Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

TOP 15 ARCHIVAL ROCK RELEASES OF 2020 per ultimate classic rock (including Goats Head Soup)
Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: December 20, 2020 14:52

[ultimateclassicrock.com

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-12-20 15:17 by Sighunt.

Re: TOP 15 ARCHIVAL ROCK RELEASES OF 2020 per ultimate classic rock (including Goats Head Soup)
Posted by: HTD ()
Date: December 20, 2020 16:07

While I always look at these stupid things -- effective clickbait -- I don't put any stock in them. They're designed to provoke an emotional response -- usually a disagreement -- and get you to keep clicking.

This is the website that apparently has no idea that two of the tracks on "Got Live If You Want It" were studio recordings mixed with audience noise, at least they make no mention of it. If you're going to review a live album, even a brief review, you'd think that would be fairly notable to mention.

Top Ten Live Stones Albums

The review also makes a point of how intense the audience screams are. Ridiculous. They may well have been, but you have no idea how intense they actually were given the fact that Andrew Oldham dubbed in audience noise on all the tracks, including the studio recordings.

So, in their opinion, "Got It Live..." is second only to "Ya-Yas" of all the Stones live albums, and "Brussels Affair" doesn't even make the Top 10? Even more ridiculous.

Duck

Re: TOP 15 ARCHIVAL ROCK RELEASES OF 2020 per ultimate classic rock (including Goats Head Soup)
Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: December 20, 2020 18:45

HTD
While I always look at these stupid things -- effective clickbait -- I don't put any stock in them. They're designed to provoke an emotional response -- usually a disagreement -- and get you to keep clicking.

This is the website that apparently has no idea that two of the tracks on "Got Live If You Want It" were studio recordings mixed with audience noise, at least they make no mention of it. If you're going to review a live album, even a brief review, you'd think that would be fairly notable to mention.

The review also makes a point of how intense the audience screams are. Ridiculous. They may well have been, but you have no idea how intense they actually were given the fact that Andrew Oldham dubbed in audience noise on all the tracks, including the studio recordings.

So, in their opinion, "Got It Live..." is second only to "Ya-Yas" of all the Stones live albums, and "Brussels Affair" doesn't even make the Top 10? Even more ridiculous.

Duck

HTD, try not to read too much into this, although I'm not going to argue with much of your assessment of their prior musical analysis of the Top Ten Live Stones albums (although IMHO, they got Ya Yas right by rating it #1 if my memory serves me well). Sadly, as a person who has followed the Stones since my teens, it appears that many, many music journalists writing articles seem to get it wrong regarding the Stones and their work. However (with the exception of buying the Stones Goats Head Soup & the release of Atlantic City), I have largely been out of the loop this year as far as purchasing the latest and greatest of musical releases (at 64, and being semi-retired, my record buying habits have slowed to a crawl LOL). What this article on the top archival releases did do for me at least (besides being just a tad more substantiative and thought provoking than "Mick Buys his Girlfriend a House in Florida" thread LOL), was pique my curiosity at re-looking at some archival releases that I may have missed and want in my Christmas stocking (hint, hint hope your reading this Mrs. Sighunt) like Cream: 'Goodbye Tour Live 1968'Neil Young: 'Neil Young Archives Vol. II (1972-1976).

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 2020-12-20 19:59 by Sighunt.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: December 20, 2020 19:19

Dude probably doesnt even know about Brussels, it isn't really in common circulation being as one had to buy unrelated expensive releases to get it as a "bonus". Other than that, yeah, to mention screams in Got Live If You Want It as any indication of how excited the audience was is kind of lame. You gotta know it was an audience track superimposed over the recordings, some studio as you mention.

Another lame effort on the part of a writer to get some column inches in print, or at least virtual print.

jb

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 20, 2020 21:07

jbwelda
Dude probably doesnt even know about Brussels, it isn't really in common circulation being as one had to buy unrelated expensive releases to get it as a "bonus". Other than that, yeah, to mention screams in Got Live If You Want It as any indication of how excited the audience was is kind of lame. You gotta know it was an audience track superimposed over the recordings, some studio as you mention.

Another lame effort on the part of a writer to get some column inches in print, or at least virtual print.

jb

Note: We've included the records that have been given full and proper release over their career, omitting albums from the From the Vault series, which has yielded official versions of oft-bootleg shows like The Brussels Affair, which was recorded in 1973, and Hampton Coliseum (Live 1981).

Yet... includes albums in the FROM THE VAULT series and... an album that isn't a live album (STRIPPED).

That is a few years old. That site, and the magazine, is more for people that think newspapers are a vital source of information - facts don't exactly matter and it's outdated before it's released.

That site and rag is for the casual classic rock fan that if they hear Start Me Up or Black Dog they might be interested in buying something to read if it says ROLLING STONES or LED ZEPPELIN on it in really big letters (or that they're finding something cool online). The website is garbage.

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: December 21, 2020 11:18

HTD

Duck

When you're writing about a band with a six decade history, it's hardly surprising that a journalist doesn't know some obscure factoid about the recording of one live album.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2002
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home