Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Talking about the money we’ve “invested” in collecting The Rolling Stones
Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: February 4, 2020 16:39

mattleeuk
This is an interesting question and those outside of the collecting world always just assume you are amassing a fortune. The reality as noted here above is somewhat different. I think the truth is that the stuff that isn't truly rare fades in value as there is more perfect information. You can go on eBay and find several US Promotional Albums for sale so it's price has remained fairly flat over the last 20 years however the UK one when it comes up once in a blue moon fetches much much more as it's truly rare and enough people still need it.

The internet has exposed stuff that isn't truly rare, Fakes, particularly posters and autographs depress the value of real ones in most circumstances because many buyers don't know the difference and they assume they are getting something original or authentic. As I have often said, not every expensive autograph is real but every cheap one is fake.

If one was looking to enjoy their hobby but not look to throw money away the advice would be similar to the classic car market, buy the very best you can afford. Don't buy volume, by quality. Much better to buy a £2,000 item than twenty £100 items, Even better the museum quality pieces, I believe they will always have interest.

I haven't a clue what I have spent because I don't care, it's not an investment it's my passion but it's a frightening amount. My commitment to my passion was tested recently when I turned down $5m for everything. What else would I do? I love this band and I love collecting their stuff. This year my museum will open and my book will come out so I can share my passion with many more people.

thumbs upthumbs upthumbs up
THAT is the real fan!
I once bought a small logo ring in the USA at a flee market for 25 cents. Soon after somebody offered me 25€ ... no way cool smiley

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1879
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home