Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Things people say about the Stones
Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: October 11, 2019 11:27

It's fascinating to see how people read things. Reading Hairball's piece over and over again, I can only see humor in it. Him naming the Stones a funk band without Bill, to me just feels like a teasing joke and nothing more. The key, I think, is "hidden" in the words "Of course not".
smileys with beer

Date: October 11, 2019 12:05

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-10-11 12:05 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: October 11, 2019 12:58

shortfatfanny

Interview with Bill Flanagan, www.telegraph.co.uk. April 13, 2009.

And this is being said by the laureate of the Nobel Prize for Literature.

Let's frame it and hang it prominently on our living room walls.

Amen.

d.f

PS: And what a heck of an argument this quote is in discussions.

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: October 11, 2019 13:58

-Hmm, what about this: A door to door Christian, who never have been a Stones fan, said when the band figured at the top of the newspaper Dagbladet`s front page in 1989, when they visited Norway, that they were ugly. In relation to their boat trip on the Oslo fjord, when I said that they were pretty unpredictable, another one said: "-And guess why; that`s because they are on drugs!"

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 11, 2019 14:06

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 11, 2019 14:53

To me that Dylan quote in its context doesn't sound anything different what many of us die-hard fans here say. Many of us feel that something crucial was lost when Bill was gone. But still that fact doesn't contradict with the other fact that the Stones are the greatest rock and roll band, with or without Wyman (or Jones or Taylor), now and forever.

But, as usual, how serious Dylan is in anything he says, hard to say... But of any people, that's the best thing I ever heard!

Makes me remember the story of Jimi Hendrix always carrying with himself the piece of paper in which Dylan appraises his version of "All Along The Watchtower" and says soemthing to the effect that 'Jimi should cover any song of his if he does such a great job'. I wonder if Bill Wyman might do the same with that quote of Bob's... grinning smiley Namely I don't recall any big name ever recognizing the significance of Wyman for the Stones so strongly as Dylan does there...

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-10-11 14:56 by Doxa.

Date: October 11, 2019 15:03

Doxa
To me that Dylan quote in its context doesn't sound anything different what many of us die-hard fans here say. Many of us feel that something crucial was lost when Bill was gone. But still that fact doesn't contradict with the other fact that the Stones are the greatest rock and roll band, with or without Wyman (or Jones or Taylor), now and forever.

But, as usual, how serious Dylan is in anything he says, hard to say... But of any people, that's the best thing I ever heard!

Makes me remember the story of Jimi Hendrix always carrying with himself the piece of paper in which Dylan appraises his version of "All Along The Watchtower" and says soemthing to the effect that 'Jimi should cover any song of his if he does such a great job'. I wonder if Bill Wyman might do the same with that quote of Bob's... grinning smiley Namely I don't recall any big name ever recognizing the significance of Wyman for the Stones so strongly as Dylan does there...

- Doxa

Agree with Doxa. Dylan is Dylan; and everything he says is brilliant IMO. (Both Doxa and Dylan LOL) Even when he contradicts himself. It's like when someone says to you "You're wrong! You're wrong; even if you're right, you're wrong!"

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 11, 2019 19:52

georgie48
It's fascinating to see how people read things. Reading Hairball's piece over and over again, I can only see humor in it. Him naming the Stones a funk band without Bill, to me just feels like a teasing joke and nothing more. The key, I think, is "hidden" in the words "Of course not".
smileys with beer

Yeah I sort of saw it that way also (hard to say really), but for the sake of this thread thought it should be put in context....maybe he was drunk when he said it. winking smiley

And what if the interviewer didn't ask the follow up question "Do you really think the Stones are finished"?...Bob would have never had the chance to "correct" himself with that positive quote.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-10-11 19:55 by Hairball.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: October 11, 2019 20:59

Hairball
georgie48
smileys with beer

Yeah I sort of saw it that way also (hard to say really), but for the sake of this thread thought it should be put in context....maybe he was drunk when he said it. winking smiley

And what if the interviewer didn't ask the follow up question "Do you really think the Stones are finished"?...Bob would have never had the chance to "correct" himself with that positive quote.

I agree fully. It is one of the annoying problems of the media. Too often people tend to believe what they read without questioning. We all, me too sometimes, like easy ways out, but it can hurt people more than we like. The Stones (I remember 1967 so well) have been victims too often in those days. Lies almost destroyed the band. So it's great that stories in full surface when needed.
What song by the Stones is or comes close to be named a funk song? I'm not gonna make a thread with that question though ...
smileys with beer

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1366
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home