Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
why mick jagger did not solo tour in 1985?
Posted by: gustavobala ()
Date: June 17, 2020 23:20

why mick jagger did not solo tour in 1985?

Re: why mick jagger did not solo tour in 1985?
Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: June 17, 2020 23:32

Because he had a lick of sense?

Just guessing.

jb

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: June 18, 2020 00:10

1985 was before the Mega tours when hundreds of millions would be made. 1985 was the height of Michael Jackson and MTV videos mania.I don’t think even the Stones would have made as much as they made later on .And certainly a band with Jeff Beck and others wouldn’t bring that kind of money Jagger made with the Stones starting in 1989.People wanted dance music in 1985 ,not Beck guitar solos.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-06-18 00:12 by Taylor1.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: June 18, 2020 00:17

For a start there was no time, they had to get back together to record DW that CBS had signed up for in 1983 with a $25 million contract (if memory serves). Besides how do you think Keith would have reacted, it was bad enough between them as it was !

I suppose he could have toured in 1984 if he'd finished the album earlier, the same thing happened in 1993 with WS that Ahmet Ertegun had him redo a couple of times (according to Philippe Manoeuvre in R&F). That's why the Webster Hall concert happened, to sort of "make up" for the lack of a tour.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: roller99 ()
Date: June 18, 2020 00:37

People would have stayed home in droves! I always like to joke that if Mick Jagger put out a "greatest hits", it would be a 45 at best.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: June 18, 2020 01:04

roller99
People would have stayed home in droves! I always like to joke that if Mick Jagger put out a "greatest hits", it would be a 45 at best.
Not really.He has about 10 solosongs as good as anything Keith has on Stones’ albums in the last 30 years

Posted by: iraq0708 ()
Date: June 18, 2020 01:04

He has put out a greatest hits...

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 18, 2020 01:18

.... he was too busy dancin' in the street with David ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: June 18, 2020 13:36

He hadn't learned to dance "The Horrendous".

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: June 18, 2020 13:46

I still haven't figured out why he went solo at all. Maybe it was flatter, flatter, flatter, piled up on a platter?

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: June 18, 2020 15:01

Taylor1
1985 was before the Mega tours when hundreds of millions would be made. 1985 was the height of Michael Jackson and MTV videos mania.I don’t think even the Stones would have made as much as they made later on .And certainly a band with Jeff Beck and others wouldn’t bring that kind of money Jagger made with the Stones starting in 1989.People wanted dance music in 1985 ,not Beck guitar solos.

thumbs up

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: June 18, 2020 15:05

roller99

You're right!! A 45 with "Don't tear me up" and "Blue".

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: June 19, 2020 13:31

Seriously ?

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: June 19, 2020 15:06

Taylor1

The Jacksons 'Victory' tour in 1984 grossed $75 million in 55 shows. ($200 million in today's money)

Springsteen's 'Born in the usa' tour over 1984-85 grossed $90 million over 156 shows, with ticket prices a fraction of what the Jacksons were charging.

The Stones' previous tour in 1981-82 grossed close to those figures. Steel Wheels grossed $175 million in 1989/90 .

Safe to say a Stones world tour in the mid-80's would have grossed at least $100 million - but a solo tour wouldnt have meant Mick trousering a fifth of the split.

Of course, the ticket demand would have been incomparable for a solo tour behind a solo album with mediocre sales.

I dont think a tour was ever on the cards regardless of how well the album did. Sessions for 'Dirty Work' had already started before 'She's The Boss' was released.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: June 19, 2020 15:15

Gazza
Taylor1

I dont think a tour was ever on the cards regardless of how well the album did. Sessions for 'Dirty Work' had already started before 'She's The Boss' was released.

I think you are right there. 1988 was a different story altogether winking smiley

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 19, 2020 16:26

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-06-19 16:27 by treaclefingers.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 19, 2020 16:29

Rockman
.... he was too busy dancin' in the street with David ...

I would have thought he could have toured on the strength of the hit single "Ruthless People".

Posted by: slane82 ()
Date: June 19, 2020 16:54

I didn't buy She's the Boss (just remember the MTV videos), but I like Jeff Beck's Flash (released later that year). I played Get Workin the other day:

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 19, 2020 23:17

gotdablouse
For a start there was no time, they had to get back together to record DW that CBS had signed up for in 1983 with a $25 million contract (if memory serves). Besides how do you think Keith would have reacted, it was bad enough between them as it was !

I suppose he could have toured in 1984 if he'd finished the album earlier, the same thing happened in 1993 with WS that Ahmet Ertegun had him redo a couple of times (according to Philippe Manoeuvre in R&F). That's why the Webster Hall concert happened, to sort of "make up" for the lack of a tour.

You're right!

It goes back to 1983 in a sense (and of course the disaster of an album that they started in 1985). Mick talked about that time.

Mick Jagger (September 1983): A Rolling Stones tour?
No one seems to be doing anything very innovative in stadium shows. I've seen David Bowie, I've seen Talking Heads and the Police, and I mean, is that all there really is?... I don't know whether the Stones are gonna go on the road next year or not. We're gonna sit down and talk about that in the next few weeks. I mean, CHARLIE obviously doesn't want to go on tour. But yeah, I love it. It's kind of in my blood.

Mid-August 1983: The Rolling Stones gather in New York City, where they sign a new four-album deal
with CBS Records for a record $28 million, with Mick Jagger also signing a side deal for a solo album.

Mick Jagger (1983): The CBS deal
I think the CBS offer was based on the performance of our last three studio albums (Some Girls, Emotional Rescue, Tattoo You). I think CBS figures they can sell more records than anybody, so if our next three sell the same as the last three, they're gonna make money.

Mick Jagger (1983): A solo album
I could do all kinds of things. I could go very commercial - very, VERY commercial American pop. Or I could go for just ordinary, straight rock and roll, in an English way. Or I could mix it up: some very, you know, some HITS, and some things that are a bit more experimental, outside of this kind of mainstream rock. You could do some interesting things in that area. I have a lot of stuff. I think I'm gonna do it relatively soon.

[timeisonourside.com]

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 20, 2020 05:21

Stoneage
I still haven't figured out why he went solo at all. Maybe it was flatter, flatter, flatter, piled up on a platter?

Tired of Keith? Tired of being with the others? Tired of not having a separate identity? Thought his songs were good enough to break through on their own? The last Stones album, Undercover, was a big disappointment, except for Undercover of the Night. Maybe he felt they were heading downhill. If Dirty Work is any indication, they were.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: June 20, 2020 05:47

Stoneage

I recall at the time reading how Mick wanted to see if he was just as popular out on his own, similar to his peer group: Elton, Rod, Paul, etc.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 20, 2020 07:24

DGA35
Stoneage

I recall at the time reading how Mick wanted to see if he was just as popular out on his own, similar to his peer group: Elton, Rod, Paul, etc.

...and also the likes of younger artists like Michael Jackson....remember he was collaborating with the Jacksons just prior to his first solo album.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-06-20 07:25 by Hairball.

Date: June 21, 2020 22:32

Mick's album came out in February, probably not a great time to release an album. At that point the Stones were already working on demos and rehearsals. By April they started to record the album and finished those sessions by mid-June.

Then they all scattered for a bit, there was Dancing In The Streets and Live Aid... then they continue to work on the disaster again in mid-July through mid-August, shoot the album cover, take a break... then mix the mess in September through October.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: June 21, 2020 22:40

'Mixed Emotions'
I think Mick spent a lot of the 80s figuring out what he really wanted to do. He could have had a solo career but didn't give it his all and he wanted to tour and be a Rolling Stone but not with the same old Keith. Remember Keith gave up heroin but replaced it with Jack and coke, which was probably even less fun to be around.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: June 21, 2020 22:41

Because...he didn't want to.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: June 21, 2020 22:53

Why he didn't tour after releasing the album? Shamefacing obviously

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: June 22, 2020 13:09

Stoneage

yes....predominantly from Walter Yetnikoff, who envisaged him having massive solo success (like Michael Jackson) that would outlast the band that had made him famous.

At that time, it was generally accepted that the Stones didn't have a lot of years left as a band. Groups consisting of guys in their 40's were considered geriatric in rock terms.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-06-22 13:10 by Gazza.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: June 22, 2020 15:49

Gazza
Stoneage

yes....predominantly from Walter Yetnikoff, who envisaged him having massive solo success (like Michael Jackson) that would outlast the band that had made him famous.

Yup W.Y. signed the band to CBS for one reason only : "separating the wheat [Jagger] from the chaff" (the 4 others). Jagger is 100% guilty of believing the Yetnikoff's sweet talk who told him he'd become hyper-famous provided he'd get rid of his "old" band.

Date: June 22, 2020 19:42

dcba
Gazza
Stoneage

Yup W.Y. signed the band to CBS for one reason only : "separating the wheat [Jagger] from the chaff" (the 4 others). Jagger is 100% guilty of believing the Yetnikoff's sweet talk who told him he'd become hyper-famous provided he'd get rid of his "old" band.

Also... the want to "compete" with MJ and Madonna and Duran Duran etc... all of who were much more attractive - MTV fodder, magazines - than Mick, was ignorant arrogance.

Date: June 23, 2020 04:49

There's an aspect that perhaps no one has considered: what would he have played for a 1985 tour?

His 1988 PRIMITIVE COOL Asian "tour" (a grand total of 3 venues) this was his set list:

Honky Tonk Women/Throwaway/Bitch/Let’s Spend The Night Together/
Lonely At The Top/Beast Of Burden/Tumbling Dice/Miss You/Ruby
Tuesday/Just Another Night/War Baby/Harlem Shuffle/Lucky In Love/
Say You Will/Party Doll
/Band introduction/You Can’t Always Get What
You Want/Radio Control/Shoot Off Your Mouth/Gimme Shelter/Start Me
Up/Brown Sugar/It’s Only Rock’n Roll/Jumping Jack Flash/Satisfaction/
Sympathy For The Devil

Nothing about that set list says I'M A SOLO ACT. It's a Stones set peppered with some solo songs. His shows from a little later that year weren't much different (Keith's 1988 tour featured only 5 Stones songs, with three of them being actual Stones songs, and only 4 on the 1993 tour, the majority of both tours being... a solo artist).

A grand total of three tracks from SHE'S THE BOSS. That says something.

From PC he did 6, two of them the rifuckingdiculous War Baby and Party Doll (what a waste of time that must've been to hear live).

It makes sense why Keith said what he said about Mick's tour. His grumpiness aside, he was right. Of course what's funny is that Mick's set list pretty much summed up the STEEL WHEELS/URBAN JUNGLE set lists, seeing that he included One Hit later in 1988 (and CYHMK, which of course, didn't happen until much much later).

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1406
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home