Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: RIP Charlie Daniels
Posted by: Crackinup ()
Date: July 6, 2020 20:43

Singer-songwriter and multi-instrumentalist Charlie Daniels, who played bass and guitar on Bob Dylan’s 1969 Nashville Skyline LP and would soon go on to pioneer the burgeoning Southern rock movement with his namesake Charlie Daniels Band, has died at 83. His publicist confirmed Daniels’ death from a hemorrhagic stroke to Rolling Stone.

With his fiery fiddle at the forefront of much of his recorded output, the leader of the Charlie Daniels Band paved the way for the mainstream country-rock success of that group and others, including Alabama and Lynyrd Skynyrd, and crossed over into the pop charts with his best-known song, 1979’s Grammy-winning “The Devil Went Down to Georgia.” A country chart-topper about a fiddle contest between a boy named Johnny and Satan, the song also spent a pair of weeks at Number Three on Billboard‘s Hot 100.

[www.rollingstone.com]

Re: OT: RIP Charlie Daniels
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 6, 2020 21:05

"'Cause I get stoned in the morning,
I get drunk in the afternoon..."

“I’ll give you a little breakdown of our band. We played with the Rolling Stones years ago in Memphis, Tennessee, in the afternoon,
and flew down to Austin, Texas, that night and worked the Willie Nelson picnic.”
- C.D.

> RIP Charlie

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-06 21:10 by Hairball.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: July 6, 2020 23:17

RIP

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: July 6, 2020 23:31

RIP, Mister Daniels. You made and played on some very good music. On a side note, I think the Allman Brothers Band had more to do with the emergence of the Southern rock scene/genre, but that's a story for another day.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: July 7, 2020 02:26

A class act.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: July 7, 2020 02:58

Devil went down to Georgia-

Charlie Daniels went to Heaven.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: July 7, 2020 03:36

Everyone thinks of him as a fiddle player but was a phenomenal guitar player.

Posted by: SKILLS ()
Date: July 7, 2020 04:41

He was super influential in the reemergence of Lynyrd Skynyrd after the Crash, the Volunteer Jams especially

RIP Charlie Daniels
Posted by: Koen ()
Date: July 6, 2020 20:42

The devil went to Georgia, but Charlie went to heaven.

Re: RIP Charlie Daniels
Posted by: StonedAsiaExile ()
Date: July 7, 2020 06:00

Koen
The devil went to Georgia, but Charlie went to heaven.

Oh no!! I loved Charlie, a fellow Tarheel like myself. My high school English Lit teacher grew up with Charlie, dated him in high school herself and almost married, apparently but she wanted to stay close to home and the rest is history.

He was back in town in the 70s and gave her a call to catch up. Long story short, she got me in to meet him and a pair of tix for his concert.

Awesome guy, down to earth and talented out the wazoo.

He will be missed.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: July 7, 2020 12:45

Wow. Sad. RIP

Rod

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: July 7, 2020 13:19

Yesterday I seen this on the evening news and it made me very sad . I then thought of all the good times and fun we had going to see Charlie live . Charlie Daniels in the late 70's into the 80's was a staple of summer shed shows and everybody and there brother and sister would always go and we would have a blast singing along . I met Charlie a long time ago when he was signing albums at a long ago defunct record store by the name of Just A Song , and a nicer gentleman could not be found , how he took the time to ask your name and shake your hand and autograph the double live album that was from the Volunteer Jam . Also I would be remiss in not mentioning how good of a guitarist he was playing a vintage 59 Sunburst Les Paul and he sure could rock it and make it roll !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! R.I.P. Charlie Daniels One more detail was he was a in demand studio session guitarist before he burst on to the scene and played on countless artist albums , such as Bob Dylan and Johnny Cash the Man in Black himself !

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: July 7, 2020 15:53

Regarding Dylan, he credits him for his big break and appreciated it so much even late in his career he recorded an entire album of Dylan covers.

The story supposedly goes, I think it was the Nashville Skyline album, the session guitarist who was supposed to be there couldn't make it, the producer told Dylan he knew someone else he may like and called Daniels. It was supposed to be for only 1 song, when they completed it Daniels was packing up his guitar and Dylan looked at the producer and said "where's he going?". After explaining he was only booked for 1 song, Dylan said "but I want him on the whole album", which Daniels was happy to do and a career was started.

Posted by: exil ()
Date: July 8, 2020 11:49

He Could Rip It Up On Guitar.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1249
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home