Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Really BIG Ed Sullivan News
Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: June 13, 2020 03:15

A massive trove of digitally restored clips from “The Ed Sullivan Show” will arrive online during the next three years, reviving more than 10,000 long-buried performances and guest appearances from the iconic variety show.

The global streaming project launches today with seven clips on YouTube and other platforms — a Motown-dominated batch of videos that includes performances by Diana Ross & the Supremes, Marvin Gaye, the Jackson 5 and Temptations and Gladys Knight & the Pips.

They’re the tip of a cultural iceberg contained in the “Ed Sullivan Show” archives: The Sunday night program ran from 1948 through 1971 on CBS, piping the rock ‘ n’ roll revolution, Hollywood glitz and Detroit’s Motown sparkle into American living rooms alongside Broadway, opera, vaudeville, comedy and novelty acts.

"The Ed Sullivan Show" on You Tube
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: June 13, 2020 03:30

Link to source and full story - [www.freep.com]

The Ed Sullivan Show Channel - [www.youtube.com]

Re: Really BIG Ed Sullivan News
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 13, 2020 04:14

Excellent. thumbs up

Date: June 13, 2020 04:31

And to think that when you were a kid and you went to see a movie with your parents - you thought that it might come on TV a few years later, once during the season and possibly once during the summer reruns. And then you thought that you would never see it again. Same thing for stuff on TV.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 13, 2020 08:32

I like the performances up until what? 1966? When they went to lip synching. I think those album backing tracks with Mick doing a live vocal were bogus. The early truly live performances are riveting.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: June 14, 2020 10:50

I'd much rather have "Soul Train"... True gems there!

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: June 14, 2020 13:28

I’m in agreement with 24FPS. The singing live to the backing-track thing does little for me. It’s even worse when the entire performance is mimed.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: June 14, 2020 17:52

Should be a really big shoe.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: June 14, 2020 18:19

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: June 14, 2020 19:48

Topo Gigo was always the hit of the show. Otherwise, meh, stone face Ed just really kills it and the way he treated his musical "guests" and the format do nothing to allay that feeling. Probably be good for a bit of nostalgia (watching the first Beatles gig while folding newspapers for my morning route, sitting on the living room floor with my mom who was gracious enough to help me fold them and then drive me around the next morning in sub freezing weather because she couldn't watch her poor son suffer out in the cold...thanks Ma!) but not much else. All the Stones performances have already been released in digital glory a few years ago.

jb

Posted by: mrjones ()
Date: June 14, 2020 20:39

video: [bestclassicbands.com] Big Ed had a problem with Dylan doing a song on the show-not to mention the Stones & the doors too.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: June 16, 2020 19:51

Jim Morrison's performance says both ...
that the doors are never playing on this show ever again
&
F--- you, Ed:

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: October 19, 2020 01:52

The Ed Sullivan YouTube channel is one of the best out there, with great videos being uploaded on a daily basis and often with some unseen performances (at least for me) like this one:

B.B. King - The Thrill is Gone (1970)

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: October 19, 2020 01:59

MisterDDDD

Haha!! I can still hear Ed announcing
“Tonight we have Topo Gigi, Sophie Tucker, the Peter Gennaro dancers, and for you kids . . .” and mention The Beatles or The Stones or one of many legendary bands. My family would watch every Sunday evening. My dad always mocked the groups (he was a jazz aficionado).

Posted by: RnT ()
Date: October 19, 2020 02:04

Thanks Mile High, amazing clips. Really love that performance of Good Vibrations.

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: October 19, 2020 02:43

MileHigh
And to think that when you were a kid and you went to see a movie with your parents - you thought that it might come on TV a few years later, once during the season and possibly once during the summer reruns. And then you thought that you would never see it again. Same thing for stuff on TV.

It’s mental.... I used to be so happy to get an audio bootleg from a gig I’d been to. A video boot was rarer again. Now a lot of stuff had trickled out over the last 20 years especially due to the interywebs. grinning smiley

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: October 19, 2020 03:44

OMG! Others remember Topo Gigo. I loved it when Topo appeared on Sullivan's show. In talking with others who grew up watching Sullivan's show, we've all wondered what happened to Topo once Sullivan's show ended. Used to love watching a Canadian comedy duo named Wayne and Shuster. Every Sunday night Sullivan's show was an American institution along with Bonanza featuring the saga of the Cartwright family. It seems like such a different world back then.

Date: October 19, 2020 03:51

Two words: Plate Spinners!!!

Date: October 19, 2020 03:53

...and acrobatic dogs jumping through hoops, walking on hind legs, and doing flips in the air....

Date: October 19, 2020 03:57

A little surprised at the "Stones Universe" comments. C'mon guys and gals! There is more to life than you-know-who. Bask in the diversity!!!

Date: October 19, 2020 03:58

Wow! smiling smiley

Posted by: KevinM ()
Date: October 19, 2020 04:01

24FPS
I like the performances up until what? 1966? When they went to lip synching. I think those album backing tracks with Mick doing a live vocal were bogus. The early truly live performances are riveting.

@24FPS

I was born in '71...why did they start the lip synching? Was it b/c of Jim Morrison's "stunt" on Light My Fire.

Didn't Mick have to sing "Let's Spend Some Time Together" iirc.

Date: October 19, 2020 04:17

This just oozes 1969!

Date: October 19, 2020 04:21

A connection to the boys! OMG!

Date: October 19, 2020 04:28

I would like to have Don Kirshners Rock Concert archives there has got to be a ton of stuff in there.

The Ed Sullivan news has been around a few months now.

The 1970's was full of shows with guest artists like The Johnny Cash show or Kenny Rogers.

Hopefully a lot of this stuff will come out down the road.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: October 19, 2020 04:47

Looking at the Cocker clip I can only wonder - where did he get that shirt and who thought it was hip, who processed his hair and is what the 1960s wrought - flouncy dresses on people dancing around a stage while someone lip syncs a song? Wait, don't answer that, we all know.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 19, 2020 04:49

Looking at the Cocker clip I can only wonder - where did he get that shirt

PJ Proby sold the clothes to Joe ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: October 19, 2020 05:02

dcba
I'd much rather have "Soul Train"... True gems there!

Hell no

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: October 19, 2020 05:28

There was great stuff on Soul Train, no doubt.

The reason so many of these are lip synced is not because of censorship, its due to difficulties getting decent sound in those days. So they would go into the studio earlier and record a backing track, or just use a tape they already had mixed, and usually the singer would then sing live vocals over the band miming to the prerecorded track. Was a lot easier that way than trying to mike the band and all that engineering.

Some would send in pre recorded appearances, I am sure the last few Beatles "appearances" were pre recorded and then played for the audience in house and at home. I think I recall the last Stones performance being mailed in, literally.

Speaking of which, their previous to last appearance was like in 66, may have been the lets spend the night fiasco but I seem to remember maybe one other appearance, and then they disappeared for awhile as we all know. Then their return, they returned in full junkie regalia, no Brian Jones, playing not cute kinda pop music but this dangerous sounding junkie blues stuff. I remember seeing that and thinking, man the times have changed!

A jumping jack flash video presentation may have been in the meantime, now that I think about it.

jb

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: October 19, 2020 05:42

Soul rain was great.. and the Sullivan show was iconic.

Midnight Special was the absolute best though drinking smiley

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1876
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home