Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Big Hits-- Hot Rocks- Fourty Licks-Jump back---and so on
Posted by: Havo ()
Date: November 2, 2005 21:55

i know--there are more than 30 compilations, But which-one you would choose to find the entrance to "STONES-MUSIC"?1963---2005?

Re: Big Hits-- Hot Rocks- Fourty Licks-Jump back---and so on
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 2, 2005 22:25

Singles Collection - The London Years...will deliver the first sucker punch whack!

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Chas ()
Date: November 4, 2005 02:12

Hot Rocks volI

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: November 4, 2005 02:19

as neither of the above two go past 1971 they're hardly an ideal introduction to a career thats spanned over four decades - although theyre both great at covering the Decca era

Its a no-brainer ; 40 Licks, as its the ONLY compilation that covers their entire career

Posted by: rock'nroller ()
Date: November 4, 2005 02:25

Rockman's got it 110%; The London Years blows my mind away every time I pull it out from the closet. It is always refreshing to hear each and every tune off the collection. OK, Disc 2 is my favourite. You have to listen to this collection to get your head out of the water, so to speak. This collection is the unadulterated Stones at the earliest best!

The collection is light years ahead of the ones released with edits that make the songs unlistenable...especially LICKS. It wreaks of inspiring artists reaching for the top. (OK, I'll stop_)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-11-04 02:27 by rock'nroller.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: November 4, 2005 04:15

its a better collection of songs and briliantly put together - but considering Havo asked which is the best collection to cover 42 years of their career, how can you seriously pick a record that covers about 1/6 of that period?

Its a great snapshot of the Stones in the '60's. But they didnt stop in 1969...

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 4, 2005 06:04

Well I did word it....The London Years...will deliver the first sucker punch.

Meaning grab the London Years to get started but if ya want something to cover that time span but miss out on Red Rooster...Stoned & Who's Driving Your Plane then Havo ya better get yaself a copy of 40 Licks.

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Rev. Robert W. ()
Date: November 4, 2005 07:06

Because all the compilations are inadequate in some way, I would take a different tack in attempting a "Stones seduction."

Give the neophyte a copy of "Let It Bleed." They'll be bowled over by it. Three legendary rock'n'roll tunes set in a collection of amazing album tracks.

"Let It Bleed" is the ideal way to whet an appetite for the Stones without letting the newcomer think that compilations tell the whole story. After hearing that album, your target will want to go and find "Satisfaction," "Brown Sugar," "JJF," and "Start Me Up." Besides, the chances are that he or she has a passing familiarity with those songs anyway. He/she is much less likely to get to the individual albums if you start with the greatest hits.

Or maybe a "Let It Bleed"/"Tattoo You" combo? Or "Let It Bleed" and "Sticky Fingers?" "Let It Bleed"/"Some Girls?"

Start with depth before going to breadth.

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: November 4, 2005 07:40

Rip 40 Licks to your computer, delete the four new songs on it, put on your four favorite songs from A Bigger Bang (my picks: RJ, ONNYA, BOMH, IWTL), and you have the perfect 2 disc starter kit for someone just getting into the Stones.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1729
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home