Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT - recording music at home?
Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: March 2, 2020 20:32

I’ve done a bit but not a lot, and am now putting together a small workstation to record drums, bass, and guitar. Have some limited experience with Audacity but open to suggestions, for interface as well as digital audio workstations. thanks in advance for any info! recording to Mac laptop.

Re: OT - recording music at home?
Posted by: automaticchanger ()
Date: March 3, 2020 05:49

My preferred DAW is Reaper - it's free to download and works on Mac/Windows equally well. The interface is pretty intuitive when it comes to basic recording, and there's a ton of more advanced features should you choose to delve further.

Date: March 3, 2020 15:06

automaticchanger
My preferred DAW is Reaper - it's free to download and works on Mac/Windows equally well. The interface is pretty intuitive when it comes to basic recording, and there's a ton of more advanced features should you choose to delve further.

Thanks! I’ll look into that, sounds very good.

Posted by: WillInUK ()
Date: March 3, 2020 19:03

Also BandLab -which is a free version of Cakewalk / Sonar.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: March 4, 2020 00:31

duke richardson
I’ve done a bit but not a lot, and am now putting together a small workstation to record drums, bass, and guitar. Have some limited experience with Audacity but open to suggestions, for interface as well as digital audio workstations. thanks in advance for any info! recording to Mac laptop.

I have a friend that cut some major label demos on GarageBand. You have a Mac, so you have GarageBand. You can upgrade to Logic for more bells and whistles as well.

Personally, I use Pro Tools, Logic, and Reason. I dabble in FL Studio too.

A DAW is like a pair of basketball shoes. Whichever looks the best and is the most comfortable to you is what you should go for. They’re all made for playing basketball.

Interface is totally dependent on budget and how many sources you want to record at once. The Apollo stuff by Universal Audio is fabulous.

Date: March 4, 2020 00:38

TravelinMan
duke richardson

I have a friend that cut some major label demos on GarageBand. You have a Mac, so you have GarageBand. You can upgrade to Logic for more bells and whistles as well.

A DAW is like a pair of basketball shoes. Whichever looks the best and is the most comfortable to you is what you should go for. They’re all made for playing basketball.

Interface is totally dependent on budget and how many sources you want to record at once. The Apollo stuff by Universal Audio is fabulous.

Ok I am glad to hear that recommendation for the interface. Up to now I’ve been looking at the Focusrite ones. Not certain about inputs, I think I may be good with maybe four. I don’t plan to record a lot of tracks simultaneously.. just me playing, building tracks, into a song, mostly.
I’d appreciate knowing why you like the Apollo interface. Thanks

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: March 4, 2020 03:22

duke richardson
TravelinMan
duke richardson

Ok I am glad to hear that recommendation for the interface. Up to now I’ve been looking at the Focusrite ones. Not certain about inputs, I think I may be good with maybe four. I don’t plan to record a lot of tracks simultaneously.. just me playing, building tracks, into a song, mostly.
I’d appreciate knowing why you like the Apollo interface. Thanks

With the Apollo you can use their fantastic modeling plug-ins. They’re incredible.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1513
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home