Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Special Stones albums
Posted by: out of my head ()
Date: November 3, 2005 22:15

Two examples (at least) of a Stones album that takes you back to a certain place and certain time that you have fond memories of.

1. I first heard Beggar's Banquet in November 1992. My friend and I would listen to it over and over and over in his huge "basement room" on days when it was pouring rain outside. We played in a band at the time and were really getting into the Stones. We covered Stray Cat Blues in our band later on. However, Jig Saw Puzzle always stuck out with us. Great times.

2. Tattoo You when I was 9. Just sitting and listening in my room on my cheap ass record player not knowing what the hell any of the songs were saying. Side one was all I would listen to. Now it's funny cuz I listen to Side two a whole lot more. Age I guess.

Share some memories here......

Re: Special Stones albums
Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: November 3, 2005 22:23

Black and Blue - It came out at the time my parents were getting a divorce and my first real girlfriend broke up with me. Even though I know it's not the best, it's still my favorite. We also turned a car over with Fool To Cry playing as loud as it would go! 1976! - What a year!

Some Girls - Released the week I graduated from HIGH school! I was Shattered!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2005-11-03 22:24 by Elmo Lewis.

Posted by: Leonard Keringer ()
Date: November 3, 2005 22:28

Some Girls...used to listen to a cassette of it over & over in the school parking lot in my '64 mercury comet, instead of goin to class....1978 was a great musical year for me....and this gem got me pumped up for my first Stones show....1978 anaheim stadium....they were a force to be reckoned with!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-11-04 02:47 by Leonard Keringer.

Posted by: Rev. Robert W. ()
Date: November 3, 2005 22:50

In December 1987, I was seventeen years old and in my junior year at a boarding school in western Massachusetts. After classes on Friday afternoon, I walked into town and bought vinyl copies of "Physical Grafitti," "Axis: Bold As Love," and "Let It Bleed." It started to snow while I was in the store and continued during my walk back to school.

That night, I put on "Let It Bleed" while I was cleaning up my room and wrapping up the week. "Gimme Shelter," yeah, fine, I know that one from "Hot Rocks." Then comes "Love In Vain." And "Country Honk." And "Let It Bleed."

I just kept stopping whatever I was doing and looking at the turntable. I couldn't believe how funny and decadent and soulful they could sound while doing this warped roots music. "You Got The Silver," "Monkey Man" and finally "Can't Always Get What You Want."

The hits sounded completely different to me when nestled into the context of the album. The Stones had always sounded legendary to me at that point, but the experience of hearing the record properly made me understand where they were coming from in terms of American roots music and what they really stood for.

"Love In Vain"--it was the difference between being a "greatest hits" fan and being happily obsessed with the Stones entire catalogue.

Date: November 3, 2005 23:11

Exile on Main Street ......ofcourse...
My brother bought it for me on my 12th birthday (1976)...I just got introduced to the stones because they where to play in the most ridiculous small footballstadium in Den Haag, Holland. My brother got crazy when the show was announced in Toppop (!) and I had never heard of the stones. My other brother got all crazy too! so i had to know about this band, Started to listen to Beggers Banquet and Sticky Fingers. I didn't get it...just didn't understand the noise that came out of the speakers. Still, listened again and again...until gradually the magic came over me. And then Get yer yaya's out came to me...and that did it, I was sold!!At the same time I started to play the drums and I played the album over and over again, drumming along to Charlie, he was so hot in those days, full of energy! Played very different than he is today by the way.
And than,well, Exile came to me as a gift from my oldest brother. That turned me over for ever and ever, if one doesn't peg Exile as the best Stones album, one can't be a true Stonesfan (can one?). Anyway, when I visited Nellcote, Villefranche Sur Mere, the circle was complete and I grew up right there and then. Go there, if u have the chance, and just feel the atmosphere... it is magic.Exile is the zenith of what the Stones are (rather where....) all about.

Posted by: out of my head ()
Date: November 3, 2005 23:20

charlie is my darlin' Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That turned me over for ever and
> ever, if one doesn't peg Exile as the best Stones
> album, one can't be a true Stonesfan (can one?).

I could not agree more.

The Stones defining album.

Posted by: mandu ()
Date: November 4, 2005 02:06

tattoo you is my special stones album
it was the 1st one i bought
i remember listening to it in the record shop with a friend it took me 2 weeks to save up for it.

Posted by: rock'nroller ()
Date: November 4, 2005 02:37

I remember my History teacher in 8th grade bitching at me becuase he found me reading a Newsweek article about the Stones at Altamont, labelled "Gimme Shelter." He railed at full volume in the library, "I'll Give YOU Shelter!" Needless to say, Ya Ya's was my first love, but fell head over heals with "Exile on Main Street". I can envision the head shop I bought the album from; I wish I were there! I was so in love the the album, I went and bought copies for my closest friends who didn't even like the Stones!

1972 was a great year for me growing up, and the Stones. To see the band on the cover of Time magazine in '72, complete with Mick's white robe, was great. My band had reached the peak; Exile was absolutely unbelievable for me as a fan. The high was turning so many non-Stones fans on to the band, with the incredible diversity on the album. My jazz musician buddy flipped, as one would over something like Dark Side of the Moon...

My desert island disc would be impossible to guess, but side two of Exile is the best for me. It takes you places; insides of the heart and soul of Jagger/Richards/Taylor...

Posted by: Leonard Keringer ()
Date: November 4, 2005 02:44

rocknroller...your school story reminds me of one told by someone else (slightly off topic) this guy i know, bought "Never Mind the Bollocks" when it first came out in '77...he brought it to his Jr.High School (dont know what its called in Europe)music teacher and had him play "Bodies"...when it got to the "fuch this and fuch that" part, the teacher went ape-shit (as he should well have)and threatened to suspend the young punk smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-11-04 02:49 by Leonard Keringer.

Date: November 4, 2005 05:19

Sticky Fingers
Tattoo You
Suckin' in the Seventies
Undercover
Hot Rocks

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1640
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home