Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Bill's s Back to Basics
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: March 4, 2021 18:33

LeonidP
emotionalbarbecue
My favorite

It's not bad. Bill's vocals are pretty awful. At least when he sings low key it hides that, so he can pull it off, i.e. like in this song, and especially on What A Blow, from his 1st solo lp.

And not forgetting, In Another Land![/quote]

Bill knows he's not a singer. What he is able to do is come up with something that is different, and pop. Another Land and this one disguise his voice, and you don't really think of Bill. Je Suis is the only one he just sings naturally on. I think they shut his singing down early, after his caterwauling on the live version of Time Is On My Side. Instead of working with him, they probably just shut him down completely, and made him feel bad about his singing. I don't think he ever contributed vocals again. (Except with everyone on SFTD).

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: March 4, 2021 19:04

I like the 'What and How ....' song, but it has a demo-type feel. He should have given it to Mick and Keith. The Stones could dirty it up, improve the soul backup singers, add a sax solo and have a hit.
Maybe Bill could come in, give then a dozen songs, schedule studio time, produce and get the new album in the stores in time for the summer tour.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: March 4, 2021 21:05

I don´t know where to put the picture...

Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: March 4, 2021 22:37

Mick still smoking in 89-90?
Bill certainly was.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: March 4, 2021 22:55

Four Stone Walls
Mick still smoking in 89-90?
Bill certainly was.

I think he nicked it from Bill before.
But where did he put it afterwards?
Back in Bill´s mouth?

Date: March 4, 2021 23:00

No, he had gone to get it for Ronnie who was gasping ......

Date: March 5, 2021 11:02

DandelionPowderman
24FPS
To really appreciate Bill fully, it's good to hear him outside the Stones box. I was watching my ARMS concert DVD last night. For those who haven't seen it, Charlie and Bill are part of the rhythm section for Clapton's opening segment. Bill expertly slides into whatever song style Eric plays. Bill doesn't even sound like he does with the Stones. Which makes you believe he always knew exactly what he was doing. And it's a gas to hear Charlie and Bill rock out on 'Cocaine'.

The other DVD I enjoy is 'Drinkin' TNT 'N' Smokin' Dynamite', where Bill assembles a group to back Muddy Waters at Montreaux in '74. Bill, at their request, also backs up the opening act of Junior Wells and Buddy Guy. Bill is dynamite. You get him outside the Stones and realize he could play a wide range of music, whatever he was called upon to do.

He has released some really good albums, actually. The self-titled album is my favourite. "Stuff" is so far outside the box any Stones member can go (Mick included) - he even raps on it!

But Back To Basics is too slick, lacks the good songs and is only a dim footnote in Bill's discography, imo.

If we must compare Back To Basic with Crosseyed Heart, I'd say that the latter is way better - and it's more varied than people give it credit for:

Blues (Crosseyed Heart)
Country (Robbed Blind)
Soul (Lover's Plea)
Reggae (Love Overdue)
Folk (Goodnight Irene)
Funk/rock (Substantial Damage)
Rhythm and blues (Blues In The Morning)
Rock'n'Roll (Trouble)
Ballads (Suspicious)

The production of the latter is also warmer and more organic to my ears.

Having listened to CEH again it's s pretty damn good. You are right about variety.

Compositionally and lyrically strong. Great guitars. Warmish mix with drums within.

It needs a good voice - Mick - and Keith's bass is not remarkable.
Mr Wyman would have fitted the bill perfectly on this.

Thanks audun for your comments not properly takenin previously too.

Will just have to get a copy some time.

By the way, I noticed by chance last night that Bill plays his Back to Basics bass on the Stones 2012 shows.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-03-06 21:56 by Four Stone Walls.

Date: March 5, 2021 11:15

<It needs a good voice - Mick - and Keith's bass is not remarkable>

Yeah, Keith's latter-day vocals will be aquired taste smiling smiley (He sings excellently on some tracks, though, like Nothing On Me).

I like his bass playing, btw. Bill's would be better, of course.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: March 5, 2021 16:33

DandelionPowderman

Yeah, Keith's latter-day vocals will be aquired taste smiling smiley (He sings excellently on some tracks, though, like Nothing On Me).

Keith did indeed have his highlights on bass, but that was a long, long time ago. Just like his vocal highlights. Face it, when Bill walked away, he took the rhythm of the Stones with him.

Date: March 5, 2021 17:40

24FPS
DandelionPowderman

Keith did indeed have his highlights on bass, but that was a long, long time ago. Just like his vocal highlights. Face it, when Bill walked away, he took the rhythm of the Stones with him.

The bass on Love Overdue is nice, imo.

Date: March 5, 2021 20:45

Keith had some fantastic songs but was not going to give them to Mick/the Stones.

This way we'll have another Jagger Stones album with a few Keith ballads thrown in.

Is my prediction.

rollmops
I listened to it when it was released and it did not make a great impression on me. His voice is very deep and the phrasing is slow on some # almost like Leonard Cohen's singing style ; I did not like it. I should try harder probably because Bill's music is great.
Rockandroll,
Mops

Since strating this thread I found on YT a Bill interview with, I think, a Steve Black ell at the time of Back to B's release.

In it Bill says that he deliberately toned the vocals down to have a Tom Waits/ Leonard Cohen / John Prime 'feel'.

Hmmm

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 5, 2021 23:15

In it Bill says that he deliberately toned the vocals down to have a Tom Waits/ Leonard Cohen / John Prime 'feel'.

The way Bill always kinda recites his lyrics it ends
up sounding like John Cooper Clark speaking over a backing band

ROCKMAN

Date: March 6, 2021 23:07

Some helium would make it more interesting on this song.

Electric shock therapy.

Anything to get him a bit excited really.

(He's ok on his first 2-3 solo albums, especially where he has some backing singers)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-03-06 23:11 by Four Stone Walls.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2117
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home