Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567
Current Page: 7 of 7
Re: OT: Eddie Van Halen RIP
Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: October 17, 2020 06:54

TheGreek
RollingFreak
Mathijs
I saw Van Halen in my old hometown Arnhem in the Netherlands, at The Luxor, in the mid 1990's. It was some kind of radio show, with not more than 400 people or so. I really didn't like any of it, the singer was terrible...If I remember well it was Eddie's birthday that day.

Mathijs

[www.setlist.fm]

Looks like it was this show.

This is also the first I'm hearing about Van Halen opening for Bon Jovi. Never knew that. God damn, they certainly fell for awhile there. And that was even before they REALLY fell like 3 years later!
I think in 1996 after they told Sammy Van Haggar to take a hike they brought in Gary Cherone from Extreme - wow talk about out of place like a duck out of water -i mean it was really bad and all we wanted was to hear Eddie tear it up which he most certainly did . Fast forward to 2004 and they reunited with Sammy and i seen them in a arena and they kicked major butt and it was very very good .Then a short 3 years later they bring back David Lee out of moth balls and storage and we just ate it up , then seven years later with David Lee again and that was the last time for me seeing them . There was a You Tube clip that i should have posted that had all of Eddie's times on David Letterman sitting in with Paul Shaffer and the Worlds Most Dangerous Band . Eddie was so good and tearing it up on his Kramer Hockey stick headstock Strat style guitar playing thru a old Marshall head ( probably a Plexi ) with the logo blacked out with the infamous tape , i did not know what the cab was or what speakers were in it , but he was playing fire scorching leads .

One thing about when they toured with Gary Cherone, at least he had no problems singing both eras whereas Sammy didn't want to sing any DLR songs except the usual Jump, Panama, You Really Got Me. Never saw VH with Cherone but seeing vids, I think of him being in VH like Graham Bonnet being in Rainbow, great voice but looked out of place. Ironic you said 04 they kicked butt when that tour Eddie was out of it and I think the tour finale in Tuscon, the band basically walked off stage at the end and went their separate ways.
Saw an interview with Ray Danniels in a Rush documentary. Ray managed VH in the 90s after Ed Leffler passed. He talked about bands taking a curtain call bow to thank the audience and he said even VH did on the 95 tour and at that point the band couldn't stand each other!

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: October 17, 2020 06:55

thanx Gaslight. That was some great stuff.

Posted by: KevinM ()
Date: October 21, 2020 05:02

I knew Eddie & Alex's dad was a multi-instrumentalist, but wow!

Mr. Van Halen (Sr.) shredding

no wonder Eddie became so good, got it from his old man.

Date: October 21, 2020 07:42

Jan Van Halen passed at a relatively early age of 66 at the end of 1986. This was at the height of the VH vs. DLR era. Despite the animosity between the two sides, DLR went to the funeral to pay his respects.
It was Dave that wanted to record Big Bad Bill is Sweet William Now on Diver Down. He also requested Mr. Van Halen play clarinet on the song. It was also Dave that suggested in the mid 70s that the band change their name from Mammoth to Van Halen.

Date: October 29, 2020 08:13

KevinM

If you haven't watched the video linked above, you're missing out, it's spectacular.

article on the contents & depth of the archive @ 5150, plus '77-'17, EVH 30 pics for 30 years.

"Eddie Van Halen Left Behind ‘Close to a Million CDs’ of Music"

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: October 29, 2020 11:41

KevinM

You know this is Roy Smeck, right?

Mathijs

Date: October 29, 2020 21:22

Mathijs
KevinM

Mathijs

No I didn't know that, or even who Roy Smeck is/was. The YT video is titled "Eddie Van Halen's Dad", so I took it literally, never having seen either Sr. or Roy.

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: October 30, 2020 00:45

KevinM
Mathijs
KevinM

Mathijs

No I didn't know that, or even who Roy Smeck is/was. The YT video is titled "Eddie Van Halen's Dad", so I took it literally, never having seen either Sr. or Roy.

wow

Date: November 3, 2020 02:56

Unreleased Van Halen Tracks Include Alternate ‘Hot for Teacher’

full article:

"
An alternate version of "Hot for Teacher," featuring different lyrics and Eddie Van Halen dueling with himself on bass and guitar, is among the Van Halen treasures locked up in their record label's vault.

This unheard version of the hit 1984 single, along with a different take on Van Halen's "Little Dreamer" and four CDs worth of "usable, releasable material," was unearthed 15 years ago by engineer Brian Kehew, an independent contractor who was asked to sift through the Warner Bros. archive in search of material for potential expanded reissues of Van Halen's studio albums.

"'Hot for Teacher,' there's different lyrics all the way through it," he explains in the new Sunset Sound Recorders video interview embedded below. "Dave [singer David Lee Roth]'s original vocal had different words. That is a strange one, because Eddie plays bass on that one. ... And on the intro, which is that great guitar part, he actually doubled it on the bass. But probably, they couldn't quite play it live, so they didn't keep it on the record. But they did keep [the rest of] Ed's bass track on the actual record."

If you're wondering how this bass and guitar duel could have sounded, Kehew says you can get an idea by hearing what Steve Vai and Billy Sheehan did on Roth's full-length solo debut Eat 'Em and Smile two years later. "If you've heard 'Shyboy' ...they did the exact kind of idea," he noted. "They took that idea, to do the bass and the guitar doubling and tapping each other in octaves, which is exactly what Eddie tried to do on ['Hot for Teacher']"

The music found by Kehew dates back to Van Halen’s earliest days at Sunset Sound in 1977 up until the recording of 1984, which was tracked at Eddie's 5150 Studios in 1983. In addition to the unreleased versions of "Hot for Teacher" and "Little Dreamer," there are also first-generation versions of long bootlegged demos such as “Bring on the Girls” and “Voodoo Queen," which later morphed into “Beautiful Girls” and “Mean Street,” respectively.

Four CDs were put together,” he explains. “I know [Warner Bros.] made a set that went out to the various people. I know that they handed some to [drummer] Alex [Van Halen], I don’t know that Eddie got some, [but] years later one of Ed’s friends called me and said, ‘Do you still have those tapes?’”

Around that time, Van Halen were working on what would become A Different Kind of Truth, the 2012 studio album reunion with Roth which featured re-worked versions of some of the group’s earliest unreleased songs.

Asked why the material he uncovered a decade and a half ago has yet to reach the public, Kehew says the timing was never quite right. “At the time, Sammy Hagar was in the group, so it was bad timing to promote anything with Dave,” he says. “When Dave got back in the band, ‘Now we need a new album, now we need a new live record,’ and it was not a time to promote the past and the old stuff. I think down the road somewhere, it will be time.”

Soon after Eddie Van Halen's death last month, band manager Irving Azoff stated that Alex and Wolfgang Van Halen would at some point go through the vaults at the guitarist's 5150 studio to look for unreleased songs.

“Given that we have this great stuff in store, all the tapes at 5150 that people have seen – who knows what’s on there – but I’ll be willing to pay for it, whatever they can put out that’s good,” Kehew says. “Ideally, hopefully some of the stuff in the Warner's vault is worth releasing too. There’s a lot going on there. It’s not tons and tons, but there is absolutely top quality – not just outtakes or rehash – but great stuff which shows how good they were.
"

SUNSET SOUND Engineer Brian Kehew talks Van Halen and what he found in the Warner Bros. Vault.

Posted by: TKinOH ()
Date: November 3, 2020 07:50

Thanks for this link!!

Fantastic insights here, just a great teaser of what could come...

Date: November 3, 2020 22:56

TKinOH
Thanks for this link!!

Fantastic insights here, just a great teaser of what could come...

did you watch/listen to this yet? (I have yet to).

SUNSET SOUND Engineer Brian Kehew talks Van Halen and what he found in the Warner Bros. Vault.

Date: November 4, 2020 02:50

Oh yeah!

Great of Sunset Sound to get this guy to talk about his experiences going through the Warner vaults of Van Halen material...

Date: November 12, 2020 06:38

I don't remember if I posted this or not...

Van Halen Album History: The Stories Behind All 12 Records

Excerpt: 'Fair Warning' (1981)

Fair Warning was where the fundamental differences between Van Halen's two creative forces began to reveal themselves on record. Eddie Van Halen's desire to move in new directions ran up against Roth's insistence to keep the good times rolling. To combat this, the guitarist would often go back into the studio late at night and re-record his parts to his liking. "The @#$%&-up thing was, no one even noticed," Van Halen said years later. "That's how uninvolved they were on a musical level."

When Van Halen Became Dark and Aggressive on ‘Fair Warning’

As Van Halen entered the studio to record their fourth album, they were well on their way to becoming one of the world's biggest rock bands — yet inside the group, creative tension was already running high.

Like many young artists, guitarist Eddie Van Halen felt constrained by his own success as the group bore down on what would become their fourth LP, 1981's Fair Warning. Eager to send Van Halen's new music in different directions, he chafed against the resistance he felt he faced — primarily from singer David Lee Roth, who Eddie saw as being overly committed to keeping the band's records safely commercial, and producer Ted Templeman, whose insistence on maintaining a live aesthetic prevented much in the way of studio experimentation.

To work around those obstacles, Van Halen took his first steps toward claiming a greater degree of control in the recording process. In a few years, he'd finish construction on his own home studio, but during the sessions for Fair Warning, he had a quicker shortcut to cutting out the interference: enlisting engineer Donn Landee's help, Eddie simply let himself back into the studio after everyone else went home.

"I wasn't very happy with the way things were going or the way people were approaching the whole recording process," Eddie said years later. "I would sneak back into the studio at 4AM with Don Landee, the engineer, and completely re-record all the solos and overdubs the way I wanted them. The @#$%&-up thing was, no one even noticed. That's how uninvolved they were on a musical level."

Also an issue, at least in Eddie's eyes, was his then-recent marriage to TV star Valerie Bertinelli, which he claimed had a souring effect on his relationship with Roth. The tension between Roth's showmanship and Van Halen's more introverted personality helped throw some of the sparks that made the band's music so much fun, but by the early '80s, the stress was starting to show.

"It was kind of a dark period in my life. I was getting married, which flipped Roth out to the bone. I actually overheard him say, 'That @#$%& little prick, not only is he winning all the guitar awards, but he's also the first to marry a movie star,'" said Eddie. "So that's what I was up against. A guy that wanted everything that was going my way. The funny thing was, I really didn't want the attention, and it came to me anyway. I didn't want the press — it was like, 'Leave me alone.' ... On the whole album I was angry, frustrated and loose."

All that frustration fed into Fair Warning, which arrived in stores on April 29, 1981. A fairly slender record, clocking in at just over half an hour, it took Van Halen's sound in a darker, more aggressive direction, and even though the album's less pop-friendly approach didn't affect its impact at rock radio — where Fair Warning spun off four Top 40 singles — it slowed their stride a bit among mainstream listeners. Despite a No. 6 peak and a platinum certification before the end of the year, it would ultimately go down as the slowest-selling Van Halen release of the Roth era.

Fair Warning's commercial reception helped feed into the covers-heavy approach they'd take with their next release, 1982's Diver Down, and the fault lines in the lineup would shortly lead to Roth's departure from the band in 1985. But in the meantime, Fair Warning offered fans reassurances that Van Halen weren't about to tone down their sound in pursuit of pop airplay — and from the outside, they still looked like California's preeminent rock 'n' roll party band.

"It becomes more fun with each season. Each tour that we make, each record that we make — we know how to do it," Roth told Creem. "You know? There's always little fears in the back of your head about, 'Oh, what are they gonna think about this,' or 'What's somebody gonna think about that?' You get a little twinge when you make a record sometimes. But now — who cares?"

Date: November 12, 2020 08:37

I remember when Fair Warning came out, it felt like Women and Children First was still a new album! Like if the Stones released an album this month when their last release was just late last year!

Posted by: Rocknroll1969 ()
Date: November 16, 2020 23:27

Eddie Van Halen’s son released this song today. [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: November 17, 2020 02:47

Rocknroll1969

Nice video/clip.............

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 17, 2020 03:41

"Wolf Van Halen confirms the Van Halen reunion rumors were true while talking with Howard Stern".

Date: November 17, 2020 05:00

About 50 minutes into the whole Stern interview, they roll a second cut called "You're To Blame"... and it jams!

Wolfgang has the chops...

Mammothwvh.com

Date: November 17, 2020 09:23

Wow, what Wolf says about the possible reunion tour with not only Mike but also Sammy and even Gary. That would have been amazing. All three singers, Mike and Wolf opening up as well as playing a few songs with the band.
I hope eventually they can do a tribute concert with all.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: November 17, 2020 17:43

Yeah, Wolfie's songs were actually really good.

Posted by: spikenyc ()
Date: November 17, 2020 17:44

Rocknroll1969

Heartbreaking. Wolfie is a good son.

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: November 17, 2020 18:02

spikenyc
Rocknroll1969

Heartbreaking. Wolfie is a good son.

Omg so sad but yes, his Dad will ALWAYS be with him. Great song too!

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: November 17, 2020 22:20

Rocknroll1969

Nice song. Genetics....

Date: November 17, 2020 23:21

[www.youtube.com]

"You're To Blame"

A fan ripped the second song from Mammoth WVH, aired on the Howard Stern show yesterday... pretty rockin' tune!

For those who don't know, Wolfgang Van Halen has done ALL the instruments and vocals on the album, and said he's had his band all ready to go since 2018, but he delayed the release and tour because his Pop's health started to decline...

"Distance" hit #1 on iTunes last night... not bad for Day 1!

Date: November 21, 2020 00:19

Posted by: Ricky ()
Date: November 21, 2020 23:32

I hope it wasn't posted before...
Eddie Van Halen with Sheryl Crow - Bitch
[www.youtube.com]

Date: November 21, 2020 23:38

Ricky
I hope it wasn't posted before...
Eddie Van Halen with Sheryl Crow - Bitch
[www.youtube.com]

& Mr Bobby Keyes on sax. Thanks!

Date: November 22, 2020 01:53

When you watch the Youtube vid, someone else posted a number of songs from the VH1 show from 1996. On Bitch, Max Weinberg on drums, Paul Shaffer, Richie Sambora and Bryan Adams, in his greasy hair grunge phase which I always hated!

Date: November 22, 2020 02:42

DGA35
When you watch the Youtube vid, someone else posted a number of songs from the VH1 show from 1996. On Bitch, Max Weinberg on drums, Paul Shaffer, Richie Sambora and Bryan Adams, in his greasy hair grunge phase which I always hated!

Bryan Adams, in his greasy hair grunge phase

Maybe he was trying to distract for the, ahhhhhhh, wimpy nature of some of his songs. I know he's Canadian but so are the members of Nickelback. grinning smiley

Date: November 22, 2020 04:42

Bryan needs to stick with his jeans/tshirt/jean jacket look! Cuts Like a Knife, Summer of 69, Run To You etc. He does own Warehouse Studios in Vancouver though, where AC/DC has recorded their last several albums. Ironically Nickelback has also recorded there! Chad Kroeger owned a huge house in the Langley area just outside of Vancouver but I think he sold it.

Goto Page: Previous1234567
Current Page: 7 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1776
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home