Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: BTO Revisited
Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: June 14, 2020 22:06

As often it's commercials that reminds me of those old hits. This one, You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet is on heavy commercial rotation here in Sweden.
Such a good song, makes me indulge in reminiscence. One of the first albums I ever bought as a kid. Canadian group, from Winnipeg, Manitoba.
Big in the seventies. I think this song still is a hit. Do you concur?

[www.youtube.com]

Re: OT: BTO Revisited
Posted by: Sockers56 ()
Date: June 14, 2020 22:35

I concur 100%. A few months ago I checked out you tube & found a few videos of Burton Cummings & Randy Bachman performing some of BTO's biggest hits:
[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Sockers56 ()
Date: June 14, 2020 22:36

BTO was really a good band & had more hits than we realize.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: June 14, 2020 22:41

Rolling Stone gave BTO some flack when Randy Bachman admitted the riff from "You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet" was borrowed (or ripped off, if you prefer) from "Sweet Jane."

That song was big, but their signature song was "Taking Care of Business."

I was never a BTO fan, but I liked Bachman's work in the Guess Who. Years ago I went to a record store in Sebastopol, CA that had the guitar he played on "American Woman" in a display case.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: June 14, 2020 23:10

Randy is from Winnipeg, knew Neil Young there. Relocated the band to Vancouver. Tons of hits in the 70's: Taking Care of Business, You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet, Let It Ride, Four Wheel Drive, Hey You, Roll On Down The Highway.
Bassist/vocalist Fred Turner still has a great voice. He sings lead on Let It Ride, 4 Wheel Drive, Roll On Down The Highway. Saw Bachman with Burton Cummings several years ago in Abbotsford just outside Vancouver, my younger brother had company tickets. He's not a fan of either but after the show he said he knew pretty much every song.
Original guitarist Tim Bachman became a realtor in Abbotsford. His slogan was Taking Care of Business.
One thing about You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet, Randy was stuttering as a joke to his brother. Producers liked it and they kept it as is.
Still hear a number of BTO songs on classic radio stations.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 14, 2020 23:32

I bought the "Best of B.T.O. (So Far)" album when it came out in '76 (around the same time I bought Made in the Shade), and as a 13 year old I thought they were great.
I sort of grew out of them I guess, or it became a case of BTO overkill as they were all over the radio, but no denying they had some great tunes albeit somewhate soft and generic sounding.
When I listen now they're like a time capsule, but sound a bit derivative of many other bands - the guitar chords in the chorus to Ain't Seen Nothing Yet reminds me of Baba O'Riley for instance.

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: June 15, 2020 00:58

Smashey & Nicey....

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: June 15, 2020 03:35

[www.youtube.com]

Thank you Canada.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: June 15, 2020 05:34

Loved BTO like most everyone my age living in the lower mainland in BC in the seventies.
Unbelievable how popular they were there at the time.

Funny how much I hear them still on the radio to this day when I visit.
Great legendary Canadian band.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: June 15, 2020 05:48

"It's as easy as fishin', you can be a musician". TCB baby! That line was the basis of a classic skit on SCTV. Gil Fisher, the fishin' musician. More Canadians, eh?

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 15, 2020 06:04

On behalf of Canada, you're all welcome!

Great band, great tunes. The Guess Who and then BTO really the start/heart of Canadian Rock'n'Roll.

Date: June 15, 2020 08:34

shattered
[www.youtube.com]

Thank you Canada.

We also gave you Justin Bieber and Nickelback smiling smiley

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: June 15, 2020 17:56

Never really listened to them.

I of course know the main radio hits, like Taking Care of Business, and You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet, but I never really liked those songs, so I never looked into them beyond that.

Date: June 15, 2020 17:57

LeonidP
Never really listened to them.

I of course know the main radio hits, like Taking Care of Business, and You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet, but I never really liked those songs, so I never looked into them beyond that.

** edit, listening to Taking Care of Business now, I guess i like it better than I remember. You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet though is not that good.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: June 15, 2020 18:25

Stoneage
As often it's commercials that reminds me of those old hits. This one, You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet is on heavy commercial rotation here in Sweden.
Such a good song, makes me indulge in reminiscence. One of the first albums I ever bought as a kid. Canadian group, from Winnipeg, Manitoba.
Big in the seventies. I think this song still is a hit. Do you concur?

[www.youtube.com]

Great Riff Great Lyrics & Vocals and a beautiful guitar solo second to none.

When will the the Deluxe and Japanese cds be available? spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: June 15, 2020 21:46

Look, I'm not trying to promote BTO. I bought one album from them when I was about ten years old.That's it. You might not even like "Y-A-S-N-Y". I don't mind.
Even Randy Bachman said the song was a joke and was almost embarrassed with the instant success of the song. It went to number one on the Canadian and US charts.
Number two on the UK Top 40 and sold well all over the world (well, the western world).

My point, to begin with, was to notice the capacity of commercials or other media to bring life to old hits again. Like it did with Fleetwood Mac's song "Everywhere" in 2019.
Such a great pop song. And I was never a fan to begin with..

[www.youtube.com]

Date: June 15, 2020 21:51

Stoneage
Look, I'm not trying to promote BTO. I bought one album from them when I was about ten years old.That's it. You might not even like "Y-A-S-N-Y". I don't mind.
Even Randy Bachman said the song was a joke and was almost embarrassed with the instant success of the song. It went to number one on the Canadian and US charts.
Number two on the UK Top 40 and sold well all over the world (well, the western world).

My point, to begin with, was to notice the capacity of commercials or other media to bring life to old hits again. Like it did with Fleetwood Mac's song "Everywhere" in 2019.

[www.youtube.com]

Currently in the US Ratt "Round and Round" is on the charts again due to their appearance in an insurance commercial. Same thing happened with Europe "The Final Countdown" a few years ago with the same company.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: June 15, 2020 21:55

Stoneage
Look, I'm not trying to promote BTO.

Too late.

You have already positioned yourself on iorr as the man henceforth to be known as:

"Mr. BTO"

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 15, 2020 21:57

Bacon Tomato Omelette .....

ROCKMAN

Date: June 15, 2020 22:05

Well, better than B.O. ... I never get tired of hearing YASNY

Date: June 15, 2020 22:25

Way back, Randy Bachmann had another band called Union. He played a small club in Seattle & the record label provided open bar. 1 friend overindulged & was screaming "Not Fragile!" during the whole show. My friend was shocked when Randy came out after the show & apologized to him for not playing it. It was pretty hilarious at the time

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: June 15, 2020 22:59

Hairball
I bought the "Best of B.T.O. (So Far)" album when it came out in '76 (around the same time I bought Made in the Shade), and as a 13 year old I thought they were great.
I sort of grew out of them I guess, or it became a case of BTO overkill as they were all over the radio, but no denying they had some great tunes albeit somewhate soft and generic sounding.
When I listen now they're like a time capsule, but sound a bit derivative of many other bands - the guitar chords in the chorus to Ain't Seen Nothing Yet reminds me of Baba O'Riley for instance.

You are right Hairball there does seem to be a similarity between Baba O’Riley and Ain’t seen Nothing Yet. I’m surprised after all these years I
never caught the similar chord work!

I caught Randy Bachman last year at the city Winery - a smallish venue. He
told many stories about the early days. One tidbit I learned is that the
iconic riff in American Woman was originally just the quick rhythm Randy would play while tuning his guitar to start the show. Apparently some fans began cheering while he played it one night and the rest is history. Worked out well for the Guess Who and Lenny Kravitz!

Date: June 15, 2020 23:48

crholmstrom
Way back, Randy Bachmann had another band called Union. He played a small club in Seattle & the record label provided open bar. 1 friend overindulged & was screaming "Not Fragile!" during the whole show. My friend was shocked when Randy came out after the show & apologized to him for not playing it. It was pretty hilarious at the time

Union was in the early 80s with Fred Turner. Not Fragile was called that because Yes named an earlier album Fragile, which Randy thought was strange. He thought BTO's music could be dropped and kicked around so they decided to call theirs Not Fragile.

Randy's son Tal had a pretty big hit (at least in Canada) around 20 years ago called She's So High. Still hear that song on the radio.

Date: June 16, 2020 01:07

Stoneage

[www.youtube.com]

I thought your point was obvious at the start. Where did you see anyone imply otherwise?

Date: June 16, 2020 03:02

If BTO is not in the R & R Music Hall of Fame, I will protest in the streets tomorrow. I need supplies - all I have are crayons and Bounty Paper Towels. This is no way to instigate a demonstration.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-06-16 03:05 by Chris Fountain.

Posted by: soundboard ()
Date: June 16, 2020 05:54

video: [www.youtube.com]

Two of my faves
smileys with beer

Date: June 16, 2020 05:57

[www.youtube.com]

the other

Posted by: roller99 ()
Date: June 16, 2020 22:38

Great to see BTO showing up here on IORR. I have some great stories about Randy and Burton. Burton as it turns out, was Ernie Cefalu's closest friend for over 30 years. Between 2015 and 2018, the three of us used to hang out at Ernie's place, doing a live broadcast on FB. I first met Randy in 1986, funnily enough, my stepfather managed The Guess Who. Last time Randy toured SoCal, Bluzdude, Mrs. Roller, and I caught his show at the Troubadour. I did an interview with him when he was here too: Randy Bachman interview
I love BTO, that was my first concert. The Guess Who was also an awesome group, considered royalty in Canada. It's too bad there is so much acrimony between the members of the band. Garry Peterson got legal control of the name, sold half of it to Jim Kale for a dollar just to piss Burton off. Burton swears he will never play with Kale or Peterson again, and then there's all the snipping between Burton and Randy....

Date: June 16, 2020 23:01

Nice interview roller99 - that Chuck Berry info is new to me - gonna get some Gretsch strings and try that!

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: June 16, 2020 23:43

3 people I wish I sounded like:

Gregory Allman, Robin Zander, and Burton

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1918
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home