Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Andy Taylor (DuranDuran) Keith Richards anecdote
Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: April 25, 2021 22:42

Thought this might be of interest:from this article

Not long afterwards, John got talking at a party to Cubby Broccoli, who produced the James Bond films. 'When are you going to get someone decent to do a Bond theme tune? John asked him.

It was a brash question - John was probably coked up to his eyeballs - but they got talking and the next day we were told that Duran Duran would be doing the title track for the next Bond movie, A View To A Kill. The video for the song was shot on the Eiffel Tower. Ronnie Wood, who was recording with the Rolling Stones at EMI's Pathe studios in Paris, invited me to pop over and watch them in action.

My intention was to go alone, but on the night a little posse of us went along, including John Taylor. Then Ronnie's fellow Stone Keith Richards turned up - in a foul mood.

'Oh yeah, down here on a f***ing coke deal, are you? Well, get it out then,' he snarled. I'm going to have to give him a line and I'll make it a right big one, I thought.

'You lot are just down here for a line of f***ing coke and a mooch about,' he repeated aggressively.

'No, no. Keith, it's all right,' intervened Ronnie. I chopped out a line of cocaine for Keith and it seemed to pacify him.

I'd known what to expect because he'd been obnoxious to Simon when we'd all met previously, and had felt so bad about it afterwards that he wrote Simon an apology.

The Stones' studio was perfect, from the well-stocked bar to the instrument cages that contained all their beautiful old guitars. Bassist Bill Wyman wasn't there, but they just swopped instruments around and all got on with each other.

God, I wish our band was like that, I thought.

I just wanted to sit in the corner and enjoy it, but John was all over the place, swaying around and going 'woo. . whooooo'. He was making a total spectacle of himself.

I don't know if one of the Stones said something to upset him but he then got very emotional and ended up crying his eyes out on the shoulder of Jo Wood, Ronnie's wife. Jo was used to dealing with mad rock stars, but I was mortified.

'Come on, John, let's go,' I said. Back at the Plaza Athenee, there was bedlam. Nick's wife Julie Anne had locked him out of their suite and was screaming at the top of her voice out on the balcony. People thought she was going to fall off.

Re: Andy Taylor (DuranDuran) Keith Richards anecdote
Posted by: FrogSugar ()
Date: April 25, 2021 23:07

Haha, I still haven't finished JT's book, but it's a fun read.

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: April 25, 2021 23:25

I stumbled upon a documentary about DD on TV in Greece today. Their music is a little plastic for me, but they had some great tunes, and there is a big story of their mega fame ups and downs

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: April 25, 2021 23:55

Saw a Duran documentary on movie station in Canada recently, didn't realize how much drugs and partying the band did back in the day!

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: April 26, 2021 20:09

That's a great story

Posted by: LiveAtHidepark ()
Date: April 26, 2021 21:03

peoplewitheyes
Thought this might be of interest:from this article

Not long afterwards, John got talking at a party to Cubby Broccoli, who produced the James Bond films. 'When are you going to get someone decent to do a Bond theme tune? John asked him.

It was a brash question - John was probably coked up to his eyeballs - but they got talking and the next day we were told that Duran Duran would be doing the title track for the next Bond movie, A View To A Kill. The video for the song was shot on the Eiffel Tower. Ronnie Wood, who was recording with the Rolling Stones at EMI's Pathe studios in Paris, invited me to pop over and watch them in action.

My intention was to go alone, but on the night a little posse of us went along, including John Taylor. Then Ronnie's fellow Stone Keith Richards turned up - in a foul mood.

'Oh yeah, down here on a f***ing coke deal, are you? Well, get it out then,' he snarled. I'm going to have to give him a line and I'll make it a right big one, I thought.

'You lot are just down here for a line of f***ing coke and a mooch about,' he repeated aggressively.

'No, no. Keith, it's all right,' intervened Ronnie. I chopped out a line of cocaine for Keith and it seemed to pacify him.

I'd known what to expect because he'd been obnoxious to Simon when we'd all met previously, and had felt so bad about it afterwards that he wrote Simon an apology.

The Stones' studio was perfect, from the well-stocked bar to the instrument cages that contained all their beautiful old guitars. Bassist Bill Wyman wasn't there, but they just swopped instruments around and all got on with each other.

God, I wish our band was like that, I thought.

I just wanted to sit in the corner and enjoy it, but John was all over the place, swaying around and going 'woo. . whooooo'. He was making a total spectacle of himself.

I don't know if one of the Stones said something to upset him but he then got very emotional and ended up crying his eyes out on the shoulder of Jo Wood, Ronnie's wife. Jo was used to dealing with mad rock stars, but I was mortified.

'Come on, John, let's go,' I said. Back at the Plaza Athenee, there was bedlam. Nick's wife Julie Anne had locked him out of their suite and was screaming at the top of her voice out on the balcony. People thought she was going to fall off.

It happened on wednesday 17-04-1985.

And Bill was there.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2356
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home