Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: OT: Metallica stuff
Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: December 1, 2022 20:35

Yes the show I bought tickets for is August 2-4 2024. IDK why the shows are on sale so far out. They could have waited until next year for them but maybe it has something to do with others on tour. Given how many people are touring next year I imagine this must be some sort of a logistics nightmare to keep all the shows straight for the venues.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: December 2, 2022 01:17

VoodooLounge13
Yes the show I bought tickets for is August 2-4 2024. IDK why the shows are on sale so far out. They could have waited until next year for them but maybe it has something to do with others on tour. Given how many people are touring next year I imagine this must be some sort of a logistics nightmare to keep all the shows straight for the venues.

+ they and/or LiveNation are collection interest off of millions of dollars worth of ticket sales.

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: December 2, 2022 03:41

crholmstrom
VoodooLounge13

+ they and/or LiveNation are collection interest off of millions of dollars worth of ticket sales.

They are also able to get insurance for the tour. Not sure that would work for some bands at an advanced age.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: December 2, 2022 12:39

crholmstrom
I just realized that the Seattle date isn't until Labor Day weekend 2024! Almost 2 years ahead of the show. I love Metallica but that's ridiculous!

Agreed. I can't think of anythihg more anti-climatic than going to a show two years after buying the tickets. The norm, when I started going to concerts 45 years ago, was 30 days. Sixty days at the very most. That was a big part of what made it fun and exciting.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: December 2, 2022 12:46

The real fun was when you had to camp all night on the street outside a ticket office to make sure you got one grinning smiley

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: December 2, 2022 15:14

two different shows with different setlists in each city is an interesting concept – what a pity that I'm not interested in Metallica.
I wish the Stones would adopt that concept

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: December 2, 2022 15:35

slewan
two different shows with different setlists in each city is an interesting concept – what a pity that I'm not interested in Metallica.

The Licks concept wasn't far away from it

Date: December 2, 2022 15:49

hockenheim95
slewan

I went to several shows on the Licks tour, also on Bigger Bang. I think Licks was the last great tour. There have been great shows since then but as a whole tour Licks was fantastic. Saw some great shows on Licks.

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: December 2, 2022 16:22

crholmstrom
hockenheim95
slewan

I went to several shows on the Licks tour, also on Bigger Bang. I think Licks was the last great tour. There have been great shows since then but as a whole tour Licks was fantastic. Saw some great shows on Licks.

This is a moot point. I attended all but one of the Licks shows in Japan, Budokan and both Tokyo and Osaka Domes. The Budokan show was fabulous, but the Dome shows overall felt like a downgrade from the astonishing B2B shows.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-12-02 16:27 by RisingStone.

Date: December 2, 2022 17:01

RisingStone
crholmstrom
hockenheim95
slewan

This is a moot point. I attended all but one of the Licks shows in Japan, Budokan and both Tokyo and Osaka Domes. The Budokan show was fabulous, but the Dome shows overall felt like a downgrade from the astonishing B2B shows.

Why is it a moot point? Japan is a pretty small sample size. I saw a great show at the end of B2B in an arena in Portland. Since it was in an arena it was almost more like a No Security show. I had a ticket at the side of the stage & Mick was 10 feet away from me at the start of the show. Both he & Keith visited later in the show, too. Back to Licks: I saw shows in all 3 configurations (stadium, arena & club) including back to back nights in Vegas (club & arena). The second night in Vegas was in MGM Grand (small arena) & it was Sticky Fingers night. Amazing. As good as the club show was the arena show was actually better. ON the tour, I saw several arena shows & 1 EA stadium & club. Bigger bang it was a mix of arenas & stadiums. 1 show was especially memorable in Seattle. Motley Crue opened & Ronnie partied too hardy. They essentially turned him down & he ran around doing goofy stuff. Keith (with assist from Blondie Chaplin) did all the heavy lifting on guitar. It was fantastic. 2 nights later in Portland Ronnie was back. The show was good but it wasn't as special as the one where Keith was doing all the lead work.

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: December 2, 2022 17:17

This started off as OT and has become so OT that it's on topic (Stones).

Date: December 2, 2022 18:15

NashvilleBlues

Haha, sometimes it's a thin line. I try to stay on the topic at hand but you do want to respond to stuff. Back to Metallica & buying tickets 2 years in advance: I'll be doing good if I'm alive in 2 years let alone going to shows. I'm not in a good position to make long term plans like that. As much as I'd love to see them one more time I just can't commit the money. I'll have to hope I'm around for an arena tour sometime. I've seen Metallica in a lot of stadium shows & a fair amoutn of arena shows. In recent years I've become a pretty big F1 fan. I'd love to go to the first Vegas Grand Prix but they wanted money for tickets a year in advance. I just can't do it for the same reasons that I can't do the Metallica tickets now. The health issues are overwhelming right now & I don't have a clear sign they're going to get better.

Date: December 2, 2022 19:18

crholmstrom
NashvilleBlues

Haha, sometimes it's a thin line. I try to stay on the topic at hand but you do want to respond to stuff. Back to Metallica & buying tickets 2 years in advance: I'll be doing good if I'm alive in 2 years let alone going to shows. I'm not in a good position to make long term plans like that. As much as I'd love to see them one more time I just can't commit the money. I'll have to hope I'm around for an arena tour sometime. I've seen Metallica in a lot of stadium shows & a fair amoutn of arena shows. In recent years I've become a pretty big F1 fan. I'd love to go to the first Vegas Grand Prix but they wanted money for tickets a year in advance. I just can't do it for the same reasons that I can't do the Metallica tickets now. The health issues are overwhelming right now & I don't have a clear sign they're going to get better.

I know. Just messing with ya. Hope your health improves. Here's to a long life! smileys with beer

Date: December 2, 2022 19:25

NashvilleBlues
crholmstrom
NashvilleBlues

I know. Just messing with ya. Hope your health improves. Here's to a long life! smileys with beer

thank you

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: December 3, 2022 00:58

crholmstrom
RisingStone
crholmstrom
hockenheim95
slewan

Why is it a moot point? Japan is a pretty small sample size. I saw a great show at the end of B2B in an arena in Portland. Since it was in an arena it was almost more like a No Security show. I had a ticket at the side of the stage & Mick was 10 feet away from me at the start of the show. Both he & Keith visited later in the show, too. Back to Licks: I saw shows in all 3 configurations (stadium, arena & club) including back to back nights in Vegas (club & arena). The second night in Vegas was in MGM Grand (small arena) & it was Sticky Fingers night. Amazing. As good as the club show was the arena show was actually better. ON the tour, I saw several arena shows & 1 EA stadium & club. Bigger bang it was a mix of arenas & stadiums. 1 show was especially memorable in Seattle. Motley Crue opened & Ronnie partied too hardy. They essentially turned him down & he ran around doing goofy stuff. Keith (with assist from Blondie Chaplin) did all the heavy lifting on guitar. It was fantastic. 2 nights later in Portland Ronnie was back. The show was good but it wasn't as special as the one where Keith was doing all the lead work.

I saw 5 shows of the B2B and Licks Japan tours on respective occasions, i.e. 10 shows in all — think enough number to make a decent comparison between them. We didn’t get a club show for Licks, but the contents of the Budokan show were an amalgamation of the club and arena shows so to speak, in that respect it was unique. However, that unforgettable giant retractable bridge of the B2B show was replaced with a standard catwalk on the Licks show. I understand the same prop cannot be used for another tour, but I couldn’t stop feeling the Licks stage for the dome show was far less spectacular than those of the SW/VL/B2B tours.
As for Bigger Bang, I only caught two shows, Tokyo 2nd night and Nagoya, both at domes. The new stage was utter lavishness and I didn’t like it. For me, it encapsulated the so-called ‘Vegas era’ more than any other modern Stones shows of the post-1989. The performance at the Tokyo Dome was simply outstanding, though — it was better than any of the Licks dome shows I had attended.

Date: April 10, 2023 22:13

I am really looking forward to the new album!!!! Metallica seem to be shredding it up with the first 4 songs. It's incredible. They've really found their second birth if ya ask me!!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-04-10 22:27 by VoodooLounge13.

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: April 10, 2023 22:39

VoodooLounge13
I am really looking forward to the new album!!!! Metallica seem to be shredding it up with the first 4 songs. It's incredible. They've really found their second birth if ya ask me!!!!

Good to hear. Metallica's L.A. twofer is just six weeks before Power Trip, which removes much of the reason to schlep to the desert. I've seen them 14 times, but not since their 2005 opening gigs for the Stones. Time to ride the lightning again.

Date: April 10, 2023 23:22

I thought they were great live in '17. Very much looking forward to seeing them next year in Foxborough.

Posted by: Milan ()
Date: April 11, 2023 15:46

14 times, Dean? Way to go... Was one of these with Cliff?

Edited to add: did anyone here see Cliff live? How did that bass sound?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-04-11 15:58 by Milan.

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: April 11, 2023 19:51

Milan

No Cliff, alas. But a couple of club shows and MTV things.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 11, 2023 20:23

Milan

Yes I saw Metallica open for Ozzy at the Long Beach Arena in 1986 - several months before Cliff died.
Back when they were truly a great band having recently released Master of Puppets, their overall sound and entire set was heavy duty to the extreme.

Posted by: Captainchaos ()
Date: April 11, 2023 22:37

crholmstrom
RisingStone
crholmstrom
hockenheim95
slewan

This sounds interesting, both for hearing Keith and seeing Ronnie. I can only find this one phone vid clip tho. Does anyone have anymore of Seattle 30.10.2005?

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: April 18, 2023 17:17

Metallica weren't allowed to make eye contact with Mick Jagger when they supported the Rolling Stones

By Paul Brannigan
4/17/23

Lars Ulrich's dreams of partying 'til dawn with Keith Richards when Metallica played with the Rolling Stones were somewhat wide of the mark

Tim Saccenti

Lars Ulrich has revealed that Metallica were told not to make eye contact with Mick Jagger when they supported The Rolling Stones.

Metallica played two shows with the Stones at SBC Park (now Oracle Park) in their San Francisco hometown on November 13 and 15, 2005, the first time they had performed as special guests to anyone since 1992, and at the time, Ulrich described the opportunity as "an honour and a privilege."

But in new interview with Bill Maher on his Club Random with Bill Maher podcast, the Danish drummer reveals that he and his bandmates were instructed not to look vocalist Mick Jagger in the eye when he walked through the stadium's backstage area.

"At that time we had played shows over our career with Deep Purple, with AC/DC, with a few other bands, all the bands that I had posters on on my wall when I was a kid, and so the last one of those boxes to check was the Stones," Ulrich tells Maher.

"So we're sitting backstage, and - and this is in no way a judgment on the Stones, this is really more about us - at one point a a personal assistant or whatever comes and says, 'Mick Jagger's gonna walk through here in a couple minutes, he's going over to his private gym in his truck, and he's going to warm up before the show. When he walks through here, please don't make eye contact with him or talk to him'.

"So we're sitting there going, What? He has a truck with a portable gym in it? He goes and warms up for 30-45 minutes before he goes on stage? Cue Hahaha, Oh my God! Now guess who's got a truck with a gym in it? Guess who's got a Peloton bike on the road with us? Guess who's got a chef who walks around and makes us protein drinks and all kinds of other nasty stuff?"

At this point Maher interrupts and suggests that the more significant point here is not that Jagger warms up before gigs, but that others are instructed not to look him in the eye. Ulrich then says that the only contact that the band were permitted to have with the Stones, was having a photo taken with the band as they walked to the stage.

He adds: "I had dreams, like, I thought, we're gonna play with the Rolling Stones and you know where I'm gonna spend my whole time, is in Keith Richards hotel room, sitting at one of those legendary parties 'til nine o'clock in the morning: I'll be the last one to leave! It wasn't exactly like that."

"I always go and say hello to our support act: I look them in the eye, I ask them if there's anything they need. It's a human thing; if somebody comes out and plays on a Metallica stage I want them to feel at home."

[www.loudersound.com]
--
Full interview - [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: sdstonesguy ()
Date: April 18, 2023 17:40

"I always go and say hello to our support act: I look them in the eye, I ask them if there's anything they need. It's a human thing; if somebody comes out and plays on a Metallica stage I want them to feel at home."

The way it should be...but Kirk is from El Sobrante...the Salt of the Earth.

Let me tell you, these Metallica guys are damn decent people (or at least where 30 years ago). Dinner at Kirk's mother's house before local gigs and damn friendly to the neighbor. Hetfield used to play some mean pinball too.

Date: April 18, 2023 17:42

Don't look Mick in the eyes? Salt of the Earth, huh? Haha!

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: April 18, 2023 18:36

Curious to see the sales numbers of their new album, 72 Seasons, which was released last Friday. Massive marketing efforts including a Global Premiere Watch party in movie theaters last Thursday night, independent record store listening parties all over the land on Friday, multiple LP variants, CD's, videos, streaming services and even a cassette offering.

Large merch offering, contests and world-wide press.
New tour with a massive in-the-round stadium stage setup begins just in a few weeks' time.

Sales look to be very strong.

Date: April 18, 2023 18:47

Kurt
Curious to see the sales numbers of their new album, 72 Seasons, which was released last Friday. Massive marketing efforts including a Global Premiere Watch party in movie theaters last Thursday night, independent record store listening parties all over the land on Friday, multiple LP variants, CD's, videos, streaming services and even a cassette offering.

New tour with a massive in-the-round stadium stage setup begins just in a few weeks' time.

I like it. It's very solid. One of their best 3 albums (Death Magnetic and Hardwired...) since The Black Album. They're a well-oiled machine. There are definitely some nice riffs and Lars' playing is interestingly good, but they aren't taking any risks or pushing any boundaries here (like Mastodon, for example). It's not a bad thing, but they're like AC/DC now. High floor, low ceiling.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: April 18, 2023 22:09

Just turned the radio on... Heard some metal and after 5 seconds I said to myself "hey this is a track off the new Metallica album..."

Keeping a distinctive recognizable style is no small achievement in a field where 95% of metal bands sound more or less alike. thumbs up

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: April 18, 2023 22:46

Masters of puppets ...
[www.youtube.com]

Date: April 18, 2023 23:45

Kurt

It was the top seller on Amazon as of yesterday. It's friggin great. I really enjoy it. Think I might prefer Hardwired by a milli-hair, but they have definitely rediscovered their sound, between Magnetic, Hardwired, and this one. I do think St. Anger is a damn fine album too, though I know most despise it. S&M2 was a letdown for me, and LuLu, well, there's just nothing to say. The Load's had some great tracks, but it would have been a magnificent single album - better probably than the Black album even. But they are most definitely back. And I just got notice last night that they're going to live stream 2 of their shows this summer in theaters all over the world - there's an avenue our boys haven't tried yet.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1793
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home