Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7891011121314151617...LastNext
Current Page: 12 of 18
Re: Foxboro/Boston show 7-July-2019 live updates - The Rolling Stones No Filter Tour
Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: July 8, 2019 18:37

keefriff99
mnewman505
Keith never said he stopped drinking completely --- he says he still has a beer from time to time. I'll see if I can find the exact quote.
Yes, that is true.

I think he's also smoking A LOT of weed...which I couldn't care less about, but I get the impression that that's his big vice now.

Unfortunately at nearly 76 years of age, a few cigarettes a few beers and a few joints will give you the sort of performance we got last night, tired.

Weird thing was Keith did a better Sympathy solo twice than ive seen in decades.

You can never write him off and it was hot last night.

Lets hope he comes back energized next week, lay off of everything but vitamins Keith winking smiley

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-08 18:53 by keithsman.

Re: Foxboro/Boston show 7-July-2019 live updates - The Rolling Stones No Filter Tour
Posted by: MacLaurens ()
Date: July 8, 2019 18:54

Except for MR, what other songs did Keith "screw up"?

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: July 8, 2019 18:56

Was last night all that different from his typical performance now? I don't think so based on the footage I've seen.

He's OLD. He acts moves a 75 year old man who hasn't exactly treated his body like a temple. I didn't see tired...I just saw a guy who knows his limitations and was putting his energy into his playing rather than putting on a show.

His Sympathy solo WAS very good, which is why I say he's playing better than he has in a while.

Date: July 8, 2019 18:58

MacLaurens
Nothing.

Was he perfect? No...but when was he ever?

My standard for a good Keith night is not "zero bum notes", because that'll never happen, but relatively speaking, he was VERY good last night.

Posted by: Shade ()
Date: July 8, 2019 19:09

Great show last night!

I thought the band performed well and chose good songs to play. They rocked hard and finished strong with an amazing encore.

We’re so blessed to have the Stones out on the road. Not many bands left that can fill a set list with rock anthems. One right after the other, it was awesome.

The stadium was both good and bad. Nice facility, easy to get to, a nightmare to enter and leave. Sinfully greedy prices for food and drinks. Owners should be ashamed.

The crowd was mostly good. There were a few annoying people seated nearby who came to the show to drink and urinate. Thanks a lot, I didn’t want to watch the concert, I wanted to be distracted by you walking by all night.

It was definitely a Stones concert in Massachusetts of 2019. Every shape and variety from the fan base was there. I didn’t see any problems or fights which was good.

So good. For one evening, time was on my side.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: July 8, 2019 19:11

All the Boston show reviews (even the mixed ones) will be published on Iorr Boston show page ? spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-08 19:12 by powerage78.

Date: July 8, 2019 19:33

MacLaurens

Not so much screw up as go through the motions, i expect too much from him that's my problem.
When people say getting better than ever and things like that, i just wonder have they ever seen what that man could do 20 years ago.

Date: July 8, 2019 19:36

keithsman
MacLaurens

Not so much screw up as go through the motions, i expect too much from him that's my problem.
When people say getting better than ever and things like that, i just wonder have they ever seen what that man could do 20 years ago.
Well, anyone who says "better than ever" is clearly not being objective, but post-2012, I'd say he's doing pretty damn good.

Posted by: Tbdster ()
Date: July 8, 2019 19:42

MacLaurens

I agree with some of the others that he seemed out of it a bit for parts of the night...Besides the Rambler gaffe, it sounded in parts of IORR that he was a bit off - I did get a text from a friend in a different part of the stadium that said "WTF is up with Keith?"

That being said, it didn't detract really from the show as a whole - Mick is jaw droppingly amazing, Ronnie was about the best I've ever seen him, and I love Keith, and he had his moments of brilliance as well.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 8, 2019 19:43

Stoneage
While theater or opera critics are very knowledgeable it often strikes me how that very seldom is the fact when it comes to rock and pop journalism.
So I tend to take these reviews with a piece of salt. It's one opinion of many. It's seldom a schooled opinion. Any journalist can write them. Or anyone who can write.

Perhaps true, so why not just rely on the schooled opinions of your fellow fans here on IORR and other fan sites..."BEST SHOW EVER"!!!winking smileythumbs up

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: July 8, 2019 19:54

keefriff99
Maindefender
Show thoughts: Man what a hot mess, ranging from absolutely awesome to borderline cringeworthy. Easily the strangest Stones show I've seen and the weakest Keith performance since 2012.

This was Jagger's night for sure, the adoration he got from the Foxborough crowd was well deserved and it amazes me how he can still perform at this high level. HE IS THE SHOW, to quote Bill Belichick Jagger can have "No Days Off".

Unfortunately my man Keith was not very energized. Maybe he spent the 4th Holiday in CT and forgot he was in the middle of a tour. With a week off until New Orleans I'm curious how he will be there. The cringe portion were the bum notes especially early on and Midnight Rambler where Keith restarted the song 3/4 of the way thru.(has this ever been done??) I want to think that the restart was Keith's way of getting Mick back in line, I'm curious what others think of that moment. His set was also lackluster, it hurt to realize how much of a "bathroom break" moment it was last night. Even my wife mentioned Keith's lack of energy at that time.

That being said Keith absolutely shined on YCAGWYW, PIB, HTW and Rambler onward.

Ron Wood is an amazing energy force.
Song of the night: Miss You
Gary Clark Jr's set was fantastic!!
I just have different expectations from Keith at this point. We're not going to see the hyper Keith stalking the stage, kicking his leg up and flailing his arms around anymore. He's 75 and he acts it now physically.

I didn't hear a lot of bum notes. You're never going to get perfection from the Stones, but relatively speaking, I thought Keith was tight by his standards all night.

I was really impressed by Ronnie's playing and energy. Now there's a guy who seems to have found the fountain of youth, but he's at least five years younger than the rest of them, he's focused on sobriety and has a young wife and twins to keep him fit.

It's just that IORR was so off, it reminded me of his performance at the Kennedy Library(okay maybe that's a little rough). But I wanted Keith to shine and get his due, especially to first time audience members. It's great that the band can laugh it off, but it's still a little curious. Maybe this is an example where it's a good idea to go to multiple shoes within a tour for a better sampling.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-09 01:41 by Maindefender.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: July 8, 2019 19:58

Hairball
Stoneage
While theater or opera critics are very knowledgeable it often strikes me how that very seldom is the fact when it comes to rock and pop journalism.
So I tend to take these reviews with a piece of salt. It's one opinion of many. It's seldom a schooled opinion. Any journalist can write them. Or anyone who can write.

Perhaps true, so why not just rely on the schooled opinions of your fellow fans here on IORR and other fan sites..."BEST SHOW EVER"!!!winking smileythumbs up

Anyone going to a Rolling Stones concert expecting a 1972/73 type concert (or even 1981/82) is a really just a bit silly. They are what they are, many of us still enjoy their shows a lot so why not just enjoy them while we still have them because sometime in the not too distant future that won't be the case.

A friend of mine who was there (and had been to two previous this tour) told me Ronnie had a bad night without mentioning any specifics...
Other than the sometimes spastic and discombobulated solo's of his at every show, anyone notice anything peculiar with Ronnie last night?

Tbdster
MacLaurens

I agree with some of the others that he seemed out of it a bit for parts of the night...Besides the Rambler gaffe, it sounded in parts of IORR that he was a bit off - I did get a text from a friend in a different part of the stadium that said "WTF is up with Keith?"

That being said, it didn't detract really from the show as a whole - Mick is jaw droppingly amazing, Ronnie was about the best I've ever seen him, and I love Keith, and he had his moments of brilliance as well.
He seemed to space out a few times...just staring blankly into the crowd before coming back to earth, but he was playing the whole time it happened, so it didn't really affect his performance.

I try to be objective about the shows I see...it's easy to be hyper-critical when you're watching a YouTube video, but maintaining objectivity when you're AT the show, singing and moving around with a crowd and having a great time...it's not easy.

That said, I just can't find much to critique in Keith's performance. Yes, he was subdued (sluggish even?), that manic Keith energy isn't there anymore, but his playing was tight. He didn't play any embarrassing solos like so many of his recent Sympathy performances, or Out of Control from Havana.

He was AMAZING on Start Me Up, Jumpin' Jack Flash, Gimme Shelter and Satisfaction. His rhythm playing was crunchy and driving...THAT'S what I want to hear. I don't need to see him throwing leg kicks and swinging his arms around...I loved Keith the co-frontman, but at this stage of his life, laying down the rhythmic foundation for the songs is good enough for me.

And truth be told, when Keith was more concerned with posing and being a cool MFer onstage, the songs suffered. There would be big empty gaps in the rhythm because his arms WEREN'T doing what they should have been doing, which was playing the damn guitar.

Posted by: snoopy2 ()
Date: July 8, 2019 20:03

Listening to the scopes last night all I heard was:

"That was epic!"
"This is amazing!'
"That show ROCKED!"
"Wow.. Just wow!"

Come to IORR:
"Ughh, wtfs happened to them.. why aren't they rocking better?"

I mean this lightheartedly (but honestly) of course.. Without this site I wouldn't have half the inside info which I wholeheartedly appreciate.. It's just that if ever in doubt, go to the scopes, and you won't be able to do anything but smile at the fun people are having smiling smiley

Date: July 8, 2019 20:03

Hairball
A friend of mine who was there (and had been to two previous this tour) told me Ronnie had a bad night without mentioning any specifics...
Other than the sometimes spastic and discombobulated solo's of his at every show, anyone notice anything peculiar with Ronnie last night?
Eh, not really. It's amazing how people can have such vastly different opinions of the same show.

I thought Ronnie was damn solid last night. His solos for Tumblin' Dice, Ride 'Em On Down, Start Me Up and Midnight Rambler were all great. I loved his sitar-style fills in Paint It Black as well.

He was up in the mix and was playing some tight rhythm too.

Date: July 8, 2019 20:06

keefriff99
keithsman
MacLaurens

Well, anyone who says "better than ever" is clearly not being objective, but post-2012, I'd say he's doing pretty damn good.

But people forget he was ever like this that think he was on top form last night, it's the difference in between night and day in his performance , about 4.42 onward he just shows what Rock n Roll is all about, energy and attitude. Charlies amazing too, the whole thing just lifts you.
[www.youtube.com]

Date: July 8, 2019 20:12

keefriff99
Hairball
Eh, not really. It's amazing how people can have such vastly different opinions of the same show.

I thought Ronnie was damn solid last night. His solos for Tumblin' Dice, Ride 'Em On Down, Start Me Up and Midnight Rambler were all great. I loved his sitar-style fills in Paint It Black as well.

He was up in the mix and was playing some tight rhythm too.

Yeah, different opinions...different perspectives....different expectations...different conclusions...
Interesting to read and hear about them all.

Date: July 8, 2019 20:14

Hairball

Yeah i noticed that too but God help anyone who mentions Ronnie having a bad night on here, brave man Hairball, remember Ronnie's been straight for 8 years lol, believe that and you believe anything.

Date: July 8, 2019 20:14

keithsman
keefriff99
keithsman
MacLaurens

But people forget he was ever like this that think he was on top form last night, it's the difference in between night and day in his performance , about 4.42 onward he just shows what Rock n Roll is all about, energy and attitude. Charlies amazing too, the whole thing just lifts you.
[www.youtube.com]
Well, yeah...I miss those days too. I wish I could shave 21 years off my 40 year old body, LOL.

But there were some downsides back then...Ronnie was often high and/or drunk out of his mind and a liability. Chuck's plinking was intrusive and too loud.

Overall there was more energy and spectacle then, but for a group of guys in their mid/late 70s, I'm content with where they're at.

Posted by: lovingcup22 ()
Date: July 8, 2019 20:21

keefriff99

And truth be told, when Keith was more concerned with posing and being a cool MFer onstage, the songs suffered. There would be big empty gaps in the rhythm because his arms WEREN'T doing what they should have been doing, which was playing the damn guitar.

Totally true! Keith is a rock God, we all want the best for him!

Date: July 8, 2019 20:22

keefriff99
keithsman
keefriff99
keithsman
MacLaurens

[www.youtube.com]
Well, yeah...I miss those days too. I wish I could shave 21 years off my 40 year old body, LOL.

But there were some downsides back then...Ronnie was often high and/or drunk out of his mind and a liability. Chuck's plinking was intrusive and too loud.

Overall there was more energy and spectacle then, but for a group of guys in their mid/late 70s, I'm content with where they're at.

Ever wonder how good those years might have been if Ronnie got his shit together at the same tome as Keith.
I hear what you are saying, and i agree Keith can't be 60' anymore, hes 76' it's just that since 07' Keith has been showing varying degrees of hanging on, i still enjoy the shows and the sound of Keith guitar is fantastic these days live, i just wish he put a little more into it. He was definitely tired last night, he could do with taking what ever Ronnie is on these days winking smiley

Date: July 8, 2019 20:27

keithsman
Hairball

Yeah i noticed that too but God help anyone who mentions Ronnie having a bad night on here, brave man Hairball, remember Ronnie's been straight for 8 years lol, believe that and you believe anything.

Personally I didn't notice anything different from the "norm" as I was just watching via various live feeds on a laptop - not always the best way to judge specifics of a live show (though some things do standout no matter how you view it). Was just relaying some thoughts from a friend who was actually there, and was wondering if anyone else who was actually there noticed anything.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: July 8, 2019 20:27

yes on the one side the "BEST SHOW EVER" unobjective response, on the other side the same unbojective response of those who don't want to put the passing of time in their calculations. keithsman,why not compare a clip of SFM from 1972 to last nite opener.? it would be an even easier win than a 1998 JJF. if the conclusion shall be that they should have retired years ago that would make a very strong point.
and I might even agree. Fact is that they re still around and I love them (and they make me mad) as they are, now, players in their mid-seventies. to expect the energy of 20 or 40 years ago is really well, not realistic?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-08 20:32 by maumau.

Date: July 8, 2019 20:32

maumau
yes on the one side the "BEST SHOW EVER" unobjective response, on the other side the same unbojective response of those who don't want to put the passing of time in their calculations. keithsman,why not compare a clip of SFM from 1972 to last nite opener.? it would be an even easier win than a 1998 JJF. if the conclusion shall be that they should have retired years ago that would a very strong point.

No mate you are missing the point, i'm fed up with people saying the Stones are getting better, i just tried to show a clip that proves they are not getting better despite what Keith, Ron and countless fans think.
It's just nice to also remember the way they used to play, the energy and attitude was incredible.
What you see now is a circus act, a very expensive one.

Posted by: spikenyc ()
Date: July 8, 2019 20:35

keithsman
keefriff99
keithsman
MacLaurens

[www.youtube.com]

I was at that MSG show. Keef ROCKS on JJF!

Date: July 8, 2019 20:36

keithsman
keefriff99
keithsman
keefriff99
keithsman
MacLaurens

[www.youtube.com]

Ever wonder how good those years might have been if Ronnie got his shit together at the same tome as Keith.
I hear what you are saying, and i agree Keith can't be 60' anymore, hes 76' it's just that since 07' Keith has been showing varying degrees of hanging on, i still enjoy the shows and the sound of Keith guitar is fantastic these days live, i just wish he put a little more into it. He was definitely tired last night, he could do with taking what ever Ronnie is on these days winking smiley
If Ronnie is on anything, it's HGH and TRT. I truly don't think he could function if he was burning the candle at both ends the way he used to.

The thing is Keith DIDN'T have his shit together back then. He was drinking and coked out of his mind, but he could hack it onstage in that condition, where Ronnie often couldn't.

That's where Keith's energy came from, but it wasn't sustainable at his age. The fact he partied as hard as he did for as long as he did is remarkable, but it still caught up with him, and what you see onstage now is a side effect of that.

Date: July 8, 2019 20:42

keithsman
maumau
yes on the one side the "BEST SHOW EVER" unobjective response, on the other side the same unbojective response of those who don't want to put the passing of time in their calculations. keithsman,why not compare a clip of SFM from 1972 to last nite opener.? it would be an even easier win than a 1998 JJF. if the conclusion shall be that they should have retired years ago that would a very strong point.

No mate you are missing the point, i'm fed up with people saying the Stones are getting better, i just tried to show a clip that proves they are not getting better despite what Keith, Ron and countless fans think.
It's just nice to also remember the way they used to play, the energy and attitude was incredible.
What you see now is a circus act, a very expensive one.
I thoroughly disagree.

First of all, the Stones have been accused of being a circus act since 1989 (the "Vegas era")...if anything, they've reversed course dramatically since 2012.

They've drastically reduced the number of side musicians onstage and simplified their sound. They don't tour stadiums with wildly over-the-top Mark Fisher stages anymore (a Bigger Bang was the last stage monstrosity).

I'd say they've re-emphasized the focus on the music.

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: July 8, 2019 20:44

Was it just me or did he butcher the first few bars/lines of "Before they Make Me Run" pretty badly?

I don't think the MR "re-start" was Keith just joking around....I think he forgot where he was in the song completely.

These are just my observations, they are not complaints...Keith is who he is and I love him for that.

it was a fun show and a great night.

Other observations: the Stones should do WAY more acoustic songs....WAY MORE.

Ride 'em on Down was the bomb and Gary Clark jr. is great.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: July 8, 2019 20:46

[www.youtube.com]
watching MR right now.When Keith hits that opening riff during the middle, he clearly does so deliberately. He's plainly goofing off. In a way that seems connected to what happened in Chicaco. But even more, I believe it's in response to the very poor audience interaction. At 6:05 Micks body language suggests very much that he feels let down by the reaction. What Keith does shows irreverence like "well if they don't get into it, we might as well..."

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7891011121314151617...LastNext
Current Page: 12 of 18

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1977
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home