Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Hookers and Blow do Rocks Off (video)
Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: May 30, 2020 03:02

GasLightStreet
Wow that's AWESOME! HA HA HA HA! The live one though... doesn't sound live!

I don't get the sarcasm actually. That guy comes off as highly intelligent, he can play multiple instruments very well, and he adds his own interesting touch to the covers that he does. He is highly successful and has carved out a niche for himself as a 21st century one-man-band. He works hard and does very professional videos and it's clear that he absolutely loves what he does.

If we could all only be as talented and successful as that guy.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 30, 2020 03:44

GasLightStreet
It's really good. Very well done. Excellently done, really.

But.

It really brings to mind why the Stones are so good and why their rhythm, give and take, weave and wobble, work so well, Rocks Off especially giving audible proof of why the Stones are so damn good, where as the version by Hookers And Blow, a very good rock band, obviously, is just... rock band average: Aerosmith or Def Leppard would do it almost exactly the same so... you know, nice nod and all but nothing interesting.

Having said that, and I agree, nothing touches the original studio version...Stones themselves don't approach its greatness.

Having listened to this cover, I think I've made my mind up and Rocks Off is the pinnacle of the Stones canon for me.

It has everything you could possibly want in the architypal Stones song; sex, sleaze, drugs, world-weary rock and roll with raunchy interwoven guitar assault, bouncy keyboards, delicious drums...and the horns, oh man the horns, best and most authentic use of horns this band ever had this side of Brown Sugar...and the ethereal 'I'm so mesmerized' sequence that shouldn't fit, cannot be redone properly, and slows this whole out-of-control train to a smooth run through the mountain tunnel before speeding up again and flying off the rails.

It's rock perfection, nothing touches it...and even more than that, for me, the sunshine bores the daylights AND I only come when she pirouttes.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-30 03:53 by treaclefingers.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: May 30, 2020 19:25

treaclefingers

It has everything you could possibly want in the architypal Stones song; sex, sleaze, drugs, world-weary rock and roll with raunchy interwoven guitar assault, bouncy keyboards, delicious drums...and the horns, oh man the horns, best and most authentic use of horns this band ever had this side of Brown Sugar...and the ethereal 'I'm so mesmerized' sequence that shouldn't fit, cannot be redone properly, and slows this whole out-of-control train to a smooth run through the mountain tunnel before speeding up again and flying off .

That's absolutely right,Treacle.
Rocks off got it all.
And on top of it you have "THAT MIX"

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: May 30, 2020 21:23

Rocks Off lyrics;

" I was making love last night
to a dancer friend of mine
I can't seem to stay in step
'cause she come every time
that she pirouettes over me"(1971)

That beats the strangeness of the foresight of LIAGT!

Rockandroll,
Mops

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: May 31, 2020 13:40

I loved the original Rocks off from First listening in the early 70's.
But it took some time with the whole albums.
And critics weren't that good.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: May 31, 2020 15:08

come on folks....these are mediocre covers....makes me want to blast Exile so much more....nothing touches the original...but this is drivel...

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2201
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home