Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT: BTO Revisited
Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: June 17, 2020 06:56

roller99
Great to see BTO showing up here on IORR. I have some great stories about Randy and Burton. Burton as it turns out, was Ernie Cefalu's closest friend for over 30 years. Between 2015 and 2018, the three of us used to hang out at Ernie's place, doing a live broadcast on FB. I first met Randy in 1986, funnily enough, my stepfather managed The Guess Who. Last time Randy toured SoCal, Bluzdude, Mrs. Roller, and I caught his show at the Troubadour. I did an interview with him when he was here too: Randy Bachman interview
I love BTO, that was my first concert. The Guess Who was also an awesome group, considered royalty in Canada. It's too bad there is so much acrimony between the members of the band. Garry Peterson got legal control of the name, sold half of it to Jim Kale for a dollar just to piss Burton off. Burton swears he will never play with Kale or Peterson again, and then there's all the snipping between Burton and Randy....

Great interview! Saw the reformed BTO in Vancouver in 86 when they opened for
Van Halen. Red Rider was the opening act. Wasn't a huge Tom Cochrane fan at the time but as time goes on, I appreciate his music more. Had a huge solo hit with Life Is A Highway.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: June 17, 2020 07:16

DGA35
roller99
Great to see BTO showing up here on IORR. I have some great stories about Randy and Burton. Burton as it turns out, was Ernie Cefalu's closest friend for over 30 years. Between 2015 and 2018, the three of us used to hang out at Ernie's place, doing a live broadcast on FB. I first met Randy in 1986, funnily enough, my stepfather managed The Guess Who. Last time Randy toured SoCal, Bluzdude, Mrs. Roller, and I caught his show at the Troubadour. I did an interview with him when he was here too: Randy Bachman interview
I love BTO, that was my first concert. The Guess Who was also an awesome group, considered royalty in Canada. It's too bad there is so much acrimony between the members of the band. Garry Peterson got legal control of the name, sold half of it to Jim Kale for a dollar just to piss Burton off. Burton swears he will never play with Kale or Peterson again, and then there's all the snipping between Burton and Randy....

Van Halen. Red Rider was the opening act. Wasn't a huge Tom Cochrane fan at the time but as time goes on, I appreciate his music more. Had a huge solo hit with Life Is A Highway.

Lunatic Fringe by Red Rider is a great song, too.

Date: June 17, 2020 09:21

crholmstrom
DGA35
roller99

Yes, but I think White Hot is my favourite. Actually Tom has written a number of great songs that were hits in Canada: Don't Fight It, Big League, Boy Inside The Man, Sinking Like A Sunset, No Regrets, I Wish You Well, Victory Day.

Posted by: roller99 ()
Date: June 18, 2020 00:35

There is a boatload of good music up in Canada that just never made it's way around the world.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: June 18, 2020 01:27

roller99
There is a boatload of good music up in Canada that just never made it's way around the world.

Same could definitely be said about Australia/New Zealand

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 23, 2020 15:14

DGA35
crholmstrom
DGA35
roller99

Yes, but I think White Hot is my favourite. Actually Tom has written a number of great songs that were hits in Canada: Don't Fight It, Big League, Boy Inside The Man, Sinking Like A Sunset, No Regrets, I Wish You Well, Victory Day.

Saw Tom open for Mellencamp a few years back...he was fantastic and as much as I liked Mellencamp I thought Cochrane was better that night.

Date: June 23, 2020 20:58

treaclefingers
DGA35
crholmstrom
DGA35
roller99

Saw Tom open for Mellencamp a few years back...he was fantastic and as much as I liked Mellencamp I thought Cochrane was better that night.

Hey Treacle, where/when was this concert? Saw Mellencamp a couple years ago in Abbotsford, pretty bare bones stage set.

Posted by: roller99 ()
Date: June 24, 2020 00:37

Oh, by the way, Mrs. Roller just reminded me (she's my source) that a couple of years ago when we were hanging out with Burton, he told us that "Let It Ride" is a direct lift of "Immigrant Song" by Randy.

"American Woman" came about as The Guess Who were warming up on stage at a place in Toronto called The Broom and Stone, and Burton was out in the parking lot scoring a bag, and the band just started playing the riff. Burton ran in when he heard them starting and just made up the lyrics on the spot. Many of the songs written by The Guess Who were either drug-influenced, or written under the influence. Example: The band were doing a radio promo very early one morning. Burton was on something, and as they walked by the newsdesk with all it's flashing lights, there was a blinking light labeled, "ALERT FLASHER". Burton in his altered state, saw it as "Albert Flasher" and wrote a song about it in his head.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2245
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home