Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT - Should all bands have an official logo?
Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: August 25, 2019 17:52

I was thinking about this yesterday after watching Liverpool trash Arsenal. First I despise the sell out on the jersey front to "Fly Emirates" instead of a logo. That being said...

But I wondered, how many bands have official logos? We are all familiar with the Stones tongue logo and its evolving history. How does one identify with a band visually? Should the Beatles use an apple? Zeppelin a blimp or Zoso? Is it the band name or how it is written? Any thoughts.

Re: OT - Should all bands have an official logo?
Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: August 25, 2019 18:03

If we're talking about the band's name written in a specific particular font, colour etc, then I would say that all bands have a logo.

Posted by: blivet ()
Date: August 25, 2019 18:03

I was never wild about bands having logos. It seemed too corporate to me, and in my opinion an official logo also placed a needless restriction on album cover design, back when that was more of a thing.

"Cheap Trick" in the same presentation on every record, just to pick an example out of the air, just seemed kind of, I don't know, stifled.

I've always loved the tongue, but back in the day it was the logo for the band's record company rather than the band itself. I'm suppose I'm splitting hairs at this point, though.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: August 25, 2019 18:22

blivet
I was never wild about bands having logos. It seemed too corporate to me, and in my opinion an official logo also placed a needless restriction on album cover design, back when that was more of a thing.

Does a band become corporate once a contract is signed with a manager or when they get a record deal?

Posted by: keefmick ()
Date: August 25, 2019 20:03

Is a band really a band if they have no instruments?

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: August 25, 2019 20:05

The Sicilian
I was thinking about this yesterday after watching Liverpool trash Arsenal. First I despise the sell out on the jersey front to "Fly Emirates" instead of a logo. That being said...

What's on Liverpool's shirt?

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 25, 2019 20:08

keefmick

If a band plays in the woods and nobody hears them, are they really a band?

Posted by: blivet ()
Date: August 25, 2019 22:30

The Sicilian
blivet

Does a band become corporate once a contract is signed with a manager or when they get a record deal?

I meant it made the band look like a business. Which of course it is, or at least the members hope so. But I didn't like it, back when I cared about such things. Just my feelings and impressions, that's all. The thread is titled "should", after all.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-25 22:33 by blivet.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 26, 2019 00:12

There's only one band and they've got the greatest logo in da world …..

ROCKMAN

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: August 26, 2019 01:28

Hairball
keefmick

If a band plays in the woods and nobody hears them, are they really a band?

Maybe those guys know the answer...

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: August 26, 2019 02:48

Rockman
There's only one band and they've got the greatest logo in da world …..

And the most steady LOGO.......... where most of the big companies changed their logo the last 100 years 10 times or so the Stones officially logo didn't change (except for the first release)

Posted by: nick ()
Date: August 26, 2019 03:26

NICOS
And the most steady LOGO.......... where most of the big companies changed their logo the last 100 years 10 times or so the Stones officially logo didn't change (except for the first release)

There is a new tongue with each tour stop with Chicago and NJ for each date.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-26 03:31 by nick.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: August 26, 2019 03:43

I think symbolism has been around since the creation of mankind.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: August 26, 2019 05:29

Should every business have an official song?

Posted by: Javadave ()
Date: August 26, 2019 09:14

Here in the United States, the Grateful Dead's "Steal Your Face" logo is more ubiquitous than the Stones Tongue & Lips logo. It was designed in 1969, the year before the Stones' logo, to help differentiate the Dead's equipment cases from other bands gear when they were performing at multi-band festivals. It's development was more utilitarian than corporate.

Here's a good read about it:

[thebear.org]

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 26, 2019 09:28

Not so sure it's more ubiquitous than Stones Tongue & Lips logo in the United States, but maybe it is amongst deadheads.

Date: August 26, 2019 09:34

Well lets put it this way ……..

I aint never seen Paris Hilton in a "Steal Ya Face" T-shirt ……

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Javadave ()
Date: August 26, 2019 09:47

Oh c'mon, the Dead played many more shows to many more thousands of people in the U.S. than the Stones. 24 years after Jerry Garcia's death, multiple Major League Baseball teams are hosting Grateful Dead-themed tribute nights at their parks. Practically every MLB (and many NFL) franchise has a version of their logo superimposed on the SYF logo. Don Henley sang his little ditty about "a Deadhead sticker on a Cadillac", not a tongue and lips logo on a Wall Street broker's briefcase. There are nationally syndicated Grateful Dead weekly radio shows like David Gans' "The Grateful Dead Hour", and numerous weekly locally produced Grateful Dead programs to be heard on broadcast radio in the States. Can't think of any for the Stones. The Dead's brand is stronger here.

Date: August 26, 2019 10:23

Okay you win Dave ….. anyway dunno why
I'm worried cause I hardly ever wear T's …. too claustrophobic ….. gotta be free

ROCKMAN

Posted by: SKILLS ()
Date: August 26, 2019 10:45

I just like a consistent FONT style, Thin Lizzy, Maiden, Dokken, ACDC, Metallica... There's a theme emerging here. Hard Rock & Metal bands are excellent branders, they see the profit potential in fostering a tribal effect among fans, and I love it, nothing better than seeing another fan wearing a similar T-Shirt, at Stones gigs especially, it's like being in a cool club for a few hours. I've had people offer me stupid money for the 89' Steel Wheels shirt with the split tongue in blue and orange, not for sale I intend to die in it.

Posted by: FrogSugar ()
Date: August 26, 2019 11:23

SKILLS
I just like a consistent FONT style, Thin Lizzy, Maiden, Dokken, ACDC, Metallica...

I guess you hate Mötley Crüe then, eh?! Their logo changes on every album cover (a fun fact I stumbled upon last year - and never noticed myself even though I'm a huge fan).

@Javadave: agreed... as a former California resident, that SYF design is everywhere, much for frequent than the Stones one. Love the Dead myself, amazing how many live albums they put out and keep putting out to this day - absolute setlist variety masters!

Posted by: ab ()
Date: August 26, 2019 12:28

The YES logo lives on, 47 years after first appearing on Close to the Edge. Steve Howe's lineup has no original members, though Tony Kaye guested for a few songs per night last year.

Date: August 26, 2019 18:02

To set the record straight:

[iorr.org]

It says it all without saying anything.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: August 26, 2019 18:31

SKILLS
I just like a consistent FONT style, Thin Lizzy, Maiden, Dokken, ACDC, Metallica... There's a theme emerging here. Hard Rock & Metal bands are excellent branders, they see the profit potential in fostering a tribal effect among fans, and I love it, nothing better than seeing another fan wearing a similar T-Shirt, at Stones gigs especially, it's like being in a cool club for a few hours. I've had people offer me stupid money for the 89' Steel Wheels shirt with the split tongue in blue and orange, not for sale I intend to die in it.

The Stones have never had a distinct font or typeface, it changed with every album.
My favourite has always been the "Sticky Fingers" "branding iron".

[www.45worlds.com]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-26 18:36 by Deltics.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: August 26, 2019 18:58

Logo? Who needs a logo?

[www.45worlds.com]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-26 19:00 by Deltics.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: August 26, 2019 20:07

Deltics
Logo? Who needs a logo?

[www.45worlds.com]

Exactly. Ironic that the band who least needs a logo also has the coolest one.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: August 26, 2019 20:23

Sometimes it is best to have no logo ...
A good example was this video store, MEGAFLICKS :

Date: August 26, 2019 22:19

Reminds me of a verbal issue with "Sofa King"

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: August 26, 2019 22:45

blivet

"Cheap Trick" in the same presentation on every record, just to pick an example out of the air, just seemed kind of, I don't know, stifled.

I've always loved the tongue, but back in the day it was the logo for the band's record company rather than the band itself. I'm suppose I'm splitting hairs at this point, though.

Agreed! Although I love some bands' logos.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: August 27, 2019 00:26

Apart from the tongue, I've always liked Van Halen's logos, the VH with wings. It's varied a bit over the years, the original on the cover of Van Halen 1, then the style on Van Halen 2 which was used til 5150 with the circular wings. Now back to the classic Van Halen 2 style.

I think I mentioned here before that I liked the logo for the band Angel, a glam rock band from the late 70's. Don't know any of their songs but their logo is the same upside down as it is right side up! Don't know how to post here though.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2096
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home