Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

New Musical Express Pollwinners
Posted by: redrum ()
Date: October 19, 2005 23:00

hi,

Who can fill me in on the history annual New Musical Express Pollwinners Concerts?
I know Beatles performed in 1963, 64, 65, 66; Rolling Stones in 1964, 65, 66 & 68.

Both Beatles and Rolling Stones performences were not filmed or recorded due to contractual disputes on (1 May) 1966.

The Stones reappeared at the annual show on 12 May 1968. Was this also not recorded/filmed? I know it has never appeared on bootleg and I've never seen it listed on traders lists....I've only seen still photos of the Stones at this show. Technically, the last ever concert with Brian Jones.

How many years did the NME hold these concerts?

Imigine going back to May 1, 1966: see the Rolling Stones/Beatles/Roy Orbison/The Who/Yardbirds and Small Faces on same bill! J-ee-z-us!

Re: New Musical Express Pollwinners
Posted by: neptune ()
Date: October 20, 2005 00:59

I have also been searching for that NME show from '68, to no avail. I guess that performance wasn't filmed. Too bad. Brian's last live performance was actually the Rock and Roll Circus (Dec. '68), but he was unfortunately edited out by the powers that be. I guess they felt that 'silencing' Brian was a proper way of paying tribute to him . . .

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: October 20, 2005 01:02

redrum Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Imigine going back to May 1, 1966: see the Rolling
> Stones/Beatles/Roy Orbison/The Who/Yardbirds and
> Small Faces on same bill! J-ee-z-us!

Yep, all the acts look pretty good, but I'm not familiar with this J-ee-z-us fellow. Was he in a band?

Posted by: Leonard Keringer ()
Date: October 20, 2005 01:24

camper88 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> redrum Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Imigine going back to May 1, 1966: see the
> Rolling
> > Stones/Beatles/Roy Orbison/The Who/Yardbirds
> and
> > Small Faces on same bill! J-ee-z-us!
>
>
> Yep, all the acts look pretty good, but I'm not
> familiar with this J-ee-z-us fellow. Was he in
> a band?
>
>
yep.. him with the mary-chain

Posted by: Tseverin ()
Date: October 20, 2005 02:08

Hey Redrum, I've also been searching for years for the '68 Pollwinners appearance.
Check Wyman's 'Stone Alone' Appendix 2:

"5.68 Southern NME Poll-Winners Concert (taped 12.5.68) Wembley (Stones 'Live')
18.5.68 ITV Time For Blackburn (taped 12.5.68) Wembley (Stones 'Live')"

So it definitely was filmed. The question is does it still exist and where. It may be in an ITV vault somewhere, possibly Granada's as they took on a lot of the other region's archives when they closed down.
Does anyone know a contact at ITV who could check with their library?

Date: October 20, 2005 20:06

Hi-

Well, Wyman could have certainly made an error in his book, regarding the taping of the NME '68 performance. Seems like if the Stones portion was ever broadcast in any way, someone would have taped it.

Also, many Stones sources don't consider the Rock n Roll Circus a "concert"--including Wymans book. It was speciffically done for the cameras, certain songs had many takes done....

Anyway, I thought perhaps someone could fill me in on the first and last ever NME Pollwinners shows. I don't suppose they still have those shows?

The earliest one I am aware of is the 1963 show, with the Beatles on the bill....last that I know was 1968 with Stones....wonder if we were to check "gigographys" of the Who, Faces, etc we mihgt be able to find that NME concerts were held past 1968?

By the way, I just ordered the book: 'Rolling Stones Unseen Archives". I think this book has still photos of the Stones on stage from 12 May 1968. Somewhere, I've seen a photo of Pallenberg, faithfull and perhaps Spanish Tony cheering the band from the stands...

Date: October 20, 2005 20:11

Hey:

Found this online. It is the line-up for the 1967 NME Poll-winners show. Exact date unknown, but it was in Spring 67 (May?):

"All Set for Another Big Big NME Poll-Winners Concert [Spencer Davis, Paul Jones, Alan Price, Dusty Springfield, Cliff Richards, Cat Stevens, Tremeloes, Troggs, Small Faces, Georgie Fame, Stevie Winwood, Beach Boys, Cream, Others]"

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: October 20, 2005 20:15

>> The Rolling Stones Unseen Archives"
I think this book has still photos of the Stones on stage from 12 May 1968 <<

[iorr.org]

"What do you want - what?!"
- Keith

Posted by: Tseverin ()
Date: October 20, 2005 20:19

The following is from Nico Zentgraf's site which is very reliable:

680512A 12th May: Wembley, Empire Pool, 'NME Pollwinners Concert’
- Jumping Jack Flash (MJ/KR)
- Satisfaction (MJ/KR)

680512B 12th May: UK TV (ITV) 'Time For Blackburn', Wembley.
- parts from the 'NME Pollwinners Concert'
- interview with MJ
Note: Televised on the 18th May.

I think that confirms that it was filmed.

Date: October 20, 2005 20:20

Thanks guys...

I found this link [www.nmeawards.com] will Pollwinners shows listed, first started in 1953!

redrum

Date: October 20, 2005 20:21

Regarding the 1968 film of Stones: Nico is certainly a reliable source in my opinion! OK, cool!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2277
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home