Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: 45 Years Ago Tonight -- My First Stones Show at the Cow Palace in San Francisco
Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: July 20, 2020 18:02

swimtothemoon
Hi Plexi. Thanks for sharing your story - pretty wild. My first Stones show was
a bit of a fiasco also. This was on July 8th in 1978 at Soldier Field in Chicago.
My friend and I left early, must have been six in the morning, but had a flat tire
on the tollway. This would have been only a small delay but my spare tire was unusable. My friend went to get help, which was only a short distance away. Unfortunately he turned the wrong way and walked for miles. We finally made it
just after the first band started and ended up at the far end of the stadium.
As I remember the first band started around noon. Great show and a good story to
tell. Although not as good as your story - wow! By the way thanks for posting the
photos - some great shots. —Tom

Hey Tom, we need to catch up. So where was that show you speak of, Soldier Field?

plexi

Re: 45 Years Ago Tonight -- My First Stones Show at the Cow Palace in San Francisco
Date: July 20, 2020 18:06

DeadHead4Ever
The 15th was my first Stones show. Best $15 bucks I ever spent!

The face on the Cow Palace tickets was $8.50, but I paid $25 to the photographer who took some of the fotos which I posted in my old thread I linked above, and can remember a friend down the block saying "I heard you paid through the nose for Stones tickets." Little did we know.

plexi

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-20 18:07 by timbernardis.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: July 20, 2020 19:21

>Was Stanley Mouse part of the Haight Ashbury scene?

In a word, yes. He was one of the Avalon/Fillmore etc poster artists, and became the primary GD album cover artist. You can see him in many films on the era, and he is kind of famous for getting his pic taken with Lennon and Ono at the "bed in". He was a hot rod t shirt painter rivaling Ed Roth prior to moving out west and being a foundation hippie. When I met him at the Teenage Fair, I could not believe it was him: went from a buzzcut midwest greaser looking guy to someone with hair to his ass and a big beard. This was in 65 or so when that just wasn't something you see every day, unless you lived in North Beach or the Haight. He has two or three great hardback books out if you are interested in checking out his transition from hot rod artist to stone cold hippie. His "California Dreams" is particularly good.

By the way, right about now the "delta breeze" is the delta hurricane. Its the nice thing about out here, we cool off way before Suckto thirty miles away does. When I first moved out here my long time friend here told me: one thing you will hate is the wind. The only thing you will hate worse is when the wind stops. I actually love the wind as long as its below 25mph or so; above that it gets kind of annoying.

jb

Date: July 21, 2020 04:44

jbwelda
>Was Stanley Mouse part of the Haight Ashbury scene?

In a word, yes. He was one of the Avalon/Fillmore etc poster artists, and became the primary GD album cover artist. You can see him in many films on the era, and he is kind of famous for getting his pic taken with Lennon and Ono at the "bed in". He was a hot rod t shirt painter rivaling Ed Roth prior to moving out west and being a foundation hippie. When I met him at the Teenage Fair, I could not believe it was him: went from a buzzcut midwest greaser looking guy to someone with hair to his ass and a big beard. This was in 65 or so when that just wasn't something you see every day, unless you lived in North Beach or the Haight. He has two or three great hardback books out if you are interested in checking out his transition from hot rod artist to stone cold hippie. His "California Dreams" is particularly good.

By the way, right about now the "delta breeze" is the delta hurricane. Its the nice thing about out here, we cool off way before Suckto thirty miles away does. When I first moved out here my long time friend here told me: one thing you will hate is the wind. The only thing you will hate worse is when the wind stops. I actually love the wind as long as its below 25mph or so; above that it gets kind of annoying.

jb

Is he still alive?

First time I've ever heard Sacramento called Suckto and I grew up there. I've heard Sactown, Sacratomato, Sacrificialmento, Sagamenna. How new is that?

Say, have you ever heard of Chan McLauglin?

plexi

Date: July 21, 2020 06:20

Stan is alive but not in the best of health. He had to have a liver transplant from breathing paint fumes (believe it or not, he doesn't and hardly ever took drugs) in the late 80s I think it was, and I think that might be coming back to haunt him. He lives in the Napa area of N. California and has open houses at his work space from time to time.

I have been calling it Suckto for a long time, as far as I know its an original so you have my permission to use it! Chan McLauglin, don't know anyone by that name, who is he, a Sacto local?

I have spent most of my time in Sacramento living in the midtown/McKinley Park area, on and off since 1970 or so, after living out in the 'burbs from the time
our family moved here in 64. Saw a lot of changes there; now the first thing I think when I go there is "how long do I have to stay here?" and "whats the quickest way back to the Delta?"

But its a dry heat.

jb

Posted by: DeadHead4Ever ()
Date: July 21, 2020 07:22

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-21 07:29 by DeadHead4Ever.

Date: July 22, 2020 03:53

jbwelda
Stan is alive but not in the best of health. He had to have a liver transplant from breathing paint fumes (believe it or not, he doesn't and hardly ever took drugs) in the late 80s I think it was, and I think that might be coming back to haunt him. He lives in the Napa area of N. California and has open houses at his work space from time to time.

I have been calling it Suckto for a long time, as far as I know its an original so you have my permission to use it! Chan McLauglin, don't know anyone by that name, who is he, a Sacto local?

I have spent most of my time in Sacramento living in the midtown/McKinley Park area, on and off since 1970 or so, after living out in the 'burbs from the time
our family moved here in 64. Saw a lot of changes there; now the first thing I think when I go there is "how long do I have to stay here?" and "whats the quickest way back to the Delta?"

But its a dry heat.

jb

Yes, it's dry, could you imagine living anywhere east of the Mississippi where the humidity is just oppressive?

Thanks for the permission, tho I don't know that I'll use it.

Chan McLaughlin is the real name of TRAVUS T. HIPP!!! Do you remember him and his talk show on KZAP, anarchist and what not. Prior to that, he was in SF during its heyday with Tom Donahue and KSAN (?). He moved to Nevada (Silver City I think) years ago and still had a radio show but he died about 5 to 7 years ago.

What about Mick Martin, do you know who he is? Sacramento legend, musician, movie critic, radio DJ with his own blues show on Capital Public Radio.

McKinley Park, I grew up very near there, on 42nd between J and M. Now they call it the "Fabulous Forties" but that is recent, didn't exist when I was a kid. My brother lives on 36th and H.

plexi

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-22 03:53 by timbernardis.

Date: July 22, 2020 04:06

yeah man, travis t hipp, I remember him on KZAP. And have known Mick Martin for years and a lot of his cronies. A lot of them from back when my friends Keith and Donny had MarKee records on tenth street. Used to hang out there a bit. Fabulous forties, I lived in the not so fabulous 30s!

Sacramento has lost what it didn't know it had, unfortunately. Now its a serious San Francisco wannabe. But taken on its own level its always been a nice place to live. I just tried to avoid the suburbs.

jb

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1253
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home