Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Really BIG Ed Sullivan News
Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: June 13, 2020 03:15

A massive trove of digitally restored clips from “The Ed Sullivan Show” will arrive online during the next three years, reviving more than 10,000 long-buried performances and guest appearances from the iconic variety show.

The global streaming project launches today with seven clips on YouTube and other platforms — a Motown-dominated batch of videos that includes performances by Diana Ross & the Supremes, Marvin Gaye, the Jackson 5 and Temptations and Gladys Knight & the Pips.

They’re the tip of a cultural iceberg contained in the “Ed Sullivan Show” archives: The Sunday night program ran from 1948 through 1971 on CBS, piping the rock ‘ n’ roll revolution, Hollywood glitz and Detroit’s Motown sparkle into American living rooms alongside Broadway, opera, vaudeville, comedy and novelty acts.

"The Ed Sullivan Show" on You Tube
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: June 13, 2020 03:30

Link to source and full story - [www.freep.com]

The Ed Sullivan Show Channel - [www.youtube.com]

Re: Really BIG Ed Sullivan News
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 13, 2020 04:14

Excellent. thumbs up

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: June 13, 2020 04:31

And to think that when you were a kid and you went to see a movie with your parents - you thought that it might come on TV a few years later, once during the season and possibly once during the summer reruns. And then you thought that you would never see it again. Same thing for stuff on TV.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 13, 2020 08:32

I like the performances up until what? 1966? When they went to lip synching. I think those album backing tracks with Mick doing a live vocal were bogus. The early truly live performances are riveting.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: June 14, 2020 10:50

I'd much rather have "Soul Train"... True gems there!

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: June 14, 2020 13:28

I’m in agreement with 24FPS. The singing live to the backing-track thing does little for me. It’s even worse when the entire performance is mimed.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: June 14, 2020 17:52

Should be a really big shoe.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: June 14, 2020 18:19

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: June 14, 2020 19:48

Topo Gigo was always the hit of the show. Otherwise, meh, stone face Ed just really kills it and the way he treated his musical "guests" and the format do nothing to allay that feeling. Probably be good for a bit of nostalgia (watching the first Beatles gig while folding newspapers for my morning route, sitting on the living room floor with my mom who was gracious enough to help me fold them and then drive me around the next morning in sub freezing weather because she couldn't watch her poor son suffer out in the cold...thanks Ma!) but not much else. All the Stones performances have already been released in digital glory a few years ago.

jb

Posted by: mrjones ()
Date: June 14, 2020 20:39

video: [bestclassicbands.com] Big Ed had a problem with Dylan doing a song on the show-not to mention the Stones & the doors too.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: June 16, 2020 19:51

Jim Morrison's performance says both ...
that the doors are never playing on this show ever again
&
F--- you, Ed:

[www.youtube.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 513
Record Number of Users: 184 on May 17, 2018 22:46
Record Number of Guests: 3948 on December 7, 2015 15:07

Previous page Next page First page IORR home