick "statement" has been posted several times, and despite numerous requests from various posters, no source or link has ever been cited.

Check back in a few weeks when the Department Of Redundancy Department will once again issue that pronouncement.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 12, 2022 22:05

Yeah where did Mick state that ???????

ROCKMAN

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: February 12, 2022 22:32

Rockman
Yeah where did Mick state that ???????

I guess it doesn't matter when, why etc. Jagger said that nor does it matter if the said that at all.
If they that album is ever released it will surely be the last one – for obvious reasons (or does anybody think that after more than 15 years pause they'll be able to create so enough songs to fill more than one album?

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: February 12, 2022 22:43

slewan
If they that album is ever released it will surely be the last one – for obvious reasons (or does anybody think that after more than 15 years pause they'll be able to create so enough songs to fill more than one album?

Well, they knocked off Blue and Lonesome in a few days… not original material, but pretty damn fine.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: February 13, 2022 02:02

bye bye johnny
treaclefingers
GasLightStreet
Mick stated that the new Stones LP will be the last one.

And I think Mick saying this is going to be the last album is just articulating the obvious.

That Mick "statement" has been posted several times, and despite numerous requests from various posters, no source or link has ever been cited.

Check back in a few weeks when the Department Of Redundancy Department will once again issue that pronouncement.

i remember him say something like it would probably be the last album

can't remember exactly which interview it was but i'm pretty sure it was in 2020 or 21 and it was a video or audio interview

then again maybe i did just hear it on here

but he only did so many interviews in that time it shouldn't be to hard to track it down if he said it

Posted by: mrjones ()
Date: February 13, 2022 03:14

oops-thought I was on the 500 page-thread!

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 13, 2022 03:35

calipachangero
Well, I don't think a lot of people thought of Charlie as replacable before his demise.

Not many did, including Keith and Mick.

An excerpt from a 2013 Rolling Stone magazine article by Mikal Gilmore that was published after Charlie passed away:

Keith Richards tells me, more than once, that Watts is essentially the reason that he still plays with Mick Jagger, and the reason the Rolling Stones endure so well and renew so effectively.
Jagger, too, has said he can’t imagine the band continuing without Watts. The Rolling Stones could survive the loss of guitarists Brian Jones and Mick Taylor, and the departure of bassist Bill Wyman. They can withstand years of a world’s distance apart from one another. But they can’t imagine truly being the Rolling Stones without Charlie Watts. Watts is similar-minded: “They are the only people I want to play rock & roll with.”

edit: link -> Rolling Stone

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-02-13 04:24 by Hairball.

Date: February 13, 2022 03:58

mrjones
oops-thought I was on the 500 page-thread!

give it a monthgrinning smiley

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 13, 2022 09:04

Mick stating the new album would it be it was around the time of Living In A Ghost Town as I recall, I just can't recall where. There was a good bit going on about it, the single, and that's when Mick mentioned it, the supposed new Stones album, being the last one. It might've been Billboard magazine.

There's zero reason to make up such a thing. It's beyond obvious that will be the case... unless it never comes out. Then BLUE AND LONESOME will be the last LP.

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: February 13, 2022 13:37

Tried to look up some of the interviews from around the time "Ghost Town" was released, but did not find an actual quote from Mick mentioning a last album.

Nevertheless, let's just face it: if we're ever going to get another new album out of these guys it is, in all likelihood, their last hurrah.

Not their last release (see: Four, Fab!) but their last studio album for all intents and purposes.

As far as Charlie being or having been considered replaceable, well, at least by 2014 they had a "replacement drummer clause" in their touring contracts/insurance policies, so there's that. It was public record as part of a litigation between the Stones and their insurance companies after the 2014 tour was cut short after L'Wren's passing. (The case was ultimately settled out of court.)

A 2014 Daily Telegraph article revealing some of the details of the policy is paywalled but contains the following sentence re: Charlie:

"Insurers would not have to pay up if he had to be replaced as drummer."

[www.telegraph.co.uk]

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2022-02-13 14:03 by Topi.

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: February 13, 2022 13:57

GasLightStreet
Mick stating the new album would it be it was around the time of Living In A Ghost Town as I recall, I just can't recall where. There was a good bit going on about it, the single, and that's when Mick mentioned it, the supposed new Stones album, being the last one. It might've been Billboard magazine.

Billboard quoted Mick's interview with Zane Lowe of Apple Music:

Asked to describe what the coronavirus lockdown has been like for him, Jagger counted himself lucky that he’s in a business where he can lean on a creative outlet and keep rehearsing for the time when The Stones can hit the road again, tinker with songs like “Ghost Town” and write new music. It has, of course, been 15 years since the last original Stones album, and Jagger said part of that is chalked up to him wanting the follow-up to 2005’s A Bigger Bang to not merely be good, but “great.” Richards said they’ve got five to six songs laid down already, which have a “real soul feel about it for some reason without anyone intending to.”

[www.billboard.com]

The interview with Zane Lowe:

Date: February 13, 2022 21:46

...and while it may well be true that Mick didn't actually say that, let's ease up a bit on Skippy here.

You can definitely extrapolate from recent events, and the interminable time it's taken to get to the point after 17 years where we're still speculating on whether there'll be a new album, that it would undoubtedly be the last, fuelled by their desire for one last hurrah, the 60th anniversary, and an homage to Charlie.

That's if we get it at all.

They probably won't ever say yeah, this is the last one, and this is gonna be the last show/tour. It'll just end and we'll know sometime after that was it.

Posted by: spunky ()
Date: February 14, 2022 12:37

Any new tour rumors?
There is talk about a 2nd Werchter Classic festival in Belgium on June 26, could it be for the Stones?

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: February 14, 2022 12:48

spunky
Any new tour rumors?
There is talk about a 2nd Werchter Classic festival in Belgium on June 26, could it be for the Stones?

That was scheduled for Springsteen.
But he postponed his European toor.

Posted by: spunky ()
Date: February 14, 2022 12:52

BowieStone
spunky
Any new tour rumors?
After Springsteen postponed the tour there is talk about a new headliner on the old Springsteen date.

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: February 14, 2022 15:35

spunky
BowieStone
spunky
Any new tour rumors?
After Springsteen postponed the tour there is talk about a new headliner on the old Springsteen date.

Ah, ok. Let's hope it's not the stones then.
It's a terrible venue if you want to get home before 6am.

Posted by: glimmertwinz ()
Date: February 15, 2022 13:58

Very sparse rumours on here.Normally we can start to pice things together by now. Probable UK/Europe tour but other than that, very little to go on. BV any info would be greatly appreciated........

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: February 15, 2022 14:51

Regarding tour planning during the pandemic, this is what I saw on Backstreets.com:

Below is an excerpt from a recent Rolling Stone article from an interview with Pete Townshend.

Townsend talks about the difficulty in touring in the pandemic and how artists like that had tour(s) postponed in 2020 and/or 2021 like The Who, Rolling Stones and Elton John were pretty much forced to tour and deal with everything. As opposed to Springsteen that was not in the same situation but was to tour in 2022 with all of these seen/unknown yet difficulties but needed to plan and finalize the tour "now" despite the tour happening "later" and cancelled the 2022 European leg and pulled their USA venue holds.

RS: How will Covid impact the way you tour? I know that Elton John and the Rolling Stones have been forced to basically create a traveling Covid bubble. Will you be doing something similar?

PT: We have no choice, unfortunately. The insurers are the ones making these dictates. This is not the Rolling Stones or Elton John [making these calls]. This is the insurers. They are insisting that they won’t pay out if you cancel because of Covid. That’s the first thing. And secondly, if they do pay out, they only pay out 85 percent. And thirdly, they up their charges from 2.5 percent to 5 percent and now to 8 percent of the gross income on a tour. It’s absolutely brutal.

I have to confess here that our insurance company here in the U.K., our agent as it were, Robertson Taylor, is a kind of friend. [Laughs] We’ve been working with him since the very beginning. I’ve got no sympathy with the insurance companies, but there you go.

We did get paid out for our U.K. tour, which was fabulous since we were able to pay some of the debt that we had to people around us and help some of the crew and help some friends and family, and just generally charity stuff that we would normally do as a part of what we do every time we go out on tour. We were able to cover some of that in a period that was otherwise totally dead.

I’m happy that they paid us, but one of the stipulations is that when we travel, we’re not allowed to leave our hotel rooms. We have to travel in a very small bubble. And when we’re at the show, we’re not allowed to leave our dressing rooms.

I’m hoping that by May that those restrictions will have been eased a little bit. That’s because your first question was the obvious one: “Are you looking forward to this?” I laughed because this has never been something I love to do, but one of the things that I do greatly enjoy about touring is that people know where you are.

We’ve been in the business now for 60 years. People see our name on a billboard. If they have a phone number of a friend or someone in the crew, or they can get to my PA, they can arrange to meet me. On some occasions, we can fit in a dinner or a family visit. On other occasions, other celebrities or other band members, people I’ve never met, can come backstage and come meet me and talk about music and stuff. The social side of it is really, really valuable to me. I’m not very sociable and I’m not very active socially, so I love it.

Having that taken away from me is a bit saddening. Unlike quite a few people that tour, I don’t spend a lot of time out of my hotel room anyway. I tend to go into a hotel, build a small recording studio, and try to write songs. That’s how I spent my time in hotel rooms. For me, that part of it won’t be too different. But I’ll miss that. I’m hoping, hope against hope, that I can have that back

The idea that I won’t be able to have conversations with the orchestra members that we tour with would be a bit sad. That’s been so great to talk to people about what they do. They might be musicians working with symphony orchestras. They might be session players. They may be half-amateur/half-professional. And we all share that we’ve been stranded on an island for two years. Suddenly we’re back out there. We’ll have a lot we’ll want to share, and these restrictions mean that we won’t be able to.

On the other hand, I don’t want to be Moaning Minnie here. Neither do I want to be a Pollyanna. I think it’s going to be tricky, and I’m very, very keen to make the best of it. We are very lucky, Roger and I, to have a band, what’s left of the band, to take out. We’re lucky that we have what we have together. After two years, I love being at home. I love being at home since I spend so much time in the studio. I love it. I’ve had a very good time during lockdown.

But I work with quite a few other artists. I haven’t just been kicking me heels and feeling frustrated. This is something that … it feels as if the door is opening again. It’s a significant time, and quite strange for everybody. The way that everyone has been turned into pawns of, dare I say it, the politicians, the scientists, the pro-vaxxers, the anti-vaxxers, the people in between.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-02-15 15:24 by Topi.

Posted by: GerardHennessy ()
Date: February 15, 2022 17:32

Doxa
But leaving all that sentimental stuff about 'this is the very last show ever' or that them leaving the stage forever supposed to be some sort of a Bigger Bang (sic) I think with the Stones the question is that ANY concert is such. And has been for a long time. The Stones are so damn popular and blessed that they have never needed to promote any of their tours as farewell ones. People think and had thought for ages the tours in terms like that without any official announcement: this could be the very last time to see the Stones. And as live performers they are pretty convincing to give such an impression - offering a huge event, even a triumph by playing like this is the last time ever, giving all they can and all those legendary songs in one token. Which will be techically the very last concert (sometimes during the 2030s...), attended by whoever, private or public, will be just a historical anecdote, and mean next to nothing at this stage. Just another gig for them... (and some another, say, 10 million dollars...)

- Doxa

None of us know what will happen, retirement-wise. They may not retire officially at all. They may simply not tour. Then again they may retire with a massive blast of publicity. Who knows?

I do believe that, left to the band themselves, they would not make a fuss about retiring. But The Stones are a business conglomerate now. There is an entire corporation behind them, and all the senior executives in that corporation will have an opinion. Many of them will want to maximise the earning potential of a retirement tour, or its equivalent. Of course Mick, Keith and Ronnie will have huge influence. But we don't really know how the business is structured, who has power and who has not, and how the earning potential of the band is leveraged.

I just hope that, whatever happens, the end of the band gives absolute priority to the music. Not to the money, the fame, the celebrity or the business executives. I also hope it is dignified and appropriate. I get nervous when I hear about Mick having the stamina to go on and on. Or that the band (or whoever is in it) can perform into the 2030's. It really would be sad to see The Stones ('featuring the amazing original 86 year old lead singer Mick Jagger') becoming a kind of tribute act to themselves. Propped up by session musicians, friends of friends of the original members, or someone Keith and/or Ronnie passes the baton to and tells us 'here is my appointed deputy on earth'.

And wouldn't it be absolutely awful if the level of performance began to seriously decline to a point where there was an unmistakable degree of embarrassment. Or if one were to overhear one of those drawling, condescending conversations when going to Twickenham for The Stones 2027 European tour, on the lines of 'So who is actually in the band nowadays? Are any of the originals still living?'

Even The Stones cannot keep defying the inevitable march of time forever...

Date: February 15, 2022 21:54

I've never thought about if the Stones were to announce a last tour that if as the shows wind down perhaps ticket prices go up... because that doesn't accomplish anything in reality. "Oh, you couldn't afford to go to the last Rolling Stones show? It was the best ever."

No it wasn't.

Can't see them doing such a thing, yet alone saying it's the last tour. It will more likely be after whatever happens this year, and this is only because of how Keith considered retiring a while back, that now that it's, whatever, up to 15 years or so since the BANG/movie/book/another hits comp and tour and, Keith's third solo album - Keith might very well be the one, the one that has always said he's gonna die on stage blah blah blah, that ops out because he's done.

What they do they're gonna do when they're gonna do and it's running out. What anyone else thinks is nothing.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 15, 2022 22:03

With the news of Keith and the Winos playing the Love Rocks Benefit in N.Y., would be nice to see them do a mini tour of arenas or theaters in select US cities.
Maybe a show or two at MSG, N.Y, then the Forum in L.A., on to MGM in Vegas, and then Chicago United Center...

Date: February 16, 2022 03:09

Hairball
With the news of Keith and the Winos playing the Love Rocks Benefit in N.Y., would be nice to see them do a mini tour of arenas or theaters in select US cities.
Maybe a show or two at MSG, N.Y, then the Forum in L.A., on to MGM in Vegas, and then Chicago United Center...

yes please

as i said in the other thread 7 or so shows spread between nyc, chicago and la with one in vancouver to make up for the canceled show last year

and it would keep keith in fighting shape for the stones tour

Date: February 16, 2022 03:36

I get nervous when I hear about Mick having the stamina to go on and on. Or that the band (or whoever is in it) can perform into the 2030's. It really would be sad to see The Stones ('featuring the amazing original 86 year old lead singer Mick Jagger') becoming a kind of tribute act to themselves. Propped up by session musicians, friends of friends of the original members, or someone Keith and/or Ronnie passes the baton to and tells us 'here is my appointed deputy on earth'.

funny you say that because that is exactly what i think will happen

obviously mick's gonna be the last one standing and he sure seems to enjoy performing and the money that comes from it

and if he intends to keep playing stadiums then he needs the rolling stones name to fill them

mick jagger and the granddads of sodom probably ain't gonna do that

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: February 16, 2022 06:16

ProfessorWolf
Hairball

yes please

as i said in the other thread 7 or so shows spread between nyc, chicago and la with one in vancouver to make up for the canceled show last year

Vancouver would be awesome but I can't see him being popular enough to do a major arena tour. In 93 he played the Orpheum Theatre here, an excellent show. Would be amazing to see him in a small theatre again.

Date: February 16, 2022 06:55

DGA35
ProfessorWolf
Hairball

yes please

Vancouver would be awesome but I can't see him being popular enough to do a major arena tour. In 93 he played the Orpheum Theatre here, an excellent show. Would be amazing to see him in a small theatre again.

Did you see him at that show? I must have been sleepwalking, I wasn't even aware he was in town. Saw them the next year during Voodoo Lounge.

Date: February 16, 2022 07:00

DGA35
ProfessorWolf
Hairball

yes please

thus the idea of a mini tour of small venues

if does it i'm sure it'll just be for the fun of it

the money he could make from a winos tour in 2022 is peanuts compared to the stones tour he'll be doing in 3-4 monthes from now

Date: February 16, 2022 08:18

treaclefingers
...and while it may well be true that Mick didn't actually say that, let's ease up a bit on Skippy here.

You can definitely extrapolate from recent events, and the interminable time it's taken to get to the point after 17 years where we're still speculating on whether there'll be a new album, that it would undoubtedly be the last, fuelled by their desire for one last hurrah, the 60th anniversary, and an homage to Charlie.

That's if we get it at all.

They probably won't ever say yeah, this is the last one, and this is gonna be the last show/tour. It'll just end and we'll know sometime after that was it.

Thank you, treaclefingers, thank you verrrrrrry mucccch indeed.

Is everybody alright in the critic's section? Don't believe a word I said, well, alright.

Roll unto that if you can.

Still not sure of which of the TATTOO YOU video singles is the worst.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: February 16, 2022 08:54

treaclefingers
DGA35
ProfessorWolf
Hairball

yes please

Did you see him at that show? I must have been sleepwalking, I wasn't even aware he was in town. Saw them the next year during Voodoo Lounge.

Yes I saw him, it was one of the best shows I've seen! I remember during one song he knelt down and signed an autograph as the song played on. I remember Ronnie came to town around 1990 and played the Commodore but I didn't see that.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1516171819202122232425...LastNext
Current Page: 20 of 68

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1465
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home