Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
How have the Stones helped U thru the hard times?
Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: October 24, 2005 03:04

"Black and Blue" came out just as my first real girlfriend broke up with me and my parents were getting divorced (unrelated events BTW)! It really helped me get thru this. How about U?

Re: How have the Stones helped U thru the hard times?
Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: October 24, 2005 03:08

When I was in high school, my mother got sick and they told us she had a 50/50 chance of living through the night. I sat in my room all night long playing "As Tears Go By" over and over.

Usually when I'm upset, I play Beggar's Banquet, and by Jigsaw Puzzle, all is good.

Wasn't looking too good, but I was feeling real well.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: October 24, 2005 03:11

I'm with you! Did she make it? I hope so.

Posted by: mttlacroix ()
Date: October 24, 2005 04:38

When my girlfriend was pissed at me, i played her wild horses.

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: October 24, 2005 12:45

Whenever I feel down, I put on Goats Head Soup...

It doesn't cheer me up, but it seems to chime with how I'm feeling - which is good.

Posted by: billy318124 ()
Date: October 24, 2005 13:26

stop it.....................

Posted by: barcelona ()
Date: October 24, 2005 13:33

sjs12 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Whenever I feel down, I put on Goats Head Soup...
>
> It doesn't cheer me up, but it seems to chime with
> how I'm feeling - which is good.

Exactly the same with me.
I know it's not their best record but I really appreciate it.

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: October 24, 2005 14:00

My girlfriend left me so I spent every penny on Stones stuff to cheer myself up. That was in 1983 and I haven't stopped yet.

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: October 24, 2005 14:28

Yes. most definetly. They are the ONLY thing in the wolrd that I totally trust. And I mean the only. This is a topic I could expand on to the nth degree but probably don't have to, because most here understand. And when I say "totally trust" I don't mean that I think them to be always perfect or great. But they have never let me down and have always been there. Even when they are gone the 69 Stones , or the 89 Stones, or whenever will be as strong as ever. To me.

BTW there are countless threads where this guy billy comes in a says "stop it". I wonder what it is he is looking for.

Date: October 24, 2005 14:38

dignity

Posted by: nurse56 ()
Date: October 24, 2005 14:41

My sister died suddenly 2 years ago and the only thing that has been able to help me through the hard times is listening to the Stones.

Posted by: Debra ()
Date: October 24, 2005 14:43

My medicine for the Blues is a one-two punch; I'll play favorites off of EXILE like Let It Loose, Lovin Cup, Ventalator Blues and follow it up with Sticky Fingers, Wild Horses, Sway and end with Moonlight Mile. It always works! Moonlight Mile is tranquilizing, how the ending is like a mantra, " just about a moonlight mile, on down the road, oad, oad....."

Posted by: Reptile ()
Date: October 24, 2005 14:45

When I got the blues I just listen to Sticky Fingers!

Posted by: carlas ()
Date: October 24, 2005 16:05

My 24 year old son died suddenly in 2000 and was a huge Stones fan. There is no place I feel closer to him than at a Stones concert, I just know he is looking down and rocking along with his dad and I. After his death, I struggled to make sense of it all, asked "why" and begged for some kind of sign to help me cope and go on. I am not a big believer in afterlife, but I swear each time I turned on the car radio, there was a Stones song playing - and I mean each time for about 3 months. Whether it was a sign or not, it sure helped me through the very worst time of my life. We are attending 3 shows this tour, one down (Chicago), 2 to go. San Francisco in 3 weeks; Greg, love ya and miss ya, see ya soon!

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: October 24, 2005 16:27

love and light, Greg & Carlas, love & light

Giorgio Gomelsky once said this about that handful of skinny English cats:
"the energy they generate is incredible, and gives everybody courage for years and years and years"

power and glory, baby -
and it's not just their music either, is it. it's the whole Stones Thing:
that great glorious rock & roll courage & joy & tenacity
lighting up the fine parts and keeping us strong through the hard parts -
"oh yeah, everything gonna be all right!"

"What do you want - what?!"
- Keith

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: October 24, 2005 16:33

nothing big...like carlas...very sorry for your loss...very sad.

but every time i had girl problems a long time ago...ha, i put on;

its all over now,
stupid girl
think
under my thumb
back street girl
out of time
i'm free and donncha bother me..
and to get myself pumped up i'd play get yer ya-ya's out, real loud.
i'd go insane without the stones...

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 24, 2005 16:42

It's lives at the tail end of Out Of Our Heads and no one ever gives it much credit but it carries a message that may just help us all.

The things that don't matter easy come and go
And the things that satisfy only come real slow
You gotta know and watch it all in your mind
'Cause it's better when you get it if you really try

Sit down shut up don't dare to cry
Things will get better if you really try
So don't ya panic don't ya panic
Give it one more try
Don't ya panic don't ya panic
Give it one more try

Keep on trying
Keep on trying
Keep on trying
Keep on trying
Keep on trying

ROCKMAN

Posted by: llaushin ()
Date: October 24, 2005 17:17

I agree rockman-most optimistic song by them!

Posted by: somesmerized ()
Date: October 24, 2005 18:28

The Rolling Stones put a big smile on my face every time I hear / see / remember them, they are just so cool and so inspiring.

Posted by: Leonard Keringer ()
Date: October 24, 2005 18:35

when my girlfriends got the upper hand i play "short & curlies"

Posted by: harlito1969 ()
Date: October 24, 2005 18:57

High School sucked, listening to the Stones made the four years of hell much better. I can't count the numerous items of interest that I got into because I wanted to know what and whom the Stones were singing about. This goes back to when I was only 12 and continues to this day. I guess the Stones are my background music, it's better when they're playing.

Posted by: Marcia ()
Date: October 25, 2005 04:46

So sorry, Carlas..I believe it WAS a sign that there was a Stones song on each time you turned on the radio.
My Mother who was a really neat lady, dear, dear soul, passed away in June of 2000. I miss her terribly. The 40 Licks Tour was the first event that I really looked forward to after that. I had been really depressed and when we went to Detroit to see them, it really brought me back. We then went to Pittsburgh for 40 Licks as well and it was almost magical that evening, waiting for the doors to open, very soft, snow flakes falling..I could feel her with me.
We went to ABB in Detroit this year and once again the magic was there. My husbsand who is not as big a fan as I am, loves to go with me just to see me light up.
MANY YEARS ago (and I mean many) when my husband needed to call me at work, the receptionist would ask, "Who's calling?" He would respond, "Mick Jagger" Everyone would get a laugh, but it was even then that it brought out the light.
"A smile relieves the heart that grieves" Jagger/Richard(s) "Waiting on a Friend"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-10-25 22:22 by Marcia.

Posted by: harlito1969 ()
Date: October 25, 2005 05:51

Marcia, cool story and thanks for mentioning that lyric... one truly fantastic line. It is sooooo true!

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: October 25, 2005 05:58

my wife went into labor 3 months early. my baby was in the hospital for over 3 months. i would only get to hold her for 1/2 hour at a time.while my wife was in the hospital(for 2 weeks until she gave birth) 4 flicks just came out. It seems sad to think now there I was,alone in the house, wife in the hospital trying not to go into labor again, watching 4 flicks and never able to keep from getting emotional during "worried about you". I used to sing "child of the moon" to my daughter when I was able to hold her. The boys came through and pulled me out of the worst possible situation ever. Well, she came home and besides a severe visual impairment is as healthy as a horse.

Posted by: LA FORUM ()
Date: October 25, 2005 11:59

Love you live helped me through homework. It worked, I listened to Keiths heavy guitar and studied at the same time!

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: October 25, 2005 12:02

When I feel bad I put on some quiet Stones, and when I get my mood up after that, I play Brown Sugar so loud my eardrums bust.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: LA FORUM ()
Date: October 25, 2005 12:03

Yeah, BS from 1972 does it for me. A good starter. And if I wanna be a bit dangeroud and fly away, MR from that same tour will do just fine. Love in vain, the studioversion works as well.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: October 25, 2005 17:03

There was a dramatic, sad event in my life last year that I couldn't stand I thought. One riff on the "Beast of Burden" version on "Bite the Big Apple" was the only way back to life ... the riff is so incredible and simple, so ingenious that only the Stones can do this, and Ronnies solo is also fantastic. The riff appears two times, it's Keith, I think, first at the beginning directly after the words "My back is broad but my feet are hurting", the second time directly after the words "I'll never be your beast of burden" in the second stave.

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: October 25, 2005 18:14

Elmo Lewis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm with you! Did she make it? I hope so.

Hi Elmo, she did make it that time, at least for a few more years.
Miss ya mom. :-(

Thanks for asking.

Wasn't looking too good, but I was feeling real well.

Date: October 25, 2005 18:57

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1415
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home