Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Why Defend the Stones ?
Posted by: jaggerlips ()
Date: October 19, 2005 02:32

I'm sick and tired of so call die hard fans defending the stones, even when they know they are sometimes wrong and being ripped off.
The band have played crap on this tour, they have become a golden oldies band playing their greatest hits, ticket prices are obsured. Yes I am moaning, but I have a right. I have travelled from the Uk to see the stones twice already on this tour. I bought tickets
to next saturdays show in Calgary, I'm still visiting Canada but the stones can play satisfaction for the 10000000 without me. Please dont shout me down and tell me where to go, because I am so angry, I love the stones but enough is enough...... Stop getting ripped off

Re: Why Defend the Stones ?
Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: October 19, 2005 02:34

u know where u can go

right to the atm so u can afford an overpriced t-shirt.

Posted by: jaggerlips ()
Date: October 19, 2005 02:38

Go ahead shout me down, why your at the concert J>J. F you can buy me an over priced t-Shirt because you like getting ripped off and looking at Mick as he counts his cash.
U know where u can go!

Date: October 19, 2005 02:39

jaggerlips Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm sick and tired of so call die hard fans
> defending the stones, even when they know they are
> sometimes wrong and being ripped off.
> The band have played crap on this tour, they have
> become a golden oldies band playing their greatest
> hits, ticket prices are obsured. Yes I am
> moaning, but I have a right. I have travelled
> from the Uk to see the stones twice already on
> this tour. I bought tickets
> to next saturdays show in Calgary, I'm still
> visiting Canada but the stones can play
> satisfaction for the 10000000 without me. Please
> dont shout me down and tell me where to go,
> because I am so angry, I love the stones but
> enough is enough...... Stop getting ripped off

The Stones are like heroin, a lifelong addiction. While you're dreaming of the good times you're gettin' milked. Waking up all the good dough is gone. I feel with you.

Date: October 19, 2005 02:40

i didn't even rip u dude. take a chill pill .
if i said u r wrong u f-ing ja g off, then i'd be ripping u. i agreed that it's overpriced. did u post this hoping for an arguement or what?

Posted by: Rickster ()
Date: October 19, 2005 02:41

Gee who in the hell pissed in your cherrios this morning.

Posted by: Leonard Keringer ()
Date: October 19, 2005 02:41

jaggerlips Wrote:

just out of curiosity jaggerlips...why did you go?

Date: October 19, 2005 03:05

Many real fans went in hopes of hearing something different.The Stones used to bring different songs on different tours but,now they have only played five new songs,a few covers,Sway once (they say they might not do it again),and all the rest songs that were played on previous tours,much of which - songs that were already played on recent tours many times.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 19, 2005 03:10

It seems like defending these guys is becoming a habit on here. I think everyone must admit that people and liflelong fans are getting a little(ok a lot) pissed off about these guys ripping people off. Do we love them ? Yes . Are they taking advantage of the fans. Yes. I have decided not to see them on this tour. I just can't justify paying $450 to see a two hour show of songs I have heard live more then a few times. I am really disapointed in some of this bands other antics to seperate people from there hard earned money . $30+ for a Tee Shirt. $32 for a damn hat . I just recieved an email from the RS web site touting 'charity tickets' . What a F ing sham that is. Oh you get to donate $100 to charity but they still get there $450. F them. If I want to donate money to people in need I can think of plenty of organizations better suited then theres or them to give it to . Ok there is my rant .

Posted by: johang ()
Date: October 19, 2005 03:17

They have a weeks rest to get their shit together, one can only hope.

Posted by: ohcarol ()
Date: October 19, 2005 03:50

Listen bro..you knew what the ticket prices were before you bought them..you pretty much knew the set list..its been the same for the last 20 years..its like complaining about the price of gas..It dosent do any good because you gotta have it right? Like Kris Kristoferson sang"Blame it on the Stones"

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: October 19, 2005 03:59

The Stones aren't ripping anybody off. There are a lot of good tickets available in the $150 range. You certainly don't have to pay $450 to go see them.

I'd like to see more variety in the setlist also, it is very frustrating. We all know they can do better and should be. Maybe later in the tour - there's still a long way to go. But they are playing quite a bit of stuff I'm really looking forward to experiencing in concert: the four new songs, She's So Cold which I have never seen them do, and a bunch of stuff that, while it has been played in recent years, is not performed at every show: All Down the Line, Get Off My Cloud, Paint It Black, Dead Flowers, Out of Control, etc.

I think some people are spoiled because they can afford to go to multiple shows. I say if you can afford it then more power to you, but the Stones don't owe you two different setlists just because you bought tickets to two different shows. Sure, I've seen them play Satisfaction, Jumping Jack Flash, Brown Sugar, etc. every time I've gone to a show (once each in 1989, 1994, 1997, 1999 and 2002). But it has been three years since I've seen them do those songs, and I'm looking forward to seeing them again.

Would I subsitute Moonlight Mile and Stray Cat Blues for a couple of the warhorses if I could? Absolutely. But the warhorses are all great, classic tunes, so my feelings are not hurt too badly. Oh no, I have to listen to Jumping Jack Flash, one of the greatest rock songs of all time, boo hoo!

Posted by: bv ()
Date: October 19, 2005 04:08

What happened? Did security treat you badly? What made you so upset? I see mostly smiling faces and happy fans both before and after the shows. I think you make an exception. But what was so bad? Each and every song? Every band member? The catering? The merchandise? Your hotels? Your travel? The drinks? I am looking for the reason why life sucks vs. the Stones you know.

Bjornulf

Posted by: stickydion ()
Date: October 19, 2005 04:27

I'm sick and tired of so call "critical" naggers and their meaningless moaning...

jaggerlips wrote:

(a) "The band have played crap on this tour"

Oh, yehhh?? The band have performed already 40 different songs. What song (or songs) out of 40 are you considering "crap", mr "i love the Stones" ?

(b) "They have become a golden oldies band playing their greatest hits"

Oh, yehhh? Are they performing every night less "warhorses" than on previous tours (no Gimmes Shelter, no SFM) yes or not? And, please, don't repeat the soooo big stupidity that "ABB tour is Licks Tour, number two". Look at the list of the 41 different songs. Are there 12 which been played ZERO times during Licks Tour (ABB tracks, covers, songs like She's So Cold, Sway, Get Off My Cloud, 19th Nervous Breakdown), yes or not? Are there 9 songs played only 1-10 times out of 117, yes or not? Are there another 9 songs played only 11-20 times during Licks Tour, yes or not?

(c) "But the stones can play satisfaction for the 10000000 without me"

Of course they can, of course they do it. What do you want? A concert without JJF, Satisfaction, Brown Sugar and SFTD? Have you ever thought what the hell the 95% of the big audiences are "dying" and paying for? Why are you "so angry"? Because the "so bad guys", the Stones, are refusing to perform only for you and for a bunch of moaning "hardcore fans"? Gimme a break...

Date: October 19, 2005 07:18

man, nothing is more irritating than someone(jaggerlips) posting some rips to rile people up, then disappearing so they don't have to respond. what a wimpy little jaggerlip. should be called jaggerwimp!

Posted by: TeleK ()
Date: October 19, 2005 07:53

You have two options :

1. spend money on the Stones (attend Concerts,buy CDs ....)
2 you save money

its your own decision.
jagger didnt force you .

thats my opinion

-----------------------------------------------------
Oh, give me the beat, boys, and free my soul
I wanna get lost in your rock and roll and drift away

Posted by: Space ()
Date: October 19, 2005 08:03

Listen the stones aren't the Greatful Dead- They are not going to mix up the set in crazy ways every night- they focus more on the performance. Not just the music, but the visualization of each song. Why do you think jagger keeps so in shape! When it comes to prices well I dont know about you but i would gladly throw 100 to 150 to see the greatest Rock n Roll band on the planet. How much do you spend on a football game, basketball, baseball, etc.... There are always surprises on each tour regardless, so keep your gripes logical-

Talkin bout the....

Posted by: Esky ()
Date: October 19, 2005 08:26

hey Stickydion - do you ever say anything "bad" about the Stones??
Is it always "perfect" in your eyes?

I have a feeling jaggerlips is referring to people like you!

Esky

Posted by: michel ()
Date: October 19, 2005 08:41

Stop this sick bullsht little baby!!!!!its your own choise to see them, I am a big fan offcourse I defent them they make me very happy!!!!!! sorry but you complainers sound like little spoiled children, suggestion, get layedsmiling smiley

Posted by: sunnybandyo99 ()
Date: October 19, 2005 09:00

Yes there setlist on every tour remains same

Date: October 19, 2005 09:48

Some people need to take a look at the set lists from past shows.They were different from tour to tour.Just because they all included Jumping Jack Flash and seven to eight other warhorses at each show does NOT make them the same on every tour.My previous post was based on fact.Some songs that might not strike you as rare now,were before.Look at the No Security Tour.Look at the Licks Tour arena shows - even in cities where they did not do multiple shows,mostly in '02 and the early part of '03.This coasting really started to become a problem after they left the U.S. in '03.I've attended quite a few shows in person in the past & I remember what was played.They don't have to drop Satisfaction.I was expecting them to continue pulling interesting songs out of their catalog.I knew there was some risk involved but,I made a judgement based on their recent habits.This point of view is simple and should be easy to understand.Why all of the confusion?

Posted by: kuenzer ()
Date: October 19, 2005 10:10

(a) The new album is great. Presumably because of the success of The White Stripes and
the like, Jagger saw that it is not necessary to join with Lenny Crapitz to be up to date. And
that helped, they just played as they wanted, not as they thought they would have to.

(b) How many songs of the new album have been played live? As a fan, I'd like to hear
once "Won't take long", for instance. Instead: "You can't always get what you, well,
if you try a little harder, you will probably see". Ah so.

(c) What was the newest song on the last live album, Keith-songs excepted? Neighbours?

(d) Jagger once said, as a reason for mimicking the oldies juke box, that in a stadium, you'd
have to be crowd pleasing. Well: no, you don't. A look at Presley's set lists of the
years 1975-1977 is instructive (-> Love Me Tender).

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: October 19, 2005 11:48

jaggerlips Wrote:

OK, point by point .......

They play Golden Oldies. YES, they do, but they also play (a) stuff off the new album (b) tributes to either Bob Marley or Ray Charles, and (c) other less well known songs - unless you're a diehard. It's called a COMPROMISE. If you were they, what would you do - assuming that you were a commercial enterprise and not a charity organisation, or is a charity organisation what you think they should be these days ?

They're playing crap. I don't know if you mean they're playing crap material, or whether you mean they're playing whatever material they choose - like crap. Either way, I couldn't agree. Flew to the States myself to see the three NY shows, thought they were playing fantastically, and although I too could personally live without hearing Satisfaction one more time, I just do not think they can do a show ANYWHERE these days without throwing in Satisfaction or its like. Seriously - do you ? If you do, I don't think you're a realist.

Ticket prices. Listen, it's simple. They charge it, and it'll either work for them or it won't. I paid 1 x $454, 1 x $350 and 1 x $185 for the three shows I attended. That was my choice. I could just as easily have declined. I'll go see them again, presumably you won't. I don't enjoy paying that much to go see them, and I do think THEY are limiting themselves somewhat, because at those sorts of prices you're hardly likely to be "treating" friends to a night out at the Stones, it's a bit too expensive of a "treat", so maybe these prices will turn round and bite them in the bum. But on the basis of how full the arenas and stadiums appear to be in the States so far, it would seem as if the prices have not put off significant numbers of people. So good luck to them. Bottom line, they DO charge, but for my money - they DO deliver !

Posted by: LA FORUM ()
Date: October 19, 2005 12:26

bv Wrote:
> What happened? Did security treat you badly? What
> made you so upset? I see mostly smiling faces and
> happy fans both before and after the shows. I
> think you make an exception. But what was so bad?
> Each and every song? Every band member? The
> catering? The merchandise? Your hotels? Your
> travel? The drinks? I am looking for the reason
> why life sucks vs. the Stones you know.
>
> Bjornulf

No, he was complainging about the band doing the same thing again without changing one tiny bit etc.

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: October 19, 2005 12:57

BECAUSE THE STONES HAve BECOME A LAS VEGAS ACT ALL YOU DIE HARDS LIKE ME.
ITs not about the music and its a way of life that everyone gets sucks into.
Most at the show care more about there rolling stones merchandise they bought
the shirts,caps,leather jackets then a first rate musical experience.Look they tried CYHMK and Sway and failed,Keith's comfort zone is to play war horses and not try obscure songs.They can,t play many of the songs from the golden era
without that guy named taylor or someone of his caliber.

Imagine a set list that has sway,moonlight,twfno,cyhmk,winter,I dont know the
reason why,traveling man,ventilator blues,stop breaking down,shine a light,
soul souvier,ETC ETC ETC.

Posted by: stickydion ()
Date: October 19, 2005 14:12

Esky wrote: "hey Stickydion - do you ever say anything "bad" about the Stones??Is it always "perfect" in your eyes?"

Of course i say. See for example my posts about the $450 ticket prices. Or see my posts about 1978 tour and the Love You Live period. Do you ever say anything "good" about the Stones? And now what do you think you do? Is what you say now an ANSWER to my answer to jaggerlips?? Gimme a break...

Date: October 19, 2005 14:19

The situation is the TAYLOR factor, he put his STAMP on those songs in the
STUDIO and made those songs classics and jagger and keith have this big
problem with this material, they stoled 1/3 credits from taylor,but since
his work is on these records and they cant erase his contributions,they will
always have this HUGE Credibility problem,when one looks at this body of work.

ITS ALL out there for generations to discover the golden era with taylor

Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: October 19, 2005 14:45

stickydion Wrote:
>
> And, please, don't> repeat the soooo big stupidity that "ABB tour is
> Licks Tour, number two". Look at the list of the
> 41 different songs. Are there 12 which been played
> ZERO times during Licks Tour (ABB tracks, covers,
> songs like She's So Cold, Sway, Get Off My Cloud,
> 19th Nervous Breakdown), yes or not? Are there 9
> songs played only 1-10 times out of 117, yes or
> not? Are there another 9 songs played only 11-20
> times during Licks Tour, yes or not?
>

Dam good argument sticky, well put.

Karl

Date: October 19, 2005 14:56

So they are playing more songs, they still sound canned to me since 1981,
rock and roll is sweat,attitude,improvisation,connecting with the crowd,
not some big stage with backup singers and musicians.

maybe keith should check out gov,t mule the next time they are in NY.

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: October 19, 2005 15:09

"maybe keith should check out gov,t mule the next time they are in NY."

Agree, OpenG. Nice opportunity for some inspiration.

But please, quit presenting Mick T. as the solution to each and every Stones related problem.

regards, e.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1592
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home