Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Tubular Bells live 1973 including Mick Taylor!
Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: October 27, 2020 21:04

The strangest things that you can stumble upon on YouTube.

Mike Oldfield 'Tubular Bells' Live at the BBC 1973.

Talk about the ultimate noodling festival!

It just seems so incongruent. Fly back from Brussels and go to a TV studio and then do THIS!!?? lol

Re: Tubular Bells live 1973 including Mick Taylor!
Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: October 27, 2020 21:15

I have to paste this posting that someone left in the YouTube comments because it's just too much! Americans know how to party, and they really knew how to party in the Seventies!

>>>

Somewhere in 1975, my family went to Dallas Texas to visit some old friends. We stayed at the friends house which was near White Rock Lake. The next night, my parents and their friends had a big party. My dad and his friend Bob made some sort of punch with everclear and who knows what else. All the kids were sequester to a back room with a TV and some 32 ounce bottles of coke. If we tried to leave the room, we were ushered back in by our parents. All night long we listened to the sound of the party. The punch took its toll well into the morning, the party went on for a long time, like a drunken hurricane. When the morning came, my friend and I got up to go raid the party food. What we found were people passed out everywhere, the couches, floors, chairs and in every room save the one the kids rode the party out in. I don’t think anyone who came to the party had left yet. My parents were passed out in one room on a waterbed with other people on the floor. my friends parents were passed out in their room with 15 other people, both on the bed and the floor.
I remember the scene like it was yesterday. The room was bathed in yellow light from the morning sun filtering in through yellow sheer curtains. A clock radio was on that the last part of Tubular Bells was playing. It was like the Jonestown massacre with an amazing soundtrack. People laying everywhere, some snoring, all bathed in the yellow light of morning.
My friend and I got the party food and watched as the group slowly woke up and left alone and in pairs in the wake/aftermath of the night before. By 2:00 PM everyone had gone home hungover. My dad and bob never said what was all in the punch but whatever it was, it was at the very eye of that storm.
So every time I hear that last part, I remember that crazy yellow morning and Tubular Bells. I miss the 1970’s!!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 27, 2020 22:40

I think I was the only guy in my city
that didnt own a copy of Tubular Bells .....

It was everywhere and you'd drop by someones
home ... the cover would be on display
and Bells would always be playing ..... zzzzzzzz

ROCKMAN

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: October 28, 2020 07:47

Like it or not, in retrospect, Mick Taylor's involvement in what turned out to be a MASSIVE global hit (as the theme for the film "The Exorcist" that was released at the end of 1973) had to have given him a great deal of confidence of what he was capable of outside the Stones, and probably played some role in his decision to leave the band in late '74.

Posted by: MAF ()
Date: October 28, 2020 10:01

I remember the sound of Tubular Bells running to the front row in 1982...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-10-28 15:52 by MAF.

Date: October 28, 2020 10:57

The album which ultimately launched Virgin Atlantic.......

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: October 28, 2020 11:02

loog droog
Like it or not, in retrospect, Mick Taylor's involvement in what turned out to be a MASSIVE global hit (as the theme for the film "The Exorcist" that was released at the end of 1973) had to have given him a great deal of confidence of what he was capable of outside the Stones, and probably played some role in his decision to leave the band in late '74.

Eh? That simply can't be right.

The original album (I'm a proud possessor of a very very early release which I bought the day after John Peel played it on his BBC show) was indeed a MASSIVE global hit, and was already one by the time the "live" concert was performed.

It's to all intents and purposes a solo album by Mike Oldfield. He plays an extraordinary range of instruments, and the only added performers are Viv Stanshall (voice), Sally Oldfield and a couple of others.

The live concert was nothing like as significant as the basic album, so I strongly doubt your thesis that it gave Mick Taylor the confidence to leave The Stones. Mike Oldfield needed help to perform it live since he couldn't really simultaneously play the Grand Piano, the Glockenspeil, Farsifa Organ, Bass guitar, electric guitar, mandolin, etc etc etc. I can't even remember if there was a recording of the live version released... that shows how insignificant it was as a "hit".

The original album was of course the biggest foundation stone in the rise and rise of Richard Bransom. Before that he was nothing more than a (very good) record vendor, and the owner of a nascent and struggling studio (The Manor). After that.... the sky was almost literally the limit.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: October 28, 2020 19:19

MileHigh
I have to paste this posting that someone left in the YouTube comments because it's just too much! Americans know how to party, and they really knew how to party in the Seventies!

>>>

Somewhere in 1975, my family went to Dallas Texas to visit some old friends. We stayed at the friends house which was near White Rock Lake. The next night, my parents and their friends had a big party. My dad and his friend Bob made some sort of punch with everclear and who knows what else. All the kids were sequester to a back room with a TV and some 32 ounce bottles of coke. If we tried to leave the room, we were ushered back in by our parents. All night long we listened to the sound of the party. The punch took its toll well into the morning, the party went on for a long time, like a drunken hurricane. When the morning came, my friend and I got up to go raid the party food. What we found were people passed out everywhere, the couches, floors, chairs and in every room save the one the kids rode the party out in. I don’t think anyone who came to the party had left yet. My parents were passed out in one room on a waterbed with other people on the floor. my friends parents were passed out in their room with 15 other people, both on the bed and the floor.
I remember the scene like it was yesterday. The room was bathed in yellow light from the morning sun filtering in through yellow sheer curtains. A clock radio was on that the last part of Tubular Bells was playing. It was like the Jonestown massacre with an amazing soundtrack. People laying everywhere, some snoring, all bathed in the yellow light of morning.
My friend and I got the party food and watched as the group slowly woke up and left alone and in pairs in the wake/aftermath of the night before. By 2:00 PM everyone had gone home hungover. My dad and bob never said what was all in the punch but whatever it was, it was at the very eye of that storm.
So every time I hear that last part, I remember that crazy yellow morning and Tubular Bells. I miss the 1970’s!!
Do you think the punch was spiked with Cid ?

Why you do this to me? ... Tubular Bells including Mick Taylor!
Posted by: schillid ()
Date: October 28, 2020 20:02

Why you do this to me?

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: October 28, 2020 20:24

TheGreek
MileHigh

>>>

Linda Sue Dixon?

Posted by: rollingrichard ()
Date: October 28, 2020 20:25

MAF
I remember the sound of Tubular Bells running to the front row in 1982...

So do I, but it wasn't Tubelar Bells, it was another song from Mike Olfield, but I do not remember which one.Not a famous song. I tried to find out a couple of years ago, but it stranded.

I hope someone else knows, it made a heavy impression on me, 38 years ago smoking smiley

Date: October 29, 2020 00:03

It was a fashionable kind of music at the time, experimenting with uneven time signatures and all kind of different instruments and sounds. Although to me it sounds outdated I think that this performance wasn't the place to fall asleep for the musicians involved. Mick Taylor had to pay more attention here than in his entire career with the Rolling Stones, where he could play by ear and intuition only.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-10-29 00:33 by TheflyingDutchman.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: October 29, 2020 01:33

Taylor didn’t need to quit the Stones .He could have stayed in a he band while doing these side projects.He even could have made solo albums like the others while remaining in the Stones.He made a terrible move instead.I think after Bruce /Bley band broke up in the spring of 1975,he would have rejoined the Stones if asked at that time.They left Wymans spot open for 2years hoping he’d return.But I don’t thinkKeith wanted him back.He was more comfortable with Wood.And they did some great stuff with Wood.But if Keith and to a lesser degree Mick wanted Him back,they would have asked him back in 1975

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: October 29, 2020 12:24

crholmstrom
TheGreek
MileHigh

>>>

Linda Sue Dixon?
To which i reply Lucy In the Sky with Diamonds . You do know that i had to Google her name .

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1850
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home