Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
how can people defend the set list from last night Philly?
Posted by: kees ()
Date: October 15, 2005 07:44

Last gig in Philly: out of 21 songs, 16 warhorses! Crazy. Lazy.
Compared to Dallas 89 13 songs are the same........
If I had paid $400 for a ticket I would feel badly screwed.
Anyway, in Europe, the Stones will not be able to charge over 100,- for a stadium ticket. If they do, I predict many half filled stadiums, espec. with ABB selling so poor.

Re: how can people defend the set list from last night Philly?
Posted by: RankOutsider ()
Date: October 15, 2005 11:23

Give up the set-list whining already. Everyone knows they're gonna get the war horses by now, so why bitch about it? duh. And what's wrong with them anyway? It's not like the war horses aren't some of the best goddamn rock 'n' roll songs ever written. The 'war horses' are why most of us are Stones fans, be grateful.

I ain't stupid, I'm just guitarded.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-10-15 12:04 by RankOutsider.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: October 15, 2005 11:51

16 warhorses??? In my mind the only warhorses are:

SMU
IORR
JJF
BS
GS
Satisfaction
TD
SFTD
SFM

...And that's it. I'm not even sure about TD and GS.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Esky ()
Date: October 15, 2005 13:16

Look - lets face it - the band are in their comfort zone.
Whatever they play they still get their cash.

No longer do they have the skill to play a variety of songs. Keith & Ronnie can only play the warhorses with any conviction. We all heard what happened when they played Sway!!

I'm just disappointed they don't play more songs off their new album.

These setlists are not surprising to me.

Esky

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: October 15, 2005 15:02

ZZZZZzzzzzz

Posted by: michel ()
Date: October 15, 2005 15:25

are u just putting us on????? or are you really so unsatisfied? the stones always had a steady set list(this means you can be complayning from the start) ofcourse there will be some more surprises..the stones on a great tour in 2005 is the real surprise, and a bigger bang ofcourse!

Posted by: somesmerized ()
Date: October 15, 2005 15:30

> Anyway, in Europe, the Stones will not be able to
> charge over 100,- for a stadium ticket.

AH AH AH AH AH AH AH AH ! Excellent !!! I like your sense of humor dude !!!

Posted by: Steven ()
Date: October 15, 2005 15:53

Get used to the fact that the stadiums in Europe will be filled with foriegners if the locals don't buy the tickets.

Posted by: rknuth ()
Date: October 15, 2005 16:01

>Look - lets face it - the band are in their comfort zone.

exactly that why they gave up Sway!

Posted by: Buddha66 ()
Date: October 15, 2005 16:05

I LOVE the set lists...
This is the best Rock and Roll ever played...and they're playing it for us every night.

If you want obscure tunes I think Cold Play is on tour

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: October 15, 2005 16:12

same book, different cover

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: October 15, 2005 16:17

what do u consider a warhorse? anything ever heard on the radio? get over it they rock!!!!!

Posted by: Buddha66 ()
Date: October 15, 2005 16:47

They could play the 12 or 13 song "warhorse" set, walk off, and I'd still pay 500 bucks.
This is history in the making boys and girls...embrace it

Posted by: dj ()
Date: October 15, 2005 17:41

As BV has mentioned countless times, the setlist is not necessarily a barometer of the quality of the show. For Philly #2 many songs were played in a different sequence than in prior shows. The pacing was phenomenal. BOMH into MR was worth the price of admission. You had to be there. Reading the list of songs played tells about a tenth of the story.

Posted by: FAH3 ()
Date: October 15, 2005 18:11

dj Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> As BV has mentioned countless times, the setlist
> is not necessarily a barometer of the quality of
> the show. For Philly #2 many songs were played in
> a different sequence than in prior shows. The
> pacing was phenomenal. BOMH into MR was worth the
> price of admission. You had to be there. Reading
> the list of songs played tells about a tenth of
> the story.

Changing the order of the songs doesn't constitute variety in the setlists. I was at both nights in Philly and thought the first night was superior, despite the the IORR/Satisfaction snafu, which was priceless. Was the playing great at the second night? Absolutely it was. What really shocked me was that they did YGMR both nights. The song has been very good on this tour but it's not a warhorse and not worthy of inclusion at every show. Frankly I thought it was lacking on the B-stage night 2. It works much better as the 2nd song of the set.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: October 15, 2005 18:12

This is how a set list works in real life. Read the Philly 1 and 2 reviws carefully and you will understand. I have been busy with IORR 53 lately but there are lots more reviews received and I will try to publish those too between the new shows during the next few days.

If they don't play a big hitter early then the crowd is kind of rocket without lift-off. Doesn't look nice when it burns down to a big black hole in the ground. So then they have Paint It Black or Ruby Tuesday or some other catalyst song or combination of songs that bridge the steem from the opening song, where everybody is on fire, into this song in the set. That one is often due to the local crowd. Might be different at different places. But you see the reaction right away. People who were thinking of going to the restrooms or having a snack or just talk to their friend or do a phone call or other boring stuff at a show just freak out and pay attention. Singing. dancing. Screaming for more.

It's and art and they are working hard on it. And you most certainly can not sit at home and judge by your own feelings and peronal taste if that is a lame set list. Well you may of course say "for me it is a lame set list". But then there will always be somebody that don't like any set list so that's a different story. Also I have said dozens of times that songs like Back Of My Hand and other new ones plus slow ones are really not popular. Still the Stones keep playing them. Because they know that over time and by the time this tour is over and when people go home they will start getting this song getting back to their heads and buy the album or go to another show and think wow that is a grat song but how come I dod not understand it while they played it? Well because the Stones are not like a sunset. First you see the beauty and then it is cold. No it's more like a sunrise. First you get the beauty but some times you have to wait a bit and then you realize what you just experienced was the real thing.

Bjornulf

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: October 15, 2005 18:47

kees Wrote:
> Anyway, in Europe, the Stones will not be able to charge over 100,- for a stadium ticket >

Now that IS funny. Sorry, remind us which planet you're from ................ not THIS one obviously !!!

Date: October 15, 2005 18:49

Well if that's the case with the new songs/slow ones, it is a damn pity that the Stones do not attract a crowd who has grown with them. Like U2, Springsteen and Dylan fans do with their bands.
It means basically that the Stones stopped being of significance in 1980 / Start me Up.
Jumping Kent Flesh: I meant they played 16 'old' songs and just 5 new ones.

Date: October 15, 2005 18:51

Charging more than Euro 100,- will defintely mean ' not sold out at all' stadiums. I am not talking about indoor gigs.
I am from the planet called Holland. Let's see next summer.

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: October 15, 2005 18:54

You really need to check the definition of warhorses.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-10-15 18:56 by BowieStone.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: October 15, 2005 19:30

>>Anyway, in Europe, the Stones will not be able to charge over 100,- for a stadium ticket. If they do, I predict many half filled stadiums, espec. with ABB selling so poor.

ABB is still #5 in Europe after 5 weeks, a @#$%& hit album there.

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: October 15, 2005 19:35

bv,
are slow ones really not popular? How can people be so low brow?

Posted by: Glimmer Twin ()
Date: October 15, 2005 21:13

paulywaul Wrote:
> kees Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Anyway, in Europe, the Stones will not be
> able to charge over 100,- for a stadium ticket
> >
>
> Now that IS funny. Sorry, remind us which planet
> you're from ................ not THIS one
> obviously !!!

It's not that funny paulywaul, in fact I think it might be true.
I don't know when it was the last time you saw them in Europe. I saw them on august 13 2003 in Rotterdam (feyenoord stadium) I was up front (2nd row) and I paid 70 euro's for my ticket. I paid $160 (Canadian) to see them in Montréal next January (not even on the floor) and that is the same amount as on the Licks tour, so I don't think there will be a huge increase in the ticket prices in Europe. The thing is that someone in N-America once had the STUPID idea of putting seats on the floor, in Europe the floor (field) is always general admission and thus giving real fans the chance to see them from up close instead of people with too much money who come walking in 2 minutes before the show starts. I guess it is too much for the American audience to stand up during the show.

Date: October 15, 2005 21:17

glimmer twin said:

>I guess it is too much for the American audience to stand up during the show.

what the hell u talking about?!!it's not the american audience's fault that there are seats . i have been to many many show and NEVER sit.

Date: October 15, 2005 21:25

I'm sorry you didn't see the sarcasm in my remark. I just wanted to make clear that I think it's the stupidest thing I've ever seen. In my opinion the floor (field) should be general admission to experience the real concert feeling.

Date: October 15, 2005 21:33

sorry glimmer i was coming to the aid of my fellow americans.

no hard feelings i hope

Date: October 15, 2005 21:44

J.J.Flash Wrote:

> no hard feelings i hope

Not at all. Since 4 years I live on this side of the ocean too.

Date: October 15, 2005 22:16

see u in chicago jan 23 & 25!

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: October 15, 2005 22:18

kees Wrote:
> Charging more than Euro 100,- will defintely mean 'not sold out at all' stadiums. I am not talking about indoor gigs. I am from the planet called Holland. Let's see next summer. >

Well I hope you're right on ticket prices. I personally have no wish to pay more - when I could pay less. But I cannot for one moment imagine that ticket prices will be any lower than they were for the Licks tour when it went through Europe in 2003. I can't recall exactly what I paid for Paris Stade de France, I think it was approx Euro 170 though. I'd love to imagine that I could be back there in the Stade de France three years later and pay less than I did in 2003, I just don't think it's very likely - that's all. Maybe life is less expensive on "planet Holland", here on "planet United Kingdom" I can safely say that you're very unlikely to be seeing the Stones in either arena or stadium for less than 100 Euros in the year 2006 - not unless you've got the crappiest seat in the place that they couild barely give away !

Having said - I hope I'm wrong ! It'll mean MORE shows for LESS money !!

Posted by: G. the Cock ()
Date: October 15, 2005 22:25

how can people defend the set list from last night Philly?

How???

Because they've rocked! Really!!!

I haven't been there - have to wait for the european shows this time - but I've listened to the recording this afternoon! I'm getting more than bored about your set list complains!!! The Stones are much better than anybody of us could expect these days, let's just enjoy them!!!!

Truth is stranger than fiction

stoned greetings
G. The Cock

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1414
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home