Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Coldplay stops touring for environmental reasons
Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: November 28, 2019 21:27

[www.cbsnews.com]

You may not like their music, but check this out:

Coldplay will no longer tour until shows are environmentally sustainable

By Sophie Lewis

November 22, 2019 / 12:34 PM / CBS News

Coldplay will not go on a world tour to promote its latest album, citing environmental concerns. The British band said it won't tour again until the shows can be done in a sustainable way. "We would be disappointed if it's not carbon neutral," frontman Chris Martin told BBC News Thursday. He said the band wants to figure out how a tour can be not only sustainable, but actually beneficial to the environment.

Traditionally, concerts have large carbon footprints and produce a massive amount of plastic waste. The travel of both fans and performers, lighting and merchandise all have negative environmental impacts. The band's latest album, "Everyday Life" was released globally Friday. Instead of a world tour, the band played two shows in Amman, Jordan, on Friday, which can be viewed globally for free on YouTube. Coldplay will also play one show on Monday at London's Natural History Museum. All proceeds from that performance will be donated to an environmental charity, BBC reports.

"Our next tour will be the best possible version of a tour like that environmentally," Martin said, referring to the band's last world tour in 2016 and 2017, which featured over 100 shows across five continents. "The hardest thing is the flying side of things," he said. "But, for example, our dream is to have a show with no single-use plastic, to have it largely solar-powered."

Martin said the band will spend the next couple of years figuring out how to develop a tour that actively benefits the environment."We've done a lot of big tours at this point," he continued. "How do we turn it around so it's not so much taking as giving?"

First published on November 22, 2019 / 12:34 PM

© 2019 CBS Interactive Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Drew

Re: OT: Coldplay stops touring for environmental reasons
Posted by: tupelo68 ()
Date: November 28, 2019 23:05

Good news !
smileys with beer

Posted by: gwen ()
Date: November 28, 2019 23:13

They should stop recording as well since streaming music, CDs and LPs also have a huge environmental footprint.

Also I wonder if having your audience fly to your shows is better than flying your show around the world.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: November 28, 2019 23:25

I guess I could come up with another couple of reasons

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: November 28, 2019 23:37

who said global warming was all bad? spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: November 28, 2019 23:45

Cold play against global warming

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: November 29, 2019 00:08

We should all stop living - right now! That´s the only way to save ourselves!

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: November 29, 2019 00:23

The latest gimmick, probably. Massive Attack (nice people, no doubt, with a name like that) issued a similar statement this week.

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: November 29, 2019 00:42

Let’s hope they stop making music for humanitarian reasons...

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: November 29, 2019 01:20

we should all go back and live in the jungle and caves. if thats the only way to rid ourselves of the guilt of having a high carbon footprint.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: November 29, 2019 02:12

Interesting and important subject, regardless which side you're on. Hopefully we're smarter than the humans that lived long before us. Sometimes I wonder.

Posted by: daniel t ()
Date: November 29, 2019 02:25

I was going to post something to the effect that it wouldn't be a problem if Coldplay also stop making music.... but you all summarized my opinion. Thanks ;-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-11-29 02:26 by daniel t.

Posted by: podiumboy ()
Date: November 29, 2019 02:39

I am entirely ignorant about these things, but I just had a thought. Wouldn't it be possible to use only local materials to build the stage in each city? Just send the specs to a competent design crew/construction company in the area and have the bones of the stage already built? Use local video screens. Use local sound/lighting equipment. That way, the only thing that needs to be transported for a touring band is human beings and their luggage. Seems like a band concerned about their carbon footprint could limit the amount of lugging shit around by outsourcing as much stuff locally as possible.

If it were feasible, more bands would do it this way, so it must not be. Seems like it'd be a good idea to me.

Posted by: StonedAsiaExile ()
Date: November 29, 2019 02:42

Stupid.

Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: November 29, 2019 04:25

podiumboy
I am entirely ignorant about these things, but I just had a thought. Wouldn't it be possible to use only local materials to build the stage in each city? Just send the specs to a competent design crew/construction company in the area and have the bones of the stage already built? Use local video screens. Use local sound/lighting equipment. That way, the only thing that needs to be transported for a touring band is human beings and their luggage. Seems like a band concerned about their carbon footprint could limit the amount of lugging shit around by outsourcing as much stuff locally as possible.

If it were feasible, more bands would do it this way, so it must not be. Seems like it'd be a good idea to me.

It's neither feasible nor economically viable to produce a concert in this manner. It would take a week to set up each show and the labor costs and logistics difficulties would make it impossible for a band to tour and make money. An alternative solution would be to do multiple shows in a particular city and have the fans travel to come see them.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2019-11-29 04:42 by TornAndFried.

Posted by: podiumboy ()
Date: November 29, 2019 04:35

StonedAsiaExile
Stupid.

Ok, @#$%& you. I was just thinking about ways to reduce carbon footprints, since that's what they seem to worried about. I even said that it probably wasn't financially viable, otherwise that's what people would do all the time. It'd work if they could just tour on a simple level like Chuck Berry used to, where all he toured with was a suitcase and a guitar case, and the venue was already set up for him to walk onstage and play.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-11-29 04:38 by podiumboy.

Posted by: StonedAsiaExile ()
Date: November 29, 2019 06:24

podiumboy
StonedAsiaExile
Stupid.

Ok, @#$%& you. I was just thinking about ways to reduce carbon footprints, since that's what they seem to worried about. I even said that it probably wasn't financially viable, otherwise that's what people would do all the time. It'd work if they could just tour on a simple level like Chuck Berry used to, where all he toured with was a suitcase and a guitar case, and the venue was already set up for him to walk onstage and play.

Didn't say you were stupid. Was referring to the fact that they have bought into the whole climate change nonsense. That's all. And yes, it's largely nonsense.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2095
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home