Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Ever have a Stones encounter????
Posted by: tat2you ()
Date: October 19, 2005 21:14

shuck hands w/ charlie and kieth once......my bro sat across from richards on a airplane once.... *** and if you could what would you say????***

Re: Ever have a Stones encounter????
Posted by: Leonard Keringer ()
Date: October 19, 2005 21:15

tat2you Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> shuck hands w/ charlie and kieth
> once......my bro sat across from richards on
> a airplane once.... *** and if you could
> what would you say????***

id say....you got a cig?

Posted by: Jazzman5 ()
Date: October 19, 2005 22:06

I stood in line at Tower Records in NYC to meet Keith once. So I had 6+ hours to think about what I was going to say. After the long wait, the anxiety of seeing one of my heros, I simply approached him and said,
"Keith, I want to thank you so much for the twenty plus years of great rock and roll you have given me", "how much I loved his music", and "what an influence he had on me". He actually stood up and we shook hands! He signed his new CD, Main Offender, addressed to me. A moment etched in my brain, for sure.

I was able to shake Mick's hand in Boston '97 at the Four Seasons Hotel, and thank him for yet another great show. That was an amazing time; hanging at the hotel bar after the show with Keith's Dad Bert, Bernard, Babi, & the horns section. Funny, I remember the Stones things, but have trouble with so many other thingssmiling smiley

Ronnie threw his cranberry & tonic at me during a show, after we were screaming RONNIE!!! at the show's end. Good days with Mike the Hammer!!!

Date: October 19, 2005 22:09

Jazzman5 Wrote:
> I stood in line at Tower Records in NYC to meet
> Keith once. So I had 6+ hours to think about what
> I was going to say. After the long wait, the
> anxiety of seeing one of my heros, I simply
> approached him and said,
> "Keith, I want to thank you so much for the twenty
> plus years of great rock and roll you have given
> me", "how much I loved his music", and "what an
> influence he had on me". He actually stood up and
> we shook hands! He signed his new CD, Main
> Offender, addressed to me. A moment etched in my
> brain, for sure.
>
> I was able to shake Mick's hand in Boston '97 at
> the Four Seasons Hotel, and thank him for yet
> another great show. That was an amazing time;
> hanging at the hotel bar after the show with
> Keith's Dad Bert, Bernard, Babi, & the horns
> section. Funny, I remember the Stones things, but
> have trouble with so many other things
>
> Ronnie threw his cranberry & tonic at me
> during a show, after we were screaming RONNIE!!!
> at the show's end. Good days with Mike the
> Hammer!!!

Jazzman...great story thanks for sharing!!!!

Posted by: chippy ()
Date: October 19, 2005 23:24

it was time 4 the band 2 go 2 the show & when i shook keiths hand comin out of 4 seasons in philly i wouldn't let go ,,so i held his hand all the way til he got in the van ,,, he got a kick out of it

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: October 19, 2005 23:56

first show of b2b i dressed as mick from '69. had first seat by walkway in row 22. As keith came by and saw me , he busted out laughing and gave me a high five. Not a real encounter, still pretty cool.

Posted by: Reptile ()
Date: October 20, 2005 00:31

J.J.Flash Wrote:
> first show of b2b i dressed as mick from '69. had
> first seat by walkway in row 22. As keith came by
> and saw me , he busted out laughing and gave me a
> high five. Not a real encounter, still pretty
> cool.

I think it's an encounter. And a cool one at that!

Date: October 20, 2005 00:32

J.J.Flash Wrote:
> first show of b2b i dressed as mick from '69. had
> first seat by walkway in row 22. As keith came by
> and saw me , he busted out laughing and gave me a
> high five. Not a real encounter, still pretty
> cool.

great story....not likely to be forgotten (understatement)

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: October 20, 2005 01:21

I was at that Keith Tower Records thing too. I was talking to Jane Rose for a while before hand getting in the autograph line, so when it was my time to get my autograph, Jane comes over to the table, and she say's "Keith, Keith, this is Cindy, we really like her, write something nice, write "to Cindy Love Keith". Keith laughed, and smiled at me. I don't remember what else was said, I was busy floating, but I do remember walking away and turning back and he winked at me (not sexually or anything). It was awesome!!!

I got Ronnie's autograph at the Harvard Coop in Boston when his book came out. I asked him if I could kiss him on the cheek and he said yeah, and came around the table. Everyone laughed, including Jo. She was real sweet about it.

The coolest though was at the Songwriters Hall of Fame the year Mick and Keith were inducted. I was at the table right next to Keith and Patti. At one point I went to the ladies room, and when I was walking back, Keith was walking right towards me going to the men's room. I was completely taken aback to see him, I froze for a second, and just said hi. He said hi back, but he seemed really shy when he was by himself like that.

Wasn't looking too good, but I was feeling real well.

Date: October 20, 2005 01:27

Now that I'm thinking about it, I've had a few more.

- At the Main Offender tour, I managed to get passes for the meet and greet at the Beacon in NYC. They were taking pictures of Keith with some of the record company people. We waited forever and when it was my turn, my friend ran over, but I froze again. My friend goes "Cindy, come on!" So Keith puts out his arm for me to get next to him and goes "Cindy, Cindy, Cindy, hehehe". I managed to somehow walk over there and and got to put my arm around him while he put his arm around me. I told him how much I liked the show and he said "you liked it, eh??" The pictures were taken and then I saw Jane Rose again and talked to her, she remembered me from the Main Offender thing. The Virgin Records people sent over the framed picture, which was cool. I asked for the negative, and when I got it, I saw that there were two pictures that were taken. When I had it developed - this is REALLY COOL - Keith looks like he's looking down my shirt!!! I don't know if he was, but it sure looks that way. I LOVE THAT STORY!!!

I am going to savor that story for a few more minutes before I type anything else.

Wasn't looking too good, but I was feeling real well.

Date: October 20, 2005 01:27

great story CindyC...sometimes people who seem like extroverts on stage, quite often seem shy & unassuming off stage...maybe its a defense mechanism because theyre frequently approached by "strangers"?...whatever it is...to me, its refreshing when they're low-key off-stage....best wishes

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2005-10-20 02:10 by Leonard Keringer.

Posted by: Debra ()
Date: October 20, 2005 01:41

I've met Mick Twice, both times exception encounters but not long ago I got a ton of crap for telling about it on this very board so if anyone wants to hear about my meeting Mick in the bar/restaurant at the Westin Hotel in Montreal, email me: mickschix2@aol.com. I'll give the Reader's Digest version. Lots happened so it is a LONG TALE!

Posted by: gregsmart79 ()
Date: October 20, 2005 13:36

I was at one of Bill's gigs last year, in Germany. I bought an 'autographed' copy of his book 'Rolling with the Stones' and was expecting a pre-signed copy. After handing over my money, the guy selling it told me to wait at the side of the kiosk... 5 mins later he gives me and another couple of guys VIP backstage passes! Another 5 mins pass and then we're taken off to the tour bus, where Bill is waiting! He signed my book for me, along with Terry Taylor and Beverly Skeete! Had a short chat with him and got a handshake, so it really made my night :-)

Dunno if this is the usual procedure, certianly not what I was expecting

Posted by: kuenzer ()
Date: October 20, 2005 13:38

Maybe Bill wants to have a look at his readers?

Can Mandy read?

Posted by: gregsmart79 ()
Date: October 20, 2005 13:41

kuenzer Wrote:
> Maybe Bill wants to have a look at his readers?
>
> Can Mandy read?

Course she can... who else reads his bedtime stories and makes him his cocoa?!

Date: October 20, 2005 14:32

My best 'Keith Encounter' story happened to a mate of mine, Jon, sadly I wasn't there to witness the sorry situation first hand.....

Back in the 80's Jon worked the winter months as crew on chartered private yachts sailing around the Caribbean, needless to say there was a certain amount of 'down time' between trips and so it was one balmy January evening in Antigua that Jon and his mate, Nick, were enjoying a few drinks on an increasingly heavy bar crawl. They ambled down the beach to the next, remote, bar sat down outside and Nick goes in to get the next round. Standing at the bar is Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck and Keith!! He comes out with the drinks, tells Jon he has seen his three guitar heroes and says I must go back in and say something to Keith. As the rum was taking its toll by this stage, Jon advised against it.....

Undeterred, Nick goes back into the bar, walks up to KR and blurts out "I love you Keith, but I wish you wouldn't play that Reggae stuff".

Keith slowly turns to him and utters the immortal words "F*** off, C***"!

Of course, it made Nick's day!

Date: October 20, 2005 16:29

Manofwealthandtaste Wrote:
> My best 'Keith Encounter' story happened to a mate
> of mine, Jon, sadly I wasn't there to witness the
> sorry situation first hand.....
>
> Back in the 80's Jon worked the winter months as
> crew on chartered private yachts sailing around
> the Caribbean, needless to say there was a certain
> amount of 'down time' between trips and so it was
> one balmy January evening in Antigua that Jon and
> his mate, Nick, were enjoying a few drinks on an
> increasingly heavy bar crawl. They ambled down the
> beach to the next, remote, bar sat down outside
> and Nick goes in to get the next round. Standing
> at the bar is Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck and Keith!!
> He comes out with the drinks, tells Jon he has
> seen his three guitar heroes and says I must go
> back in and say something to Keith. As the rum was
> taking its toll by this stage, Jon advised against
> it.....
>
> Undeterred, Nick goes back into the bar, walks up
> to KR and blurts out "I love you Keith, but I wish
> you wouldn't play that Reggae stuff".
>
> Keith slowly turns to him and utters the immortal
> words "F*** off, C***"!
>
> Of course, it made Nick's day!
>
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: March 10, 2006 02:37

I hadn't read this until now. Excellent stories, folks!

Date: March 10, 2006 02:56

I should talk more about that Songwriters Hall of Fame thing, because that was a big deal. Mick didn't show that night, but as I mentioned before, I was seated at the very front table from the stage, and Keith, Patti & Jane Rose were at the table next to me. My seat was directly in across from them so I was able to sit there and watch them the whole time without having to turn my head and have it be obvious. Other people were watching them too, so it wasn't as though I stood out.

Some general memories:
1. Patti and I both had on similar dresses and shoes which was awesome, she is stunning in person. It was a long black evening gown with a scooped out back that was cut square across the neckline. I only found out that I could go the day before, so I blew off most of work that day shopping for a new dress and shoes. After seeing Patti in a similar style I was glad I made that choice.

2. Keith was drinking, I'm pretty sure it was wine, and I remember at one point it looked as though Patti was giving him the eyes as he went to pour another. It wasn't a bitchy look, just slightly disapproving in a "boys will be boys" way.

3. I think and hold on a second, this one always makes me throw up a little, that it was either Peter Cetera or someone from the Moody Blues that had to go on stage for one point. I consciously watched Keith's reaction, because I never liked either of those bands, and I was hoping Keith didn't either, but I thought, perhaps they are old friends. But nope, Keith didn't clap or even look towards the stage, he had a sort of disguested look on his face. That made me feel good, that we both had disdain for the same bands.

I already mentioned how I saw him as I was coming back from the bathroom. I remember thinking it was weird to see him all by himself just he and I, the only two in that hallway. I was so stunned, I literally stopped walking, he actually realized I recognized him, and my stopping sort of startled him too. But I just said hi. As much as I love him, and as much as I knew that I wouldn't ever get another opportunity like that, I just didn't feel right to talk to him then, other than the hi.

That was a really exciting night, what a fantastic opportunity!

Posted by: rovalle ()
Date: March 10, 2006 03:26

well i've posted this before but here goes again...i live and work in grand canyon nat'l park....about four years ago my boss (i work for a tour company) came to me and asked if i'd like to do a private ground tour for a group of four coming up from tucson the following day...i said yeah sure and he then informed me it was for some guy named ron wood...i looked at him and said what???? he laughed and said yup, ron wood and party ....i spent two hours that night trying to figure out what tape i should take along to play... i finally chose one of my blues mix tapes that started with bo diddley's "diddy wah diddy"....the next day i'm waiting at the airport when they land....i'm playing it cool like i don't know anything (which usually isn't hard to do) and greet the four, take them to my tour van and go up the road to the heliport where they were gonna do a quick air tour over the canyon...when they landed ron's wife and his buddy and wife were busy in the gift shop...ron came outside and had a smoke and as an older english gentleman walked up he saw ron and said "MR. WOOD!!!" shook his hand and walked into the heliport...ron turned to me and shrugged like saying,fans ya know...i smiled and said "well i wasn't gonna say anything but the first time i saw you on stage you were playing bass..."" his face lit up and he got real excited and asked where? i told him in L.A. at the shrine expo hall with ten years after and the moody blues...he was real friendly after that and chatted about them good old days....finally the rest of his party came out and he excitedly told his wife about my seeing him way back with jeff and she gave him an "oh please" look...we then proceded to drive into the park and i started doing my tour spiel...we made some stops and then i played the blues tape real low...ronnie got real excited again hearing bo and told me to turn it up....his wife gave him a hard look and told him something about "you promised" and asked me to lower the voulme and continue the tour spiel...he told her something to the effect of "but honey, it's bo diddley!" which didn't go over very well...we continued through the rim stops for a couple of hours and ron and i spent a few minutes here and there talking blues, jeff beck and keith...i really wanted to ask ronnie who the bigger chavala (spanish for little girl, slang for sissy) was, mick or rod the mod but i chickened out...they had lunch and i took them back to the airport...they asked about extended stays and tours and i said the coming fall was perfect but he said he was gonna be busy! five weeks later the licks tour was announced...i think i read later that he was re-habbing in tucson so i guess he was getting ready for the tour....my souvenir is a pix of me and ron on the rim...

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: March 10, 2006 04:08

great stories y'all. thanks for sharing.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1549
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home