Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

get Sway back into the setlist
Posted by: kees ()
Date: October 12, 2005 15:33

Why did they drop this song after playing it only one time? Because not enough fans where singing along? Can't believe that Jagger cares so much about this. Putting in Angie again is too easy.
In the past they played whole tours Prodigal Son, Let me go, Hang fire, Faraway Eyes, etc. Unknown songs but they did not care whether the audience knew the songs or not and that is how it should be.

Re: get Sway back into the setlist
Posted by: bv ()
Date: October 12, 2005 15:50

If it does not work then they don't perform it. It would be a waste to play something only the hard core fans are waiting for. And they did actually try it out with a limited response. May be they plan to rehearse it more. May be they bring it back for MSG in January. Or may be it is gone forever. They have 100's of songs in their catalog so it is hard to demand every song.

Look what is happening when they leave out the big hits. Philly on Monday. Not performin IORR and people complain. If they don't play Satisfaction then at thousands of fans are un-satisfied. Same with a lot others. They play one new song here and one new song there. Now up to 41 different songs played in a set of some 20. If they wary too much then we will get unrehearsed songs. It is not a jazz/jam show. It is a band of 13 people on stage with a big sound and visual crew that need to be coordinated. Most people want it to be smooth and perfect. So they play what is safe and working. Works fine with me. With some spice in it every now and then.

Bjornulf

Posted by: Rank Outsider ()
Date: October 12, 2005 16:09

I bet nobody would complain if Keith did NOT play Infamy and The worst at the next show, though.

Posted by: James Lynn ()
Date: October 12, 2005 16:22

Sway is incredible. have not heard them do it live from recent past. looking foward to it. Great song. I agree if not Sway add another non 40 lick gem in its place. How about child of the Moon mEZ

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: October 12, 2005 16:29

Perhaps they could bring it back for theatre shows if they're worried about offending the masses. However, I think they should give it another go at Arenas - after all, it's second song in on what is, arguably, their greatest album! (I know - EOMS is my fave as well!) Why is it that CYHMK was OK but not Sway? For that matter, why Rocks Off - that isn't exactly on the greatest hits package.

No, I think the reason they don't want to play it is that they can't play it as well as they would like to. Some songs just don't gel live and you can't always break down the reason why.

Posted by: tat2you ()
Date: October 12, 2005 16:30

bv Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If it does not work then they don't perform it. It
> would be a waste to play something only the hard
> core fans are waiting for. And they did actually
> try it out with a limited response. May be they
> plan to rehearse it more. May be they bring it
> back for MSG in January. Or may be it is gone
> forever. They have 100's of songs in their catalog
> so it is hard to demand every song.
>
> Look what is happening when they leave out the big
> hits. Philly on Monday. Not performin IORR and
> people complain. If they don't play Satisfaction
> then at thousands of fans are un-satisfied. Same
> with a lot others. They play one new song here and
> one new song there. Now up to 41 different songs
> played in a set of some 20. If they wary too much
> then we will get unrehearsed songs. It is not a
> jazz/jam show. It is a band of 13 people on stage
> with a big sound and visual crew that need to be
> coordinated. Most people want it to be smooth and
> perfect. So they play what is safe and working.
> Works fine with me. With some spice in it every
> now and then.
>
> Bjornulf
I agree most of the people how go to show maybe 90% are seeing them once......they are not the DEAD...where 90% went to evry show ......i would love for them to play exile cover to cover ...not going to happen ....,

Posted by: bv ()
Date: October 12, 2005 16:35

Yes I think it is complex to get working live so it is really two problems. Both the performing part and the fact that they got limited response. But we can hope for a 2nd try of course. I would love to hear it some plays. Having just heard it many times through the rehearsals walls in Toronto this summer. Where it sounded fantastic.

Bjornulf

Date: October 12, 2005 16:39

They've been doing tours for quite a long time now.I find it hard to believe that any given show on this tour would be the first Stones concert for 90% of the crowd.

Posted by: tat2you ()
Date: October 12, 2005 16:42

i did not mean first show i meant that they will only see one show.....i would see them as much as possible ..3 on this tour would like more.....but the average is more like one show per go around....i could be wrong....

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: October 12, 2005 19:10

i love the studio version of sway...but i just can't imagine it would sound as good live.....i don't think they could even re-record it again and have it sound as good... some things are just better left un-played....its like some great art masters..you just can't replace or remake them..

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: October 12, 2005 19:16

yeah taylor is a painter,a soloist,that took jagger's chord foundation and made
it a masterpiece.

play that guitar boy

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: October 12, 2005 19:33

I see your point BV but i think, and i hope the stones too, you can't judge the reaction by one perfomrance. Some songs get better receptions in different city's. Maybe the crowd i a bit lame one night in comparison too another night. So you can't say that if it doesn't work the first time in one city it won't work in every other city!

Cheers,
Wuudy

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: October 12, 2005 19:53

bv Wrote:

> Look what is happening when they leave out the big
> hits. Philly on Monday. Not performin IORR and
> people complain. If they don't play Satisfaction
> then at thousands of fans are un-satisfied.

Ironic that people would be unsatisfied if they don't play (I can't get No) Satisfaction. But honestly, did people complain because they didn't play IORR?
It's a great song, but still that surprises me.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: October 12, 2005 20:02

sjs12 Wrote:
> Why is it that CYHMK
> was OK but not Sway? For that matter, why Rocks
> Off - that isn't exactly on the greatest hits
> package.

Because those 2 are keith's riffs. Sway is mick's. So keith's never played it before.

Posted by: aprilfool ()
Date: October 12, 2005 20:10

They didn't play "satisfaction" during 72, 73, 75 and 76. Personaly, I think if it will be better if they stop to play "jumping jack flash" The way keith play it is horrible, very metallic. Everybody has his own idea of that. They can play what they want. The only probleme is the ticket price.

Date: October 12, 2005 20:13

CYHMK is actually two songs - The first part is keith's riff and the second part
is taylor's

Posted by: Leonard Keringer ()
Date: October 12, 2005 20:14

they did play satisfaction at knebworth in '76...a revved up version...excellent!!

Posted by: J-J-Flash ()
Date: October 12, 2005 20:22

This site is full of bullocks. Hardcore fans only know Sway??, what crap is that? I have many friends who only have 2 or 3 Stones cds and they also feel the set list is crap and loaded with crap songs like You Got Me Rocking, Miss You and so on. Who complained about not having IORR in the set list and really who cares. The same person (BV) that says this also says you can't please everyone with the set list.

And there is a better chance of a casual fan knowing Sway or Can't You Hear Me Knocking than knowing YGMR or Out Of Control. Seriously face it, they want to play what is easiest for them to shine on.

Despite the sound of the guitars being much improved and a great new album, most of the people or just about everyone that I have personally talked with about their experience at the Stones show were generally dissappointed by the set list and lack of playing songs like Sway, CYHMK, MR.

Also since the early 90s I have never seen a fan at a Stones show who has said this there first one.

Date: October 12, 2005 20:26

In order to play those warehorses or any of the obscure golden era material they need another guitar virtuso to help enrich and play that body of work.plain and simple.

open tunings can only take you so far when playing live

play that guitar boy

Posted by: BersaGurra ()
Date: October 12, 2005 20:44

The only song they need to play is Satisfation the rest of the boring set list can be varied everyday!!! The last part of the set list (starting with Keith) with the exception from Get off my Cloud is completely useless for the greatest live band in the world??? I can not belive they can enjoy themselves dwelling on these warhorses.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: October 12, 2005 20:47

it's laziness....you can argue the merits and logic about why the warhorses must remain...yadda yadda yadda. the fact of the matter is that the Stones don't wanna push themselves at this advanced age (hey - that's understandable, I suppose)...and that's why we're seeing what we're seeing.

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: October 12, 2005 20:51

Agree with you T&A. It is nothing but pure laziness. Since I brought many friends and family to various Stones shows this tour and sort of talked a big game about the Stones, all I found myself doing after the shows was defending them because they almost the same set again with poor choices like YGMR, MY and so on. You can't tell me that concert goers would not know Sway or Mother's Little Helper but they would know YGMR. Thats BS.

Its simply because the Stones can play songs like YGMR with their eyes closed but tunes like Mother's Little Helper may require some work.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: October 12, 2005 20:54

Hound Dog - I clink my glass of "whine" with yours - cheers!

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: October 12, 2005 20:54

they better at least try sway again. it wasn't that bad(wood's solo was not good) i'd be disappointed if they don't give it one more try, say, in chicago in january!!!!!!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1610
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home