Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Rarities CD At Starbucks ?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 27, 2005 01:24

Is there no end to these guys whoring themselves out ? For gods sakes. This isn't a rock band anymore it is a @#$%& three ring circus .Old time carnival hustlers looking for the suckers to steal there money .

Re: Rarities CD At Starbucks ?
Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: October 27, 2005 01:53

how much is it at starbuck's? i'll take 3 please.

Posted by: marston ()
Date: October 27, 2005 05:02

No need to complain, you know you will buy it!!!!!!!!

Greg

"thank you Jesus, thank you LORD!"

Posted by: johang ()
Date: October 27, 2005 05:13

They have to try to have some suckers buy it.

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: October 27, 2005 05:55

Hey, quit complaining, it's better than the coffee.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: October 27, 2005 10:54

What's wrongt with Starbucks? Just another retail store. I buy coffee there all the time. So if you buy your CD on internet or in a store or in a coffee store does it really matter? This is 2005. 25% or so of some CD's are sold by Starbucks when they pick a title. It would be foolish of the Stones not to use a good demand channel. And they did not do the stupid exclusive deal Bob Dylan did with Starbucks, so the chains should not be upset by this.

Bjornulf

Posted by: Rank Outsider ()
Date: October 27, 2005 11:04

Don't forget the about the real stupid deal the Stones made in the US and Canada with Best Buy on exclusive rights to Four Flicks.

Posted by: Limbostone ()
Date: October 27, 2005 11:19

I will buy the rarities cd because I like the tracklist. The deal will probably help lower the price.

Starbucks always makes me think of this little anecdote:

I walked about a small authentic town in Tuscany the other year, when a group of American youngsters passed by, and they were whining about the town and it's appearant lack of 'civilisation'. One of them exclaimed: "What kind of town do they think they're running? There isn't even a Starbucks around here!"

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: October 27, 2005 11:20

Rank Outsider Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Don't forget the about the real stupid deal the
> Stones made in the US and Canada with Best Buy on
> exclusive rights to Four Flicks.

Yes, but this is a non-exclusive deal.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: October 27, 2005 11:54

Lapetomane Wrote:
> Is there no end to these guys whoring themselves
> out ? For gods sakes. This isn't a rock band
> anymore it is a @#$%& three ring circus .Old time
> carnival hustlers looking for the suckers to steal
> there money .

Who gives. I'd still buy it if it was The Third Reich selling it.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: The Stones ()
Date: October 27, 2005 11:55

I think it's a pretty cool deal and a proof of the Stones being a modern rock'n'roll band. I just love the idea of ordering my usual decaf at Starbucks and being able to buy the Rarities CD at the same time.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: October 27, 2005 12:11

the Rolling Stones: "paragons of capitalism & decadence" -
Chet Flippo wrote that in 79, and they'd already been that for ages and ages.
they have *never* been shy about makin money - it's one of their many great talents,
and part of what defines them - and all kinds of joy & blessings on 'em.

"Yeah we copped out - but we did it for the bread, so it's okay."
- Keith, 1968, re the Beggars Banquet cover

- 1977, by Andy Warhol

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: October 27, 2005 15:22

Lapetomane Wrote:
> there money .

What on earth are you getting your knickers in a twist about, I genuinely do not understand. It's just a place at the end of the day ........ where you can buy the CD. Call it what you like, a shop, a store ... whatever ? It just happens to be one that is better known for selling shite coffee. So, if you're like me and you want the CD and not the shite coffee, then walk in the bloody door, slap your money down, take the CD, say thank you, and walk out. Why the uproar, I don't get it ??? Would it make any difference to you if they sold it through Amazon online, HMV, Tower Records, or your favourite franchised Pizza Parlour ? Try being a little less pious and a little more commercially aware, or failing that - try growing up !

Posted by: Pecman ()
Date: October 27, 2005 15:28

I'll take a donut, a buttered roll, a large coffee and one of them Stones CD's you got there behind the counter.

Have a nice day.

PECMAN

Posted by: R ()
Date: October 27, 2005 16:11

" Is there no end to these guys whoring themselves out ? For gods sakes."

LOL. I take it you didn't see the full page, full color ad in yesterday's USA Today? Our heros are now shilling for Mercedes Benz. It was still rather odd to see them posed around a new car. Attendees at "select" Bigger Bang shows will see said car on display and can enter to win an autographed Rolling Stones edition of this most upscale vehicle.

Posted by: orange cow ()
Date: October 27, 2005 16:16

with the record stores closing. The internet.
and radio stations changing thier formats
The Stones are just finding other ways to promote themselves.

Date: October 27, 2005 16:30

Either this site is full of socalled communists or i-want-a-different-life kind of people. Nothing wrong with communists. But some seems to think an adveritisement is bad. Should the Stones be like Mother Teresa. Or the Pope? dedicate their lives into working for the poor people in Africa? Wouldn't that be great? So the Stones could do something more meaningful than singing about the devil and smoking on stage and playing music in front of spoiled rich people who complain about set lists and advertising?

We live in a commercial world. The Mercedes ads are sponsoring the tour so that you save 10 dollars on the ticket price. Would you rather pay 10 dollars more for the ticket? I don't really care if they run the Mercedes ad on the screen when the show is over. Or if the newspaper have a full-page ad with the Stones all over a Mercedes. Or if they play at the Superbowl.

One day I might sell everything I own and go to Africa to help starving people. may be. But until then I am just part of this big western party called capitalism, where everybody is paid by money and not by wisdom, and we all take that money to trade it into something we want or need, like food, concert tickets, holidays, newspapers and all sorts of other modern waste things.

The Stones are just part of the modern world. You may scream stop the world please let me off. But the Stones are part of it. Don't expect them to quit yet.

Bjornulf

Posted by: Pussy Whips ()
Date: October 27, 2005 16:31

CD to go thanks!

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 27, 2005 17:44

Lapetomane Wrote:
> there money .

What does it matter whether they sell it at Starbucks, HMV, the local greengrocers or even Uncle Sid's Dirty Bookshop?

it's still the same CD and its available to everyone

If theyd sold it at just one outlet with a ridiculous price tag, maybe I could see the problem, but whats the big deal about releasing something and making it available in as many outlets as possible?

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: October 27, 2005 19:35

Funny how the decadent people from back then think's it's somewhat decadent to make an exclusive deal with a big company today, if you catch my drift. grinning smiley

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Pussy Whips ()
Date: October 27, 2005 19:46

Exactly.Who gives a Fucck where you buy it.If you don't want,it don't buy it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-10-27 21:34 by Pussy Whips.

Posted by: thkbeercan ()
Date: October 27, 2005 21:27

the rolling stones are an incorporated commercial enterprise...
virgin records is an incorporated commercial enterprise...
starbucks is an incorporated commercial enterprise...

believe me, the brainchild for this deal did not come from the rolling stones..
"Rarities" is a worldwide release and was not planned with Starbucks in mind...

Of course, it benefits Starbucks to make people 'think' this is their special deal, but of course, it is not...any retailer can sell this item. In fact, ALL music retailers throughout the world will sell this item. It is important for Virgin that Starbucks has agreed to take it, since they sell so few CD's at all. It is another sales avenue for Virgin to exploit in a world of ever shrinking retail possibilities, and Starbucks likes the publicity....

the HEAR MUSIC chain was merged with starbucks a few years ago and there is someone there who is paid to work on ideas for marketing. that person, being in touch with people from EMI/Virgin on a regualr basis, found out about a Stones release and seized upon it as a promotion possibility. OR, vice versa, someone at Virgin contacted Starbucks and asked if they would 'take' the Stones release as a promotional special for the month of November 2005 (or whatever time period you want for argument's sake).

In the music biz, the way things like this works is:

1) a retailer gets an "ad allowance" ($$) to take a specific number of CD's (thousands) to sell, promote , display, advertise a certain release.

2) at the end of the promotional period, the retailer returns items which remain unsold for full credit, but does not have to pay back any of the ad dollars they were given by the label (in this case Virgin).

3) Starbucks makes money on this deal even if they sell NO copies of the disc, since the ad dollars stay in their pocket. They also benefit because of the short burst of publicity prior to the release. I even heard a blurb on CNN radio news last night. (The public awareness of this 'news' will disappear like cashews at a cocktail party when the chickens come home to roost at the White House this week, but that's for another blog...)

4) people at Virgin will be praying that Starbucks sells some of these discs, since the money Virgin spent on the Stones' distribution deal has not been 'justified' yet and they are desperately trying to cover their asses before the distribution deal runs out and are no longer able to sell ANY Stones material. Why else has the market been flooded with unnecessary items like 'Made In The Shade" and "Jump Back"? Because the Stones fan can't get enough greatest hits packages? We think not...

The Stones have ALWAYS sold lots of concert tickets and NEVER sold lots of albums. You want to talk album sales, talk to Michael Jackson or Led Zeppelin.

Starbucks' target customer is a middle-aged, middle class woman. No problem so far...But the idea that these ladies will buy this CD of 'oddities' with the same fervor that they order their latte's seems half-baked. Only the most rabid Stones fan would be interested in this release, and even amongst ourselves there is divided opinion as to whether it is worth it or not. And how many of us will buy this disc at Starbucks? Not many...In fact, a Starbucks promotion for "Jump Back" would have made more sense and probably sold more CD's.

As my good friend Lester Bangs once said, the Stones are "the smelliest farts of them all" Ian Stewart called them "3 chord wonders" and "my little sacks of shit". All in good fun, yes?

IMHO, no one at Starbucks got near the Stones themselves or their vaults to offer suggestions about this CD, as the publicity has hyped. And if they did, what were they smoking to come up with this weird track listing? Give me a break!

I can not stop laughing when I say this, but the Stones ARE whores, however they are not 'cheap' whores. In fact, they are pretty good f**ks, which is why we keep writing about them, reading about them, and listening to their beautiful music.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: October 27, 2005 21:47

Starbucks is just so... lame.

cc

Date: October 27, 2005 22:05

Excuse me but I drink 5-10 cups of coffee every day. I mean real coffee. Not Nescafe or substitutes. If I did not have Starbucks in USA or Tim Horton's in Canada I am not sure if I would survive the tour.

Bjornulf

Posted by: cc ()
Date: October 27, 2005 22:11

There's always an alternative to Starbucks, usually with better coffee. When the tour resumes, go to [www.delocator.net] to find one. Going to Starbucks is like listening to Dave Matthews.

cc

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: October 27, 2005 22:15

>> I can not stop laughing when I say this, but the Stones ARE whores, however they are not 'cheap' whores.
In fact, they are pretty good f**ks, which is why we keep writing about them, reading about them, and listening to their beautiful music. <<

:E ~*YEAH!*~ :E
thanks for that, thkbeercan

"What do you want - what?!"
- Keith

Posted by: Limbostone ()
Date: October 27, 2005 22:17

bv Wrote:
> Excuse me but I drink 5-10 cups of coffee every
> day. I mean real coffee. Not Nescafe or
> substitutes. If I did not have Starbucks in USA
> or Tim Horton's in Canada I am not sure if I would
> survive the tour.
>
> Bjornulf

Wellcome to the league of addicts!

As to the definition of real coffee: check out this site and you'll laugh your a** off! [www.ihatestarbucks.com]
Appearantly, not everyone is happy with them! To start a sit just for that! A friend pointed it out to me. He hates coffee in general. I wonder why we're friends...!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-10-27 22:18 by Limbostone.

Posted by: stonesmusicfan ()
Date: October 27, 2005 23:10

I don't quite understand the Beach Boys selection but their "Artists Choice" cd alone gets high marks for exposing Starbucked customers to the likes of Muddy Waters, James Brown,Eddie Cochran, Little Richard and the Isley Bros. !

Posted by: Debra ()
Date: October 28, 2005 02:23

So What's wrong with an alliance with Starbucks!? As others have said, they've partnered with Mercedes, Ameriquest, Jovan, and lots of other companies! And how about Dylan selling his cd at VICTORIA'S SECRET! I bought it there! BIG DEAL! As BV said, this is a society based on the buck and the Stones have wisely hired folks that FINALLY have taught them HOW to make $. For years, under the thief Allen Klein, they made so little money it was pathetic and WRONG! It's no wonder that now they want to earn a greay paycheck; the only thing I object to, alot, are $450 priced tickets! The rest I think is fine.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 28, 2005 02:29

As usual some or most of you have missed the point of this post. The bottom line for me is these guys will sell there mother for a dime. That is what really bothers me about them . Should they make money. Of course . Should they keep keep putting out the same things over and over again and expect people to buy it ? Lets see we have Starbucks selling a cd for them .Songs which are already available to most people. We got Four Flicks and Forty Licks(Hmmmm I think I heard most of thos songs on other Cd's) They put out a new CD that not even 300,00o people bought. Then have the gall to ask for $450 to see them play another Licks tour with a couple of new tunes . And before any of you @#$%& out there start your crap about "Well if you don't like it don't buy it". I won't . You can be a bitch for these guy but I won't . They go home with your cash. You go home just feeling like you be @#$%& by an elephant. Minus about a Thousand bucks if you take a date. So go on suckers. Pony up.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1682
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home