Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Chuck is NOT a Rolling Stone
Posted by: sladog ()
Date: October 17, 2005 05:49

bv Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't see the problem.
>
> First of all Chuck was at home ground in Atlanta
> Georgia last night, so no wonder he was happy
> dancing and enjoying being "home". What is the
> problem with being happy? I saw the show and I did
> not notice that Chuck took away any attention from
> the "four boys"...
>
> Secondly Chuck is an important part of the show.
> There are 6 core people at the show. The four
> Stones + Chuck and Darryl. You may like or not
> like Chuck personally but for the band he is very
> important. And he is not high up in the mix, so
> forget about it. Everything is cool.
>
> Bjornulf

Bjornulf, you must not have paid much attention then. During the intro...Chuck came to the front of the stage and did the "come on" wave meaning give me more applause he then did the hand to the ear thing meaning "I can't hear you..get louder". On the small stage he was dancing around during Get off my cloud and during HTW.

Also, I hate to break it to you buddy but Chuck does NOT rank up there with Darryl. Darryl replaced a Stone. Chuck did not. I am not calling Darryl a Stone. Don't get me wrong but Chuck did not replace a Rolling Stone.

Also, I would put Lisa and Bernard FAR above Chuck.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: October 17, 2005 05:58

The show lasted for 116 minutes. You see what you want to see. May be Chuck had his 10 seconds of fame in Atlanta. So what? If you really hate Chuck then I am sorry about that. Then seing him on stage is a pain I guess. But for me it was two hours of Stones music. No worries. I don't mind Chuck at all. In fact he is the glue that keeps things together but most people don't think that way I suppose. By the way it is also very much up to you. Where you place your eyes. I am way too busy wathing other things on stage to worry about who is taking away 10 seconds of attention from the fab four.

Bjornulf

Date: October 17, 2005 06:02

FYI... Two out of three IORR visitors are from USA. So just like in the real world Europe is smaller than the rest of the world. Even here. IORR happens to be based in Europe but the fans and the visitors are from all over the world. No need to make artificial barriers or conflicts. We are all in the same boat.

Bjornulf

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: October 17, 2005 07:36

Nicky Hopkins was a cool, low-key, genius, and everything that he did in the studio with the Stones sounds great today. Stu and Nicky on keyboards were, in my opinion, more important to the Stones sound in the 68-74 era than Mick T was. By far.

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: October 17, 2005 07:45

sladog Wrote:

> Chuck does NOT rank up there with Darryl. Darryl
> replaced a Stone. Chuck did not. I am not calling
> Darryl a Stone. Don't get me wrong but Chuck did
> not replace a Rolling Stone.

Depends on how you look at it. If he replaced Stu then he replaced a former member of The Rolling Stones, pre-AOL. Or didn't they have a regular keyboardist before Chuck?

Posted by: LA FORUM ()
Date: October 17, 2005 09:32

sladog Wrote:
> Can someone please inform him of this? In
> Atlanta, during the B Stage, he was out dancing
> around while they played...shaking hands and
> literally dancing 5 ft from the Piano!!!!!!
> During the song!!! When he went to take his bow
> when introduced he went to the front of the stage
> and played to the crowd for over a minute.
>
> He is NOT a Stone..just a conceited idiot!

Hahaha! LOL. Yeah, he's just bad and ugly. But, as I said, they are not the same band anymore, they are a Vegas-group of performers.

Posted by: bartman ()
Date: October 17, 2005 09:37

bv Wrote:
> I don't see the problem.
>
> First of all Chuck was at home ground in Atlanta
> Georgia last night, so no wonder he was happy
> dancing and enjoying being "home". What is the
> problem with being happy? I saw the show and I did
> not notice that Chuck took away any attention from
> the "four boys"...
>
> Secondly Chuck is an important part of the show.
> There are 6 core people at the show. The four
> Stones + Chuck and Darryl. You may like or not
> like Chuck personally but for the band he is very
> important. And he is not high up in the mix, so
> forget about it. Everything is cool.
>
> Bjornulf

That's exactly what I wanted to say. Chuck is from Atlanta, Georgia. Give the guy a break when he's playing in his home town.
He's not a pain in the arse for the Stones otherwise they kick him off stage

Posted by: Space ()
Date: October 17, 2005 09:39

I used to bash chuck until I recently read that he is the driving force when introducing rare songs into the setlist- example: it was chuck that pushed for sway- so i'm laying off, and until his antics and sound get to the billy preston '76 level (very annoying) - I'll keep my negative comments about him to myself. Plus you cannot deny that has been the glue in the recent past that has kept the stones from falling flat on many occasion.

Talkin bout the....

Date: October 17, 2005 09:39

"Like I said", not as I said. Sorry.

Posted by: Rank Outsider ()
Date: October 17, 2005 10:36

LA FORUM Wrote:
> "Like I said", not as I said. Sorry.

You are forgiven, bloke. You don't have to feel stupid, only because you don't master the very basics of English grammar.
Btw, Viva Las Vegas to ya fella.

Posted by: Esky ()
Date: October 17, 2005 10:46

I think the issue with Chuck is him trying to be in the spotlight, one of the main men.
We go to Stones shows to see Mick, Keith, Ron & Charlie - not some backing musician.

I understand his role in the band and I'm ok with this (otherwise Keith & Ronnie would simply fall over without him), but he needs to know that no-one is at a Stones show to see him!

Esky

Date: October 17, 2005 10:49

Let him have his moment in his hometown (and place him behind the curtain for the rest of the tour smiling smiley)

Date: October 17, 2005 11:50

Rank Outsider Wrote:
> LA FORUM Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > "Like I said", not as I said. Sorry.
>
> You are forgiven, bloke. You don't have to feel
> stupid, only because you don't master the very
> basics of English grammar.
> Btw, Viva Las Vegas to ya fella.
>

Thanks! I were a bits woried foramile.

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: October 17, 2005 12:45

keith and wood can,t get by without the band leader, so why can,t the band leader
who provides the melody lines take a bow from time to time,gives the posers a
a needed break during the show.

Date: October 17, 2005 12:47

smiling smiley

Posted by: sladog ()
Date: October 17, 2005 13:14

> Where you place your eyes. I am way too
> busy wathing other things on stage to worry about
> who is taking away 10 seconds of attention from
> the fab four.
>
> Bjornulf

That is just it. I could not see the band due to Chuck dancing and getting in the way!!!!

Posted by: J-J-Flash ()
Date: October 17, 2005 16:13

Please, this post is ridiculous.

Posted by: HalfNanker ()
Date: October 17, 2005 16:18

Nicky Hopkins once claimed he had become the 6th Stone and Mick responded by saying there are five Stones and he's not one of them.

I have long thought Chuck was feeling like he had become a Stone and i agree with thos i here who thikn he needs to quiet down a bit and do his thing, there is only one 6th Stone and that was Ian Stewart, everyone else needs to know their place and stay in it.

Posted by: tat2you ()
Date: October 17, 2005 17:02

Chuck....he had some fun...whooopdety do.......i guess he is a home town boy...but he palys w/ the stones what does that make him a "stone" a "stoner" a "stonette?????"......he should relax a bit but if the boys allow it then so be it....

Posted by: martingo ()
Date: October 17, 2005 18:01

bv Wrote:
> FYI... Two out of three IORR visitors are from
> USA. So just like in the real world Europe is
> smaller than the rest of the world. Even here.
> IORR happens to be based in Europe but the fans
> and the visitors are from all over the world. No
> need to make artificial barriers or conflicts. We
> are all in the same boat.
>
> Bjornulf

certainly not trying to create conflict betwixt citizens of the USA and other countries.

On this side of the pond, we leave that job to our elected national leaders.

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: October 17, 2005 18:51

Me thinks we need to cut Chuck a little slack; I agree that he makes himself
out to be one of the Stones, but he plays a mean keyboard and adds to the emsemble, rather than take away...Was he the same way the the Allman Bros? That
seems to be his persona...
What's up with Blondie? He looks as if he's in his own little world..Was he the same with the Beach Boys...?

Posted by: G. the Cock ()
Date: October 17, 2005 19:12

There are but five Rolling Stones: Brian Jones, Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Charlie Watts and Bill Wyman. Ian Stewart was the sixth, but called out by Andrew Loog Oldham, nevertheless without him they wouldn't be on tour with A BIGGER BANG!
Stu is dead.
Brian is dead.
Bill left the band for personal reasons.
Nicky Hopkins was very very fine at his time, but he's dead, too.
Ian MacLagan did fit pretty well in 1978/81/82 but left the band for whatsoever - unfortunately in my opinion, cause I like his playing very much.
Mick Taylor had his moments at the 1969 tour and on the recording of GOATS HEAD SOUP but never fit the band really - and in reality his influence on the so-called "big three or four" albums was minimal! Most of the stuff on BEGGARS BANQUET and LET IT BLEED had nothing to do with Mick Taylor and EXILE had a lot more, if not most influence by Gram Parsons, hanging around with Keef these days!
Ronnie Wood is the only partner to Keef I can imagine getting the Stones sound like the Stones - so he is maybe a half stone, maybe a full one after 30 years. Imagine him playing on the 72 tour - it would have blown your socks off instead of Taylors diddledee on Chuck Berry numbers!!!
Now to the Rhythm section.
Until 1990 Charlie and Bill did the job, supported by Stu, sometimes Mac. After they've all left (not Charlie for god's sake!) they've been in need of someone who was able to held the band together physically (soundwise) and at least in the last years psychologically (as Stu did till his death).
Chuck Leavell is the man for a long time now and - come on folks - he does a great job! He's a f...ing great honky tonk piano man and a very sympathetic and smooth guy I feel! Yes, he'd been too much upfront in the mix on last tours, what the band corrected, as they've corrected the sound in general to a more Stones way actually!
Anyway, Chuck will never be a Stone - check the first line of the post - but it's good to have him on stage!

Truth is stranger than fiction

stoned greetings
G. The Cock

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-10-17 19:15 by G. the Cock.

Posted by: bruno ()
Date: October 17, 2005 19:20

G. the Cock Wrote:
> Mick Taylor had his moments at the 1969 tour and
> on the recording of GOATS HEAD SOUP but never fit
> the band really - and in reality his influence on
> the so-called "big three or four" albums was
> minimal! Most of the stuff on BEGGARS BANQUET and
> LET IT BLEED had nothing to do with Mick Taylor
> and EXILE had a lot more, if not most influence by
> Gram Parsons, hanging around with Keef these
> days!
> Ronnie Wood is the only partner to Keef I can
> imagine getting the Stones sound like the Stones -
> so he is maybe a half stone, maybe a full one
> after 30 years. Imagine him playing on the 72 tour
> - it would have blown your socks off instead of
> Taylors diddledee on Chuck Berry numbers!!!

Waiting for OpenG... grinning smiley

[There'll be no wedding today...]

Date: October 17, 2005 19:24

bruno, to me it's no hanging matter to have an own opinion, if OpenG (and a couple of more Taylor fanatics) doesn't want to hear it, it's no problem for me, but they all should check out reality for what I've said concerning MT's influence on BEGGARS BANQUET and LET IT BLEED - not too much to be true! and EXILE - nada!!!

stoned greetings
G. The Cock

Posted by: bruno ()
Date: October 17, 2005 19:28

Yep, I'd add that his influence on IORR is quite obvious, but I have to admit I mostly agree with you. But on the live work, well, I wouldn't touch the line-up in the early seventies, but it's an opinion. Anyway, I was only joking.

[There'll be no wedding today...]

Date: October 17, 2005 19:33

Don't get fooled bruno, I do love the 72 tour - it's been just a dream I had once - I often thought how the Stones would sound if Brian would still be there, must be amazing! And, at last, I think that it's a real pity Bill left, just imagine HIM playing the solo on "Rain Fall Down" like he did the one on the long "Miss You" version - getting goose bumps just thinking about it! Sorry, Darryl, you're fine, but you ain't Bill Wyman!!!!

stoned greetings
G. The Cock

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-10-17 19:34 by G. the Cock.

Date: October 18, 2005 00:57

For 119 out of 120 minutes during the show Chuck is doing his job playing the keyboards and not bugging those of you who ask for money back if something is between your eyes and MKCR. By the way he is important to the band and the show but that might not be important for you. Then for a minute or so he walk up and take a bow - a bow he deserves by the way - like it or not. If that is a problem then I am sorry. That is the band. MKCR. Then Chuck and Darryl. Then the rest of the band. Whether you like it or not.

Bjornulf

Posted by: uz2bstoned ()
Date: October 18, 2005 01:20

Why do keith and Ron need Chuck to follow the song? Plenty of bands don't even have a piano player. Usually you can follow the drums or listen to the bass line? Or do they all follow Chuck too?

Chucky seems like a nice guy. let him have his fun. I would rather him prancing up on stage and goofing around than high in the mix.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2685
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home