Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Kurhaus 1964
Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: August 9, 2020 00:01

For the "dutches" among the IORRers to remember ...
Today, 56 years ago, the Rolling Stones gave their first ever live concert on the European Continent in the Kurhaus Hotel in Scheveningen (The Hague) in the Netherlands.
About half way the fifth song (so about 15 minutes) they had to run for their lives, almost leaving Ian Stewart, who had a head injury due to a flying bottle, behind.
The Rolling Stones however made their mark, which still stands today. Beautiful piece of historythumbs upsmileys with beer

Re: Kurhaus 1964
Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: August 9, 2020 00:21

Dammm..

Hadn't seen the footage before

[faroutmagazine.co.uk]

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: August 9, 2020 00:35

Stones concert at Kurhaus on 8th August 1964 - [iorr.org] .

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 9, 2020 00:35

georgie48
Today, 56 years ago, the Rolling Stones gave their first ever live concert on the European Continent in the Kurhaus Hotel in Scheveningen (The Hague) in the Netherlands.
About half way the fifth song (so about 15 minutes) they had to run for their lives, almost leaving Ian Stewart, who had a head injury due to a flying bottle, behind.
The Rolling Stones however made their mark, which still stands today. Beautiful piece of historythumbs upsmileys with beer

thumbs up

Here ya go georgie - a pic I took a few years ago of the majestic Kurhaus Hotel from the shoreline on a warm and beautiful sunny summer day.

Date: August 9, 2020 00:55

Hairball
georgie48

thumbs up

Here ya go georgie - a pic I took a few years ago of the majestic Kurhaus Hotel from the shoreline on a warm and beautiful sunny summer day.

Nice shot, Hairball.
You wouldn't believe your own eyes if you would have watched Dutch TV today ...
35 degrees Celsius and corona? Madness! Traffic jams near the coast where people had to wait for a parking spot to sometimes more than one and half hour! People seriously trying to keep distance, but ... no space for distance confused smiley

By the way, in 2004 I organised the 40st Anniversary of that special day ... in the Kurhaus. Live radio broadcast, a great cover band, Ronnie's art exhibition, T-shirt, great food and drinks and 900 guests (half of them for free). Only didn't manage to have any of the Stones around (risky security business anyway).
Great memories smileys with beer

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: August 9, 2020 01:01

georgie48
Hairball
georgie48

thumbs up

Nice shot, Hairball.
35 degrees Celsius and corona? Madness! Traffic jams near the coast where people had to wait for a parking spot to sometimes more than one and half hour! People seriously trying to keep distance, but ... no space for distance confused smiley

By the way, in 2004 I organised the 40st Anniversary of that special day ... in the Kurhaus. Live radio broadcast, a great cover band, Ronnie's art exhibition, T-shirt, great food and drinks and 900 guests (half of them for free). Only didn't manage to have any of the Stones around (risky security business anyway).
Hairball, I hope you don’t mind me asking you if you are from the Netherlands.I know this is off topic,but I’m getting a Dutch Shepherd puppy next week.Its really rare here in New York, my vet has never even seen one.Are they good dogs for a family.And to keep this somewhat on topic I’m getting him a Stones towel

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-09 01:02 by Taylor1.

Date: August 9, 2020 01:15

Hi Taylor1,

Hairball isn't, but I am. I never heard of Dutch Shepherds! However, German Shepherds are famous. Beautiful dogs, but you really need to know the puppy's background. They can be very loyal family dogs, but some can be really nasty, even for family members. Name him/her Keith and maybe you'll be fine cool smiley
Best of luck!
smileys with beer

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: August 9, 2020 01:20

Dutch Shepards / Hollandse herdershond:

[nl.wikipedia.org]
[www.akc.org]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-09 01:22 by Koen.

Date: August 9, 2020 01:53

Koen
Dutch Shepards / Hollandse herdershond:

[nl.wikipedia.org]
[www.akc.org]
Thanks,I’ve read this,but I was wondering if anyone in the Neatherlands has had one.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: August 9, 2020 02:11

Like @georgie48 above, I have never heard of them. I don’t think they are popular.

Date: August 9, 2020 03:12

Koen
Like @georgie48 above, I have never heard of them. I don’t think they are popular.
Thanks. Hi

Date: August 9, 2020 03:35

Hi Taylor1 - as georgie said, no I'm not from the Netherlands, but I've got Dutch blood running through my veins, have been there many times, and lived there for a summer back in the '80s.
My Great Grandfather brought his entire family to America from Rotterdam back in the 30's just prior to WWII. A wise decision to flee the scene as Rotterdam was blown to smithereens in 1940 during the war.
I have a picture of them all on a ship during the crossing to America, and amazing to see my Grandmother as an 18 year old w/her sisters, and to think of what might have been had they stayed in Rotterdam.
One thing for sure, I certainly wouldn't be here! And then there's my English and Scottish roots...perhaps for another thread...winking smiley

Date: August 9, 2020 03:49

georgie48

Nice shot, Hairball.

Crazy days georgie and that's quite warm...sounds like a typical Southern California summer scene down in the crowded L.A. and Orange County rat race.
Being an hour or so north of all that mess, there's a lot more open space here, much more common decency, and overall a general mutual respect amongst people.

And yes georgie, I recall your great story about organizing the 40th anniversary - in fact it's all in the thread link posted above by Irix. thumbs up

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: August 9, 2020 04:24

Wow. From back in the day when the Stones were seen as dangerous in comparison to the Beatles. No wonder we dug 'em so much back then and still hang around. Maybe danger still lurks in that ever elusive new album and subsequent (maybe) tour.

Date: August 9, 2020 10:05

Hairball
georgie48

Nice shot, Hairball.

Crazy days georgie and that's quite warm...sounds like a typical Southern California summer scene down in the crowded L.A. and Orange County rat race.
Being an hour or so north of all that mess, there's a lot more open space here, much more common decency, and overall a general mutual respect amongst people.

And yes georgie, I recall your great story about organizing the 40th anniversary - in fact it's all in the thread link posted above by Irix. thumbs up

It's good that you can stay away from the chaos whenever you want to. And then it's a revelation to see that there are still plenty of people using common sense and intelligence winking smiley
I checked Irix link and realized, aaaah, it was all there ...
My wife and I were just doing our routine bicycle trip and while I was behind her I noticed she had that Kurhaus T-shirt on that included the date of August 8. Pure coinsidence, but it brought back all those memories in a flash of a second, so I mentioned it on IORR.
Thanks anyway to Irix and I promise to wait to 2024 before touching the subject again grinning smiley
smileys with beer

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: August 9, 2020 10:58

I was invited for a Dutch treat date. Seeing as the subject is Dutch, can someone give me some tips? Will it include third base at least? I am always interested in hearing about other culture's traditions.

thanks again
jb

Date: August 9, 2020 12:54

jbwelda
I was invited for a Dutch treat date. Seeing as the subject is Dutch, can someone give me some tips? Will it include third base at least? I am always interested in hearing about other culture's traditions.

thanks again
jb

The meaning of "Dutch treat" is, that everyone participating (in whatever) is paying for him/herself. Over the time of history the word "Dutch" has received some (not always positive) meanings, like Double Dutch, Dutch Uncle and Dutch Courage. All those Dutch global discoverers were making an impact for sure confused smiley
So, jbwelda, don't forget to take your filled purse along grinning smiley

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: August 9, 2020 18:24

Thank you Georgie, will keep that in mind.

Didn't Elvis Costello sing something about double Dutch with a real double Dutchess? What the heck was that about?

PS: man Altamont didn't have anything on that concert in 64.

jb

Date: August 9, 2020 19:29

jbwelda
Thank you Georgie, will keep that in mind.

Didn't Elvis Costello sing something about double Dutch with a real double Dutchess? What the heck was that about?

PS: man Altamont didn't have anything on that concert in 64.

jb

MisterDDDD added a link with a compilation of live shots from the concert. There is another 10 minutes recording apparently made by a (in those days) pirate TV station (named Tros). I was able to borrow it for the 2004 Anniversary, but don't own it. The chaos was front page news on the Monday following that notorious Sunday. From then on nobody in the Netherlands could say "they never heard of The Rolling Stones" grinning smiley
These days there are different explanations for Double Dutch. Originally it meant "rubbish" in someone talking rubbish or nonsense. I think Elvis Costello's song could be about "a double Dutches" making sure she's (double) safe while having "fun", but I'm not sure. It's playing with words, but as such not linked to Dutch ladies, I think winking smiley

Posted by: tioms ()
Date: August 9, 2020 21:54

After Love you Live was released there was a Rolling Stones Fanclub day in the Kurhaus organized by Sxxxk Jxxxxxxxa (at that time the president of the Dutch fanclub). And at that day they played 2 times the ""compleet!!!"" concert.It was at the end of 1977. After that I only have seen fragments or incompleet pieces of the film.

Date: August 9, 2020 22:43

tioms
After Love you Live was released there was a Rolling Stones Fanclub day in the Kurhaus organized by Sxxxk Jxxxxxxxa (at that time the president of the Dutch fanclub). And at that day they played 2 times the ""compleet!!!"" concert.It was at the end of 1977. After that I only have seen fragments or incompleet pieces of the film.

Hi tioms, that's really interesting, but I hope you realize that the "complete" concert (but in reality less than half, because a setlist of 10 and finishing halfway song no. 5) is maybe 12 minutes. The live songs are on CD, one part contains four songs an one part one song. Add up the time and you will end up with roughly 12 minutes.
I know SJ well, so I can ask him. Maybe he recorded it all himself and kept the result for himself and only showed it on that special 1977 occasion. That would be really very interesting. But maybe he also just showed that "Tros recording" that I mentioned.
Thanks for the hint!

Posted by: RnT ()
Date: August 10, 2020 02:05

I was living about half a mile from the Kurhaus when the Stones played there. I was two years old. Became a fan ten years later and somehow the knowledge of the Kurhaus concert made me feel even more connected to them. Still does. Even spent my wedding night at the Kurhaus hotel. They've still got some great pictures of the concert in the basement room.
RnT

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1960
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home