Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Shindig TV Appearance w/ Wolf - 1965
Posted by: gut ()
Date: October 26, 2005 00:11

Probably been asked a million times, but...........

Does anyone know where I can find a copy of this?...Its the famous Stones appearance where they co-host and Howlin' Wolf is the musical guest.

I just found out that Son House was there too, so I am trying to find ways to ge to see his performance.

#......Go ahead....Bite the Big Apple....Don't mind the Maggots.....Uh Huh...#

Re: Shindig TV Appearance w/ Wolf - 1965
Date: October 26, 2005 00:25

There is a fantastic Howlin' Wolf documentary out called "The Howlin' Wolf story" and it includes the complete performance of "How many more years" by Howlin' Wolf (with the Stones sitting at his feet).

And it can't be said enough: it is really a @#$%& SHAME how the USA have treated Howlin' Wolf (and other black artists). Just an example: this appearance at "Shindig!" was the Wolf's ONLY appearance in US national TV! He was never invited to any other US TV show!!! Would you ever believe it? And even this one time he was only invited because the Stones insisted, they said they wouldn't perform if Howlin' Wolf was not invited. Have a look at him, what a man!

Posted by: BOBM ()
Date: October 26, 2005 00:34

I'm from the USA and I have been a music fan since 1958. I have nothing against Howlin' Wolf. It's just that I had never heard of him until I saw him on Shindig with the Stones. He wasn't popular among TV viewers so why would anyone pay him to perform on TV? It's not like he was black listed or slighted. He was just an unknown. I don't remember many blues songs in the top 100.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: October 26, 2005 00:38

you have a good point, Bob. I think the travesty isn't with the TV networks, but the general lack of good taste by the American buying public. It's a shame it took the British Invasion to help wake up America to the gems in its own backyard. Wolf wasn't alone in his relative obscurity - even the great Muddy Waters has almost no extant footage from his heyday....

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 26, 2005 00:51

For Wolf and his pure dynamite early Memphis recordings, acetates and all go for...

Howlin' Wolf - Memphis Days The Definitive Edition vol1 Bear Family BCD 15460
Howlin' Wolf - Memphis Days The Definitive Edition vol2 Bear Family BCD 15500
Howling Wolf - Rides Again Ace CDCHD 333 the powerhouse Bihari Bros recordings.
Howling Wolf - Sings The Blues Ace CDCHM 1013

For the later Chess released material head for 3 CD set
Howling Wolf - Chess Box CHD3-9332

ROCKMAN

Posted by: BOBM ()
Date: October 26, 2005 00:55

The British invasion bands from the sixties gave us the best music ever. Even their covers of popular songs (including half serious bands like Herman's Hermits even), were way better than the originals. The Stones sing blues songs better than the blues artists themselves, and they even do country and western better than the original artists.

Date: October 26, 2005 00:59

Gut forgot to add that there is 20-30mins boot footage of Wolf performing 5-6 songs backstage at Newport with a very drunk Son House watching on. At one stage House is yelling out and Wolf pays him out about being a drunk...very funny stuff and wild to see the eye-rolling Wolf perform.

ROCKMAN

Date: October 26, 2005 01:04

BOBM Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The British invasion bands from the sixties gave
> us the best music ever. Even their covers of
> popular songs (including half serious bands like
> Herman's Hermits even), were way better than the
> originals. The Stones sing blues songs better
> than the blues artists themselves, and they even
> do country and western better than the original
> artists.

Wow, Bob! You totally lost me on this one. Nobody did Muddy better than Muddy or Wolf better than Wolf. Not the Stones...not anyone. Not even close, IMO>

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 26, 2005 01:12

BOBM Wrote:
> than the blues artists themselves,

Having seen that appearance with Muddy at the Checkerboard Lounge (as much as I love it), I cant agree with that at all. Put Mick's singing voice against Muddy's or Howlin' Wolf's and theres no comparison as far as being a blues singer is concerned. Mick's a very good blues singer by any standard (and the Stones PLAY that type of music wonderfully), and more so as he's got older - but when you listen to that "Paying The Cost to Be The Boss" track that the Stones recorded with BB King a few years ago, its like a man duetting with a boy.

and they even
> artists.

yeah, if the 'original artist' is some crap like Garth Brooks
they definitely do country music very well, but theyre no Hank Williams or Johnny Cash....

Date: October 26, 2005 01:16

i agree, Gazza - and although Mick does some serviceable R&B vocals, he sounds like a little boy compared to the greats like Solomon, Otis & Brother Ray. Also, it's not just the vocals - the Chess "machine" in the 50's/60's was untouchable in providing great backing to the likes of Muddy, Wolf, Little Walter, Sonny Boy, etc...I don't think the Stones as a blues band were nearly in their league either....

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 26, 2005 01:23

True

Again, not a criticism of the band's ability to play a diverse range of music and do it very well (how many bands can that be said about?), but whilst they have a great talent in order to do that, I think its a bit of a stretch to say they have mastered all those genres better than everyone else has - especially when in some cases they've barely dipped into them deep enough to get their feet wet

I actually think the Stones' ability to play soulful and funk style dance music has been greatly underrated. Listen to "Everything's turning to Gold" and "Dance Part 2" off Sucking In The 70's as evidence of how hot they can be. And "Miss You", "Dance Pt1" and "Hot Stuff" are none too shabby either

Date: October 26, 2005 01:28

I would add Suck on the Jugular and Rain Fall Down to that as well - though I'm well aware of your (incorrect) views on the former....

Posted by: Odd-beat ()
Date: October 26, 2005 01:53

Troll alert?

Posted by: Leonard Keringer ()
Date: October 26, 2005 01:54

Mick's great.....but he doesnt have the Wolf's pipes

Date: October 26, 2005 02:31

BOBM Wrote:
> than the blues artists themselves, and they even
> artists.

Either you've never heard the originals then you're a talkabilly who'll better shut up. Or you have a serious problem with lack of taste, in this case your love for the British invasion bands is very questionable.

Posted by: G. the Cock ()
Date: October 26, 2005 02:48

If I remember correctly, the Shindig appearance of Wolf with the Stones watching is included in the "25 x 5" video, released a couple of years ago.

Truth is stranger than fiction

stoned greetings
G. The Cock

Date: October 26, 2005 04:18

Part of it on 25x5....whole thing inc Brian & Mick's intro on Wolf Doco

ROCKMAN

Posted by: G. the Cock ()
Date: October 26, 2005 04:22

Thanks Rockman!!!

Truth is stranger than fiction

stoned greetings
G. The Cock

Posted by: john r ()
Date: October 26, 2005 04:37

I believe - don't have it at hand - The Shindig appearance is at least excerpted in the DVD "The Howlin Wolf Story" which is very good, as is Wolf (& other greats) in "Devil Got My Woman: Blues at Newport 1966" which Rockman mentioned. For CDs, in the US, recent issues of the 2 lps-on-1 cd "Real Folk Blues/More Real Folk Blues" has better sound than the 15 year old box (& is budget priced), and the 1994 "Ain't Gonna Be Your Dog" collects Memphis/Chicago material left off the box & other Chess/Universal collections. Most recent Memphis collection: the 18 track "Memphis Recordings" on Fuel 2000 (less comprehensive than Bear Family's, but a solid single disc set of the '51-53 stuff). Finally, there's the nifty Wolf & Hubert/Stones/Clapton collaboration "London Sessions" in the deluxe 2-cd edition.

Posted by: RankOutsider ()
Date: October 26, 2005 04:39

People seem to forget that in MANY parts of the U.S. in '65' blacks couldn't even use the same restrooms as whites;eat at the same restaurants etc,.. Rock 'n' roll just ten years earlier was considered the devil's music by many folks. Black music, (blues), was not heard on white American radio, period. Black blues artists were 'unknowns' because thats the way certain people in power wanted it.

I ain't stupid, I'm just guitarded.

Posted by: gut ()
Date: October 26, 2005 07:49

Well somewhere out there in Hollywood and ABC, there has got to be a whole archive of old "Shindigs". I was aware of the footage on the Howlin' Wolf story and 25X5 but I would go nuts to see the original footage, completely unedited. There could be good money in those old shows if they thought about selling DVDs of them. Knowing that Son House also played that 1965 show has really piqued my interest in it.

Post Script: I will forever be in debt to the Stones for introducing a folk music that was completely indigenous to my own back yard. America sold itself short in the 50's and 60's by segregating its music by race.

#......Go ahead....Bite the Big Apple....Don't mind the Maggots.....Uh Huh...#

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1921
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home