Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: whats the best stones vinyl to have
Date: August 30, 2020 11:11

KevinM
DandelionPowderman
KevinM
All the studio LP's US and/or UK (if feasible) from '64's England's Newest Hitmakers through '83's Undercover.

If you can find it get the TSMR (with the psychedelic cover), BB (bathroom graffiti) & SF (with real zipper cover).

Live:
Got Live If You Want It
Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out
Love You Live
Still Life
Gimme Shelter

Compilation:
Metamorphosis
Flowers
Hot Rocks
Big Hits & Fazed Cookies
Through The Past Darkly
High Tide & Green Grass (Bird's Eye lens cover)
Solid Rock
Rewind
Sucking In the 70's
Made In The Shade
...among others. you really can't go wrong with the official Stones comp's.

*Singles Collection: The London Years 4LP boxset

RS- WIki Discography

5X5 EP is a solid add.

On Air (live at the BBC)

Good luck.

Gimme Shelter is tracks from GLIYWI.

I have 2 completely different LP's with some overlap of songs. I don't know if the overlapped versions are the same as I haven't listened to either since the early 1980's. There are 6 songs highlighted below, that aren't on GS.

GLIYWI: (London '66), recordings from 63-66

Side 1
1. "Under My Thumb" 2:46
2. "Get Off of My Cloud" 2:54
3. "Lady Jane" 3:05
4. "Not Fade Away" (Norman Petty/Charles Hardin) 2:00
5. "I've Been Loving You Too Long" (Otis Redding/Jerry Butler) 2:53
6. "Fortune Teller" (Naomi Neville) 2:09

Side 2
1. "The Last Time" 3:09
2. "19th Nervous Breakdown" 3:24

3. "Time Is on My Side" (Norman Meade) 2:49
4. "I'm Alright" (Ellas McDaniel) 2:21
5. "Have You Seen Your Mother, Baby, Standing in the Shadow?" 2:16
6. "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction" 3:45

Versus... RS - Gimme Shelter (live LP, Decca)

Side 1

"Jumpin' Jack Flash"
"Love in Vain" (Robert Johnson)
"Honky Tonk Women"
"Street Fighting Man"
"Sympathy for the Devil"
"Gimme Shelter"

Side 2

"Under My Thumb"
"Time Is on My Side" (Norman Meade)
"I've Been Loving You Too Long" (Otis Redding, Jerry Butler)
"Fortune Teller" (Naomi Neville)
"Lady Jane"
"(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction"

My point was that all the live tracks on GS are taken from GLIYWI - hence GS is just a compilation.

Date: August 30, 2020 11:14

jbwelda
Gimme Shelter, wasnt that a straight compilation lifted off GLIYWI (one side) and GYYYO (the other side) with the exception of the title track. I don't have the record...is the song GS the studio version, the live cut from the movie soundtrack, or something else? I never bought the record because it just seemed like a redundant rip off to me. And its funny, they used the two tracks from GLIYWI that are studio tracks with phony audience sounds mixed in (in one of the two channels if I remember right).

jb

No. Hits on one side and live tracks from GLIYWI the other side.

The album you're thinking of was called 'The Rolling Stones - In Concert'

The Rolling Stones - The Rolling Stones In Concert

Url: [www.discogs.com]

Shared from the Discogs App

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 30, 2020 16:26

VoodooLounge13
I have never really been a collector of the Stones vinyl, preferring everything on CD, and even there I do have plenty enough holes to plug these days. However, I have in more recent years added to the vinyl collection. For instance, I bought LIAGT on orange vinyl; have the 12" of Satisfaction released a few years back; the 50th anniv of Beggars; and the rerelease of the Spanish Sticky Fingers from a few years back. There are vinyl boxsets that I have, too. I have also thought about building out the vinyl collection starting with the Vault releases. The problem is that they are so dam expensive! Roughly $50 for something I will never even open let alone listen to, and my 2nd wife does NOT understand/appreciate my need for any physical copies of anything - movies, music, books, etc. So, that makes things a bit harder, too. I would like to have the complete Sticky Fingers collection on Vinyl - original, Spanish, Vault, and Russian.

All that being said, I think I'd first get the unedited vinyl version of Live Licks!!!! >grinning smiley<eye rolling smileydrinking smileyhot smiley

After reading this, I feel we may be married to the same woman.

Date: August 30, 2020 16:32

It's a matter of taste, what you like. If you like ALL the stones albums, the most efficient route to take is, MONO Box for the 60s material, and the newer box set covering 71-Blue & Lonesome.

If you've been collecting for years, even then it's not easy to accumulate absolutely everything, god knows I've tried.

The advantage of getting those two box sets is that it's easy (sure, a bit expensive...I got the MONO box for CAD $229 and the later box for $299 - a lot more for both now) and the quality of the pressings and the fact they're new means you're going to get on average probably the best quality available.

With some luck you'd get both for under $1000 but I think the mono box price went up quite a bit since its release.

Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: August 30, 2020 17:25

1963luca0
In my opinion, the vinyl records one should have are the entire US and UK discogrpahies. Nothing else, nothing more. I can say so after 40+ years of record collecting and after having spent a lot after 'useless' pressings from almost every place of the planet. A British group that invaded the USA: this is what we're talking about. That said, I do buy records coming from Canada and Ireland because stricktly connected to the Countries I collect. Multiple copies? Yes, of course...
My personal point of view, obviously!

Luca, from someone who has lso collected all of the US & UK vinyl over the past 45 years, you nailed it. Of course, there are some special vinyl pressingsthata collector would seek out (Miss You pink vinyl 12" and Spanish Sticky Fingerscome to mind), but otherwise, just get all of the US & UK LPS and the 45s with non-Lp trax.

stonesstein

Kick me like you did before
I can't even feel the pain no more
Rocks Off, 1972

Date: August 30, 2020 19:57

stonesstein
1963luca0
In my opinion, the vinyl records one should have are the entire US and UK discogrpahies. Nothing else, nothing more. I can say so after 40+ years of record collecting and after having spent a lot after 'useless' pressings from almost every place of the planet. A British group that invaded the USA: this is what we're talking about. That said, I do buy records coming from Canada and Ireland because stricktly connected to the Countries I collect. Multiple copies? Yes, of course...
My personal point of view, obviously!

Luca, from someone who has lso collected all of the US & UK vinyl over the past 45 years, you nailed it. Of course, there are some special vinyl pressingsthata collector would seek out (Miss You pink vinyl 12" and Spanish Sticky Fingerscome to mind), but otherwise, just get all of the US & UK LPS and the 45s with non-Lp trax.

I'm also in this camp, with duplicates of everything, and multiple sealed copies of everything.

Some big things missing from my collection are the Promotional Album, Beast original picture sleeve, SFM original picture sleeve, UK first album with short version of Tell Me, and original mono UK LIB in boxed or open letters.

Other than that I'm good. Still need to buy the LIAGT purple and orange vinyl versions.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: August 30, 2020 22:42

KevinM
VoodooLounge13
georgemcdonnell314
VoodooLounge13
I have never really been a collector of the Stones vinyl, preferring everything on CD, and even there I do have plenty enough holes to plug these days. However, I have in more recent years added to the vinyl collection. For instance, I bought LIAGT on orange vinyl; have the 12" of Satisfaction released a few years back; the 50th anniv of Beggars; and the rerelease of the Spanish Sticky Fingers from a few years back. There are vinyl boxsets that I have, too. I have also thought about building out the vinyl collection starting with the Vault releases. The problem is that they are so dam expensive! Roughly $50 for something I will never even open let alone listen to, and my 2nd wife does NOT understand/appreciate my need for any physical copies of anything - movies, music, books, etc. So, that makes things a bit harder, too. I would like to have the complete Sticky Fingers collection on Vinyl - original, Spanish, Vault, and Russian.

All that being said, I think I'd first get the unedited vinyl version of Live Licks!!!! >grinning smiley<eye rolling smileydrinking smileyhot smiley

This is the exact reason my first marriage ended. I just had to tell her I loved the Stones more!

Right??!! I feel like there needs to be some semblance of understanding here with this!!!

I like how you refer to your current wife as "my 2nd wife", this made me laugh.

Sorry she doesn't "get it". Maybe you can think of something that she "has to have" in physical form, but is cheaper/easier etc. in digital form? Maybe try telling her the (sealed) LP's are likely to go up in value, so it's more of an investment vs. hobby. Or, if she wears make-up, suggest cheaper make-up vs. the (way overpriced) more expensive crap. Or regular but decent clothes, instead of high-end stuff? Or, just be happy you're not spending it on gambling, drugs & alcohol, other women, useless crap etc. Just a few suggestions, hope it helps. smiling smiley

Disclaimer: I'm not a marriage counselor, nor do I "identify" as one (as the millenials say). Hoping she comes around on the LP's.

Ah well, it's not just the LP's. It's books, blu-rays, CD's. Like I'd mentioned, physical copies of anything. She just throws on music from youtube, watches movies from netflix, has no real use for movie theaters. Honestly, I've been spending a lot of time thinking about how my life looks of late. Could be bigger things at work, I'm afraid....

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1768
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home