Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

1963-64 Live stuff?
Posted by: ohcarol ()
Date: October 19, 2005 19:11

Is there anything from this period thats around?

Re: 1963-64 Live stuff?
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: October 19, 2005 19:36

sure! there's "live in the studio" stuff from BBC radio and Ready Steady Go and so on;
and the (beautiful!) 64 NME Pollwinners Concert is in circulation on various DVDs.

here's an example, from BBC radio, may 25th 1964:
[rapidshare.de]

~*the greatest rock & roll band in the history of everything*~
NME Pollwinners Concert, april 26th 1964, by Chris Walter

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2005-10-19 20:04 by with sssoul.

Date: October 19, 2005 20:15

there is also video and audio of the 1st netherlands gig cut short due to a fan riot. the funny thing is, the guy taping the show is standing at the side of the stage, and during "suzie q" fans steal micks microphone so he runs offstage and stands right next to the taper. the guy is asking him what happened and they have a brief conversation about it. dated about 64 i believe. i also recently found a stockholm show from around that time, but it is poor quality. the best early live recordings are the BBC stuff, as they would occasionaly have live broadcasts of gigs (cops and robbers anyone?). keep in mind this was when audience recording was futile-neither the equipment was there, and if it was it was all screaming fans. after 65 things started to improve.

A recording wqas auctioned off recently which is the earliest known stones recording from the crawdaddy club in 63. the set list looks amazing, but alas, it has yet to make into trading circles, as it went for a hefty fee.

Posted by: redrum ()
Date: October 19, 2005 21:15

Audio has been booted for years of the 26 April 1964 NME Pollwinners Show, at Empire Pool, Wembley.

The aborted (riot) show on 8 August 1964, Scheveningen, Holland, has also circullated.

I have also seen on private trade lists, about 5-10 minutes audio of the Invicta Ballroom show, at Chatham, England, from 15 March 1964. This is noteworthy in that drummer Mickey Waller was filling in for a vacationing Charile Watts! I believe this to be the oldest "live" concert in trader circulation.....

Within the last few years, a reel-to-reel tape of a Stones show(s) from Richmond(?) in 1963 was auctioned off to a private collector. It apperently contained titles, of which there are no other live recodrings by the Stones. As far as I know, this tape was never duplicated.

Date: October 19, 2005 21:21

et voila: the tape that was auctioned a couple of years ago.
wasn't it Mick who bought it?

Date: October 19, 2005 21:23

with sssoul-

Thats a great question! Didn't bv have a story about it in IORR?

redrum

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: October 20, 2005 00:17

with sssoul Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> sure! there's "live in the studio" stuff from BBC
> radio and Ready Steady Go and so on;
> and the (beautiful!) 64 NME Pollwinners Concert is
> in circulation on various DVDs.
>
> here's an example, from BBC radio, may 25th 1964:
>
>
>
> ~*the greatest rock & roll band in the history
> of everything*~
> NME Pollwinners Concert, april 26th 1964, by Chris
> Walter
>
>
>
> Edited 3 times. Last edit at 10/19/05 20:04 by
> with sssoul.

Thank you very much, great stuff ...

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 20, 2005 01:58

Contents of THE tape

Sale 9836, Lot 75
A rare reel-to-reel tape recording of the Rolling Stones at the Crawdaddy Club, Richmond, Summer, 1963, approximate running time 90 minutes
To be sold without copyright
Estimate: £20,000-30,000

1. Route 66 [complete]
2. Come On
3. Talkin' Bout You
4. Love Potion No.9
5. Roll Over Beethoven
6. Money
7. Pretty Thing [complete]
8. Jaguar & Thunderbird
9. Don't Lie To Me
10.Our Little Rendezvous [complete, Chuck Berry's rewrite of Good Morning Little Schoolgirl - this Berry song is unknown in any other version by the Stones]
11.You Got Me Running
12.Brown Eyed Handsome Man
13.Diddley Diddley Daddy [complete]
14.Money [complete

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 20, 2005 03:11

redrum Wrote:
>> I have also seen on private trade lists, about
> 5-10 minutes audio of the Invicta Ballroom show,
> at Chatham, England, from 15 March 1964. This is
> noteworthy in that drummer Mickey Waller was
> filling in for a vacationing Charile Watts! I
> believe this to be the oldest "live" concert in
> trader circulation.....

is that tape actually genuine? I'm not so sure that the reported source is correct

Posted by: G. the Cock ()
Date: October 20, 2005 06:49

Here we go:

"Cops And Robbers" live, Camden Theatre 64 (as requested)

[s38.yousendit.com]

Always a pleasure to listen to! Enjoy!!!

Truth is stranger than fiction

stoned greetings
G. The Cock

Date: October 20, 2005 20:52

Gazza-

No, I'm not certain its geniune. The list on which I saw it was compiled c1998. Perhaps since then new information has come to light? I'll stop citing it as the oldest Stones concert in general circulation. Thanks.

redrum

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: October 21, 2005 03:05

with sssoul Wrote:
> sure! there's "live in the studio" stuff from BBC
> radio and Ready Steady Go and so on;
> and the (beautiful!) 64 NME Pollwinners Concert is
> in circulation on various DVDs.
>
> here's an example, from BBC radio, may 25th 1964:

Ahh - just listen to that weaving of the two guitars. I would guess that Brian plays the high note licks and Keith the lower notes.

Posted by: stones40 ()
Date: October 22, 2005 04:22

Yes ssoul Mick bought the tape to prevent that swindler Allan Klein from making
even more money out of pre 1971 Stones songs.

Posted by: Happy Jack ()
Date: October 22, 2005 20:51

Does anyone have the march and august 1964 shows mentioned above? Despite there probably poor quality, I am still interested in early stones. I have the paris shows from 1965/66/67 and the beeb recordings, but I am trying to get as many early shows as I can.

Posted by: llaushin ()
Date: October 24, 2005 14:29

yeah where can we download that stuff?help please

Posted by: llaushin ()
Date: October 24, 2005 14:31

yeah where can we download that stuff?help please someone!

Date: October 24, 2005 14:35

Happy Jack Wrote:
> Does anyone have the march and august 1964 shows
> mentioned above? Despite there probably poor
> quality, I am still interested in early stones. I
> have the paris shows from 1965/66/67 and the beeb
> recordings, but I am trying to get as many early
> shows as I can.

The March show in Chatham doesnt exist. All that exists prior to August 1964 are recordings from shows made for TV or radio

The Scheveningen concert in August 1964 only lasted about 4 songs before the show was abandoned due to a riot. The sound quality on the circulating recording is abominable

I've always found it amazing that there isnt a single audience recording of a Stones show in North America prior to 1969. The only circulating concert (Honolulu 66) is from a show recorded for radio broadcast

Date: October 24, 2005 15:23

>> I've always found it amazing that there isnt a single audience recording of a Stones show in North America prior to 1969.
The only circulating concert (Honolulu 66) is from a show recorded for radio broadcast <<

maybe mid-60s tape recorders were a little too unwieldy to be successfully hidden in teenyboppers' pants.
it's not like there are huge quantities of mid-60s audience recordings of Stones concerts from *anywhere* in circulation, are there?
i mean, those 65/66/67 Paris recordings were made for broadcast as well, no?

"What do you want - what?!"
- Keith

Date: October 24, 2005 18:14

"I've always found it amazing that there isnt a single audience recording of a Stones show in North America prior to 1969. The only circulating concert (Honolulu 66) is from a show recorded for radio broadcast"

I wouldn't give up hope on additional early Stones shows. After nearly 40 years, audio of Beatles concerts have surfaced: from New Orleans ('64), Montreal ('64)...snippets of New York Shea ('66), Memphis ('66) have also come to light.
I think some of the audio snippets came from local TV-stations, reporting from the concerts....you can hear the band in the bcakground. Others, like New Orleans and Montreal--to my knowledge--are from in line recordings at the stadiums.

It's quite possible that tapes of pre-69 Stones shows are out there. I wouldn't hold my breath though.

Yes, from what I hear, the reported few minutes of the Stones show at Chatham (15 Mar 1964) is not geniune. Thus, the show from Holland (8 Aug 1964) is apprently the oldest circulating audio of any Stones show. (There is a recording, made especially for radio broadcast by the BBC, from Camden Theater, 19 March 1964. We already discussed the Richmond 1963 tape, owned by a private, non trading collector).

Date: October 24, 2005 21:37

Yeah, point being there are a few from Europe and (Australia) from 1964-67 that are from audience sources, albeit in low-fi quality. From America - zero.

Plus there are quite a lot of Dylan audience recordings in the era up to 1966 when he quit touring (although its noticeable again that most of the audience tapes on the '66 tour with The Band seem to also be from Europe).

As Msss Ssssoul says, maybe the tape recorders were a bit too cumbersome and you Americans all wore your pants a little too tight!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1579
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home