Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Chuck Berry’s ‘In Their Own Words’ Special Set To Air on PBS
Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: July 27, 2021 02:44

Chuck Berry’s extraordinary life will be explored in an episode of PBS’s new primetime special, In Their Own Words, premiering tomorrow, Tuesday, July 27.

In Their Own Words, which kicked off last week with Pope Francis, the Argentian cardinal who made history by being the first pope from the Americas, examines the lives and impact of some of the most intriguing figures in recent history. Combining exclusive interviews with archival footage and each subject’s own words to help tell the story, In Their Own Words sheds light on these compelling personalities and examines their continuing influence.

In Their Own Words will stream simultaneously with broadcast and be available on all station-branded PBS platforms, including PBS.org and the PBS Video app, available on iOS, Android, Roku, Apple TV, Amazon Fire TV, Android TV, Samsung Smart TV, and Chromecast.

Berry’s life is the perfect subject for this series. Says PBS: “Chuck’s Berry’s incredible life story spans more than seven decades, beginning in the clubs and bars of a deeply segregated St. Louis. In 1955, his ‘Maybellene’ rose to No.1 on the R&B chart. It then miraculously crossed over, reaching #5 on the top 100 Pop chart, ultimately birthing a renaissance in popular music we now call rock and roll. To his family, Berry was a sensitive poet and devoted family man. To others, he was a demanding and difficult artist, a ‘diabolical genius’ driven by a voracious appetite for money and a deep desire for respect and control. Abstaining from drugs and alcohol, he had a weakness for women. This episode takes a riveting ride on the Chuck Berry train, exploring the life, the legend, the music, and the man. Featured are interviews with his widow, son and grandson, along with colleagues and musicians who idolize him, including Keith Richards, Robert Cray, Slash, Darius Rucker and more.”

[www.udiscovermusic.com]

Re: OT: Chuck Berry’s ‘In Their Own Words’ Special Set To Air on PBS
Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: July 27, 2021 02:51

Looking forward to it!

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: July 27, 2021 03:42

I will definitely watch this. Berry, Jerry Lee Lewis and Elvis Presley were all tamed by the powers that be - Berry through a jail sentence, Jerry Lee for marrying his younger cousin, Presley by being drafted into the Army. The premise was that doing this kind of sh*t would ace out three of the rock'n'roll biggies and rock'n'roll's influence on American youth. Cover songs of r&b hits by the likes of Pat Boone and idols such as Fabian and Frankie Avalon were to be our fate. Uh huh. Watching Elvis on TCM in G.I. Blues and Blue Hawaii and the dreck he sang in them makes you realize the powers that be goal was accomplished somewhat. Gone forever was the Elvis of Jailhouse Rock and Kid Creole.

Much as some here mock/dislike them, The Beatles, along with other English invasion acts (hello Eric and The Animals) including the Stones, brought American music back to many American youth. Rock'n'roll and r&b, along with Motown and Memphis/Stax, brought the beat to the boomer generation. Chuck Berry, once out of jail, was part of this reawakening, IMHO, through covers done by popular bands, but the popularity he once personally had was never regained.

Regarding the Stones and Chuck B, it would be wonderful if they looked back at their legacy, what they owe to him musically, and put some of his songs back into their touring set list. Would love to hear them crank out Around and Around, Carol and one or two others in concert, exhorting the audience to get up their as*ses and dance. What a tribute to Mister B.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: July 27, 2021 20:46

They did do Around and Around at one of the two Newark shows I think, in 2012.

Would love to hear "Carol," or "Johnny Be Good."

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: CBII ()
Date: July 28, 2021 18:45

Well done "In their own words" documentary. There were a few inaccuracies but Chuck the producer brought a ton of fresh perspectives. Keith was exceptional as always. My mom and sister Melody were wonderful as always.

Can't wait to see the Band here in Saint Louis on September 26th.

CBII

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: July 28, 2021 19:43

Well done indeed, CBII. Nice to see you, along with your Mom and sister.

Lots of great footage - "Johnny B. Goode" from Hullabaloo is a longtime favorite.

Posted by: CBII ()
Date: July 28, 2021 20:10

bye bye johnny
Well done indeed, CBII. Nice to see you, along with your Mom and sister.

Lots of great footage - "Johnny B. Goode" from Hullabaloo is a longtime favorite.

My dad jumping off that drum riser always gets a laugh out of me! It was a real treat last night to see it then Mr. Guys documentary. We had a blast watching it.

CBII

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: July 28, 2021 23:43

this looks great hope they unearthed some unrelesed & uncirculated footage and audio of chuck and i hope it gets a dvd/bluray release i would really like to own it pbs is still pretty good at that though sogrinning smiley

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: July 28, 2021 23:46

oh and thank you cbII for continuing to contributing here

your father was a truly great man and my life would not be the same without his music in it

and could you elaborate on what inaccuracies your referring to

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-07-29 01:08 by ProfessorWolf.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: August 2, 2021 20:16

Great documentary, didn't pull any punches, showed the greatness warts and all, really glad it was authenticated with the help of interviews with CBII and his mother!

Really makes me want to find the Live at the Fillmore album now!

And every time I see footage of the Fox shows I try and find myself in the audience but can't. grinning smiley

He put on a great performance under the arch too back in the 80's if I remember correctly for our annual 4th of July celebration, would like to see footage from that some day!

Sadly never saw him at Blueberry Hill...he played there so much it was one of those "I need to go some time" and just never got around to it.

Thanks CBII for helping keep the music, and Rock and Roll in general, alive. You probably don't remember this but I met you once at a Johnny Johnson celebration downtown at Kiener Plaza when some of the Kentucky Headhunters showed up as well, I vaguely new Johnny through a friend and was talking to him when he introduced you to me, was a pleasure to meet you.

I believe Ingrid used to sometimes sing backup vocals or occasionally lead vocals, surprised she wasn't in the documentary (or maybe I missed her). Hope she's doing well.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-02 20:30 by kovach.

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: August 2, 2021 22:38

Episode's available on PBS through 8/24:

[www.pbs.org]

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: August 3, 2021 13:15

Another excellent special from PBS. Watched this back to back with the Buddy Guy special.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: August 3, 2021 16:15

Looking forward to seeing the documentary here in the UK.

Great to see you posting again CBll, with your informative comments here on IORR. thumbs up

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 3, 2021 17:04

It was a great watch. Finding out his great lyricist talent was cultivated by a lot of exposure to poetry growing up. I do think he was victim of racism, at least the hauling a minor across state lines. We know that Priscilla Presley was a minor when she came to live at Graceland. Is anyone dim enough to think there was no contact between her and Presley? As a minor living there she admits using amphetamines and other pills. Wonder where she got them?

Chuck had a right to be bitter. Unfortunately he let that bitterness affect his judgement, thus the later tax problem. A great artist.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1935
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home