Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Arlo Guthrie Interview
Posted by: dmay ()
Date: December 1, 2020 18:36

A nice little read. I am sure many Boomers on this site may have bought the "Alice"s Restaurant" album back in the day. I am sure a number of us sang the line, "Bringin' in a couple of keys, don't touch my bags if you please, Mister Custom's Man" along with "I don't wanna a pickle, just wanna ride my motorsickle" from Arlo's albums. There was a movie made of "Alice's Restaurant" which, when you watch it today, even though it was touted as a comedy when it came out, can be seen as an elegy for the dreams and ideals of the 1960s counterculture.

[www.wbur.org]

Re: OT: Arlo Guthrie Interview
Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: December 1, 2020 18:56

Damn, I hadn't heard that he had retired. I always wanted to see him. I grew up listening to Alice's Restaurant and still listen to it a time or two each year. But don't forget...the significance of the pickle! grinning smiley

Wishing Arlo the very best in retirement.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: December 1, 2020 21:44

I hadn't heard that he retired either. I met him a few years ago. I was driving around town and saw him sitting outside the theater he was to play at that night. I pulled over and parked around the corner, walked up to him and shook his hand, thanked him for coming. He said something like "that's why I do it." Lots that I would have wanted to talk to him/ask him about, but nothing he probably hasn't heard a million times, so I went on my way.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: December 2, 2020 08:48

There's a nice room devoted to him and his work at the Woody Guthrie Center in Tulsa, OK, with a lot of memorabilia from the Alice's Restaurant era, etc., but my favorite parts were the letters that he wrote to his father when he was away at school. grinning smiley And what an amazing circle he moved in. (The Center as a whole is well worth a visit--in addition to all the musical pictures, artifacts, and documents, there's a lot of historical information and re-creations, and all very well-done and beautifully displayed.)

Posted by: angee ()
Date: December 2, 2020 21:40

I was supposed to see him (again) recently, but the Covid crashed out the show and a couple of postponements too.
Dang. He has that uplifting kind of spirit that would balance out the negative stuff that has come around for a while.

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: likecats ()
Date: December 3, 2020 04:46

angee
I was supposed to see him (again) recently, but the Covid crashed out the show and a couple of postponements too.
Dang. He has that uplifting kind of spirit that would balance out the negative stuff that has come around for a while.

I had a ticket too. I didn’t know that he had a couple of strokes in the last few years. I’m disappointed to have another concert cancellation but of course I wish him the best in his retirement.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1934
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home