Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Stones concert from another point of view.
Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: November 9, 2005 03:09

Pretty much everybody on here is a certified long-term Stones freak (not to mention - and I quote Mick - a certified fool). It's kind of hard for us to see it from the average concert-goer's point of view. Here's my take - A few years ago, I went to see The Who, one of the greatest ever. I'm a big fan of the band, but certainly nowhere near a fanatic. I wanted to hear Generation, Won't Get Fooled, Pinball, etc., not obscure stuff only the real freaks would know. This is pretty much how it is at the Stones shows we attend. Yeah, I'd like to hear 505, She Saw Me Coming, She Was Hot,etc., but most folks there want to hear Satisfaction, Honky Tonk, JJF, and so forth. I attended the Atlanta show with a couple of Stones virgins. All they could talk about later was SMU, JJF, and Satisfaction! Sure, they also liked Get Off My Cloud and Wild Horses, but the sho-nuff warhorses were their favorites. Please try to keep this in mind. Cheers!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-11-09 03:10 by Elmo Lewis.

Re: Stones concert from another point of view.
Date: November 9, 2005 08:57

I give a shit what most people want to hear.

Posted by: country honk ()
Date: November 9, 2005 09:22

Elmo, completely agree - but even so, it is good they throw in some 5-10 new songs and rarities.....

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: November 9, 2005 12:28

Its a fair point, to some degree, but the Stones have toured so much in the last few years and its quite obvious their audience is getting older (and increasingly restricted to the more affluent) that there cant really be THAT high a percentage of a Stones audience in 2005 who are seeing the band for the first time.

Theres no doubt that if you were seeing your first show, the setlists on the current tour would be pretty much ideal to most of those folks but I personally cant see how - just a couple of years after they last toured - they're taking in a significantly new fanbase with this new tour. They're certainly not taking them in with the new album either, going by the sales...

Date: November 9, 2005 14:54

I agree honk and Gazza. Would like 5-6 from ABB and 3-4 rarities.

Posted by: Reptile ()
Date: November 9, 2005 15:36

I've been saying that for years but never got any positive responses...

Posted by: mr_c_ox ()
Date: November 9, 2005 18:04

Isn't this the problem every band over 20 years old faces? The hardcore fans want album tracks and more obsure stuff and the newer fans want the hits, whilst the band are trying to plug there new album. Only artists i can think of that really succesfully pull this off are Sprinsteen and Bon Jovi........

waits for the laughing

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: November 9, 2005 18:06

pretty deep stuff there, Elmo! no kidding? folks really wanna hear the hits, eh? who'd have thot....

Date: November 9, 2005 19:59

Just trying to put it in terms you could understand. Never seen such a cynical, know-it-all bunch in my life. No satisfaction, indeed!

Posted by: Chas ()
Date: November 9, 2005 20:17

Then you have artists like Neil Young + Bob Dylan who are constantly reinventing themselves and their live performances. Neil played his whole new album on the last tour and Dylan is constantly re-working his old tunes.

They do play to smaller audiences--is artistry vs commerce? I don't know--different approaches.

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: November 9, 2005 21:03

You are dead-on, Elmo. I would guess that 90% of the people at a Stones show want to hear exactly what they are hearing. Us hardcore fans who want to hear the more obscure stuff are in the minority.

Still, I would love to see a bit more compromise, but I'm not complaining. The 1 ABB show I have seen so far (Atlanta) was superb! Warhorses and all!

Ross

Posted by: J-J-Flash ()
Date: November 9, 2005 21:09

Don't buy it, the Stones have too many hits that are recognizeable for even someone who listens to various classic rocks radio stations. There is no need to stick to the same hits every time around and as far as songs like You Got Me Rocking go I hardly consider that a hit or a song that everyone is waiting to hear. They have enough songs to please different kinds of fans. Also most of the conversations I had with various people at Stones shows this tour is "how many times have you seen them." Not "is this your first show."

Hopefully they are listening because they seem to be conscious of bad reviews they have received. But I hardly consider As Tears Go By a rarities, maybe as far as playing it live it is but this song was hit in the 60s and its great that they finally played it.

Date: November 9, 2005 22:20

Hey Ross,

I was in Atlanta too. No complaints either. Finally got to see "Get Off My Cloud". Sure, I wish Mick would confer with me about the set list, but it ain't gonna happen! We should all enjoy while we can. Fans of Jimi, Janis, Elvis, etc. can't go see their heroes anymore, much less gripe about the set list.

""Machine Gun" ain't what it used to be. Why doesn't Jimi bring in Mick Taylor?"

"Damn, "Mercedes Benz" again!"

"What, no "Little Sister". It's never been played live! Warhorses like "Heartbreak Hotel" and "Jailhouse Rock" for the 539th time."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-11-09 22:23 by Elmo Lewis.

Posted by: rocksaurus ()
Date: November 9, 2005 22:59

Your right Elmo. Especially about Elvis. All he did in concert were his "warhorses"

Posted by: kuenzer ()
Date: November 9, 2005 23:10

Yes. That's why Mick Jagger probably feels like a seventies-Elvis now. Solid to brillant
new albums, but everybody prefers Hound Dog ... eh ... YCAGWYW.

Date: November 10, 2005 01:55

Thank goodness the Stones haven't quite ventured into late Elvis territory yet. I hope Cohl and the Prince don't end up being Col. Parkers!

Date: November 10, 2005 02:06

rocksaurus Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Your right Elmo. Especially about Elvis. All he
> did in concert were his "warhorses"

Absolute rubbish

Date: November 10, 2005 02:08

Why is this rubbish? Elvis never even toured in Europe. How can you know?

Date: November 10, 2005 02:12

because its easy to find Elvis' setlists...what has his not playing Europe got to do with it?

and his live albums contain plenty of songs that werent 'hits'.. so its easy to check it out that way too

pick any show from here - always plenty of the obvious classics (usually done as a medley or some kind of throwaway) but plenty of lesser known songs too

[www.elvis-in-concert.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-11-10 02:17 by Gazza.

Date: November 10, 2005 02:18

He played the two songs I listed at almost every show. Seriously. The rest of the post was meant as a JOKE! Lighten up a little!

Posted by: carson99 ()
Date: November 10, 2005 02:19

BUT ... if you're going to release a new album and posture as though your music is still vital and relevant, you should be willing to "put your money where your mouth is" and deliver some kick-ass versions of the new stuff in concert ... Let's not make them into a Las Vegas lounge act any sooner than we must ... On top of that, one can easily argue that every Stones song between 1964 and Some Girl ('78) IS a classic (everybody I know has heard all of those songs a thousand times)!

Date: November 10, 2005 02:20

Oh I know your original Elvis post was a joke, Elmo..but I wasnt responding to your post, but rocksaurus', so I think youve taken it the wrong way...smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-11-10 02:21 by Gazza.

Date: November 10, 2005 02:22

Sorry, my friend, a misunderstanding!

Date: November 10, 2005 02:27

Elmo Lewis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sorry, my friend, a misunderstanding!

thangyaverrahmuch...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1594
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home